You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Publisher - Sneak Preview

TonyB

1 hour ago, Patrick Connor said:

No such thing now, considering the age of this thread, we have expected people to wait and wait and very few have left in disgust. Any requests for info now could only fairly be described as patient. :)

I saw at least one stomp off in "disgust" You announce "Summer of 2018" did you not? This being July, stomping shoes are not ye appropriate. 

Actually you have until September 23 rd at 1:54 UTC time before anyone needs to dust off the torches and pitchforks

You may add this to your calendar

https://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180923T0154&p0=1323&msg=Publisher+Released+...+or+else&ud=1&font=cursive

Affinity Designer 2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212 Affinity Photo 2.2.2075  beta 2.3.1.2212Affinity Publisher  2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212

Windows 11 Pro Version    22H2
OS build    22621.1928
Processor    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700 CPU @ 2.90GHz   2.90 GHz
Installed RAM    16.0 GB (15.7 GB usable)
System type    64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

yoda.png

45 minutes ago, Jens Krebs said:

Sometimes, stomping off dramatically can be quite fun and satisfying -- as can be sneaking back in loafers later and enjoying the fuss that was made. 

You have poignantly stated a truth. We often attach the label "Troll" to that kind of behavior or at least childish, although we can all get a bit pissed off at times for varying reasons.

I kind of roll my eyes at the stomping off in here. They told us Summer of this year so really no valid crying until the Equinox in September 

Affinity Designer 2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212 Affinity Photo 2.2.2075  beta 2.3.1.2212Affinity Publisher  2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212

OS build    22621.1928

yoda.png

I'd rather have a Beta later in september and spent those sunny days lazying and sunbathing — at least a few minutes before I find it too hot and go reading or doing something other in a cooler place — than playing around on my computer testing APublisher! :P

1 hour ago, Rick G said:

...I kind of roll my eyes at the stomping off in here. They told us Summer of this year so really no valid crying until the Equinox in September 

But at least for some that have expressed themselves in unsavory manner are justifying the behavior because this isn't the first promise APub will be ready and have seen that promise evaporate. While I don't condone the expression of some posters, I do understand the point of the posts.

17 minutes ago, Tr3b0r76 said:

I can’t wait. Will there be a Designer for the iPad too?

And maybe even the Publisher and a video editor for iPad?

Serif have indicated that they have no plans to add a video editor to the Affinity suite, but I haven’t seen anything about Publisher on iPad.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4 (iPad 7th gen)

On 7/7/2018 at 11:25 AM, Tourmaline said:

It won't be perfect at all at the first launch because it won't incorporate all the features people want now...

I am more then happy if it does all the basics very well.

ok, thats something ))

Btw. basic things: just curious if AF has not been starting planning/coding also?/ from total null/scratch, PageSerifwhatever isn a foundation to AFP in any extent ?

cheers,

AF Photo+Designer+Publisher and their betas on Win10 x64/Gtx760+AmdFX+24GB RAM

35 minutes ago, Zbigg said:

Btw. basic things: just curious if AF has not been starting planning/coding also?/ from total null/scratch, PageSerifwhatever isn a foundation to AFP in any extent ?

PagePlus is Windows-only, and its codebase is two decades old. The Affinity apps were built from scratch, beginning about six years ago, and although they were originally launched for Mac they were designed to be ‘platform agnostic’ so that they could readily be made available for other platforms.

Alfred spacer.png

On 7/7/2018 at 10:09 AM, Tourmaline said:

They need money to continue developing. So selling new products to get income is a normal way of doing things. You can't expect them to work for free, do you? Income ensures development of all products.

If this is the mentality & attitude of a company (which I doubt it is of Serif) then it is best to shut shop!!!! This is not how to run a software company!!!! So your explanation is flawed!

Selling new products to get income is wrong? Lol... there are different business models in software companies, I've seen several, very different ones, put in practice working at software companies, and definitely, this would be not a wrong one (selling to stay alive is one more common than you'd think. Even if having some strong funding has a lot of advantages, but it has its strong cons, seen that a lot). In my latest place, it used an extremely crazy business model if seen from outside, but the fact is it worked, looking at the internal books. Many ways of doing are possible, it is more related on how it is handled. And there are zero reasons to complain against Serif. Yes, the development takes time, as they are in several fronts, but also because the endeavor is complicated itself. The shut shop expression, quite an extreme for qualifying that line of business, and the 4 exclamation signs, unnecessary/inappropriate. Of course, it is an opinion (even if way exaggerated), then I do reply with mine.... So, nope, his explanation is not flawed. We could debate why one business model is better than another, but it would strongly depend on what circumstances a specific company is having, in a given moment. Circumstances (like funds, board of investors, company structure, exact size of human resources, their qualification, etc, etc) about which we all know close to nothing, as to have this such "convinced" opinions about what Serif should be doing.... (and even more, we have not such right to criticize/accuse to certain levels. )

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 and V2.4 Windows 10 and Windows 11. 
Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

On 7/7/2018 at 11:25 AM, Tourmaline said:

It won't be perfect at all at the first launch because it won't incorporate all the features people want now...

I am more then happy if it does all the basics very well.

Ive just suggested, a few posts earlier: if its money problem, shouldnt we think maybe of some /crowd/funding to support the guys, for our common wealth ?

cheers,

16 minutes ago, Zbigg said:

shouldnt we think maybe of some /crowd/funding ... ?

Already discussed, here for example: Crowdfunding

Alfred spacer.png

14 minutes ago, αℓƒяє∂ said:

Already discussed, here for example: Crowdfunding

Isn't crowd funding the last resort when your products are no longer profitable?. You set a goal and whether or not you reach it, you get to keep the money?

OS build    22621.1928

yoda.png

19 minutes ago, Rick G said:

You set a goal and whether or not you reach it, you get to keep the money?

I don’t think anyone would support a crowdfunding proposal if it worked like that! Any crowdfunding scheme I’ve ever seen gathers pledges, with the money only being collected if the target is reached.

Alfred spacer.png

• Staff
58 minutes ago, Zbigg said:

..if its money problem...

It's not, end of

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

1 hour ago, I'm Ant said:

Looks well thought out I like the GUI.

Was any other example presented except that short footage on Twitter?

cheers,

3 hours ago, Patrick Connor said:

It's not, end of

Once I built a tower up to the sun
Brick and rivet and lime
Once I built a tower, now it's done
Brother, can you spare a dime?

hqdefault.jpg

OS build    22621.1928

yoda.png

• Staff

Today Tony has edited the original post and added this to the statement.

Update: I think we have answered all the questions we can about Publisher before the beta starts. Hopefully the public beta will answer any remaining questions when it starts at the end of August.   

This thread is now locked.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon