TonyB

Affinity Publisher - Sneak Preview

And nothing speaks technically against connecting big screens to Smartphones, Tablets etc.

Procreate: Not as features? It's a painting app and beats Photoshop in this by far. But yes it's not a photo editor. Affinity Photo is a very good competition to Photoshop as a photo editor even on a iPad.

The big advantage of an iPad is the screen - It is much better as everything Wacom has delivered till now (no parallax error etc) and very good color accuracy and depth coupled with very high resolution. All in perfectly fine A4 drawing size that can be moved and scaled if you need more or need to do fine work. Never got why people get Big Wacoms and Cintiq, the A4 one is the maximum size that's comfortable to work with.

I am waiting for two great facts;)

1) the release of the new iPad, because it does not lack much.

2) the output of AD for iPad.

I was able to try AP on large files and I was impressed. I can say that the interface of AP for iPad is fantastic and leaves you all the free monitor ... certainly the 3D and the studio work will continue to do it on a desktop with one or more large monitors and "maybe" a new cintiq.

However, more than once we did sketches or changes during business meetings using a large monitor managed with AirPlay and Apple TV!!!

2 hours ago, Tia Lapis said:

And nothing speaks technically against connecting big screens to Smartphones, Tablets etc.

of course not... this I addressed too in my too long post... But at these times in tech, I get a lot of more capabilities and  raw performance doing just that with a PC, and the big screen is not really portable (by any means...), so, it doesn't hurt to have a pc instead, as anyway I need the space for the fat professional monitor, lol...and as I get a lot more power for the same money (or much less) than the same solution in portable, due to construction costs (of a laptop/phone/tablet compared to a PC purchased per parts...extremely cheaper at same raw capabilities (or better, as the portable do not reach certain key levels)) . Due to being much more expensive to cram all that in such small space, without refrigeration. The best shot a it of portable solutions, and the best shot at it of desktop, will have the latter as more powerful, for physical reasons. May this change in the future ? Maybe, with biological based computers, or light based, or even the current gen but with just 7nm architecture (AMD is preparing that) instead of the current 14nm ones. And that is close, somehow. I don't see it all ending in portable being more powerful with the same money than a PC, in many years. Like with learning new stuff, that I go in a "need to nerd" strategy (instead of learning everything to be the perfect unicorn, I learn as needs and projects arise) what I do is I use a new tech, or new technological approach when it makes sense in my work (my hobbies, normal use, that could be another thing), becomes as the most practical solution for my work. Right now, it is the PC, as it has been my entire (long) working life, and I don't see this changing soon.

Procreate: Not as features? It's a painting app and beats Photoshop in this by far. But yes it's not a photo editor. Affinity Photo is a very good competition to Photoshop as a photo editor even on a iPad.

Doing illustration for clients you need a lot more than just painting features,  besides most freelancers I know do a bit of everything, only a few lucky ones can do their entire income with painting only.. but that would be a wider -even- debate....

The big advantage of an iPad is the screen - It is much better as everything Wacom has delivered till now (no parallax error etc) and very good color accuracy and depth coupled with very high resolution.

It depends how you see it. iOS hasn't got great features for custom color calibration (adjust the screen for a somewhat "usable" CMYK color profile for printing with certain company, even while I know that's only a poor approach, but is something..that have worked always in my case), and as far as I know, we can't calibrate it with a hardware calibrator yet. Yes, it now has a wider RGB color space (P3), not just sRGB like the first iPad Pro generation, but still falls short. I do get more in the color managing department with a professional monitor than with an iPad Pro screen and iOS.

About the tablet sensitivity and actual drawing feel, there's a lot of controversy. A bunch of people that I have contacted which have used both prefers a Wacom intuos or Cintiq. Heck, I have used both (I recon iPad quite little, but the tests were very solid), and I see I get more control in my Wacom Intuos XL and a pro 23 " monitor. Yes it has less parallax than some Cintiq alternatives, but the very latest -to compare apples to apples, no pun intended- Wacom Cintiqs, the parallax is reduced to a level I personally wouldn't notice at all. I am not sure about if you have illustrated/painted like, during a month over a cintiq of a good size -22-24, ideally a 27 QHD-  8 hours a day -my drawing sessions (as a freelancer and before as an employee) are often much longer, sigh- and same time and sessions with a tablet... then you could compare and decide what is more comfortable, accurate,  and less tiring. And/or, if you would start seeing (maybe in a pair of weeks, or maybe not, maybe even not in months, but probably in a pair of years) back pains/issues, or in the neck, carpal tunnel, etc. But this is as for working so long, one is better if having the best position possible, and enough space (to leave arms relaxed, back relaxed, use less wrist movements, and more arm movements, etc, etc. Trust me, am not making up these things....are common ground...). Eyesight suffers much more working so close, too (even with plain paper)., and this is common for both a cintiq and an iPad (indeed,as I have said lately, for very long hours, I prefer working with a pro monitor and an intuos)  I've know a lot of cases, but this in using tablets for day long sessions -I have a friend, she's not even a designer, and she has been told by the doctor not to use so much the tablet- and cintiqs... IMO, the good old drawing tablet + monitor allows the best ergonomics.  Nothing of this applies to 2 hours sessions, of course. But again, I'm always speaking of a professional usage. Not a hobby situation, neither a pro use for a limited concept/sketching period per day. That would be very different. But that wouldn't constitute a replacement, in any way (and how I see it, u can do sketching and concept AND the full heavy work with a PC... the opposite, not at all...be 3 years like that...I hope you are lucky (could happen) and don't develop any problem -for all day long sessions- ) But professionals and intensive professional use are not going to disappear any time soon. That's my point in saying that I don't see ipads replacing PCs, sorry.

Never got why people get Big Wacoms and Cintiq, the A4 one is the maximum size that's comfortable to work with.

Again, the professional usage POV. Even for comics it was typical to work in A3 (Jean Giraud (Moebius/Gir), an absolute genius, a great illustrator and comics artist, would always draw in huge formats. Not sure about how he does it now, but I remember going to an exposition showing his amazing originals, used for later on printing the comic page), back in the day. Still is done that way by many, as, believe it or not, there are many comic artists, even very young ones, still with their Bristol paper and their pencils and inks. 

I have painted 8 meters * 2 meters tall scenarios (for theater and stuff). And in Fine Arts, we got used to paint as a normal daily thing in 2 meters tall canvases, just for charcoals sketching. Or to paint entire walls with a mural technique (ie, like was done by the Romans and in medieval age) And for painting, anything from an A6 to larger than an A0. It makes you quite more skilled in drawing and composition, but that's my opinion, too. This doesn't affect the fact that you can also draw in small if feel in the mood. I've made some of my best concepts in a paper napkin at a coffee place.

Also, from a pure digital drawing perspective, if you prefer not to set (or set them really low...after all is to compensate the magnetic digitizers, always less accurate than our hand) line stabilizers (some call it "line smoothing") for LINE ART (digital painting and illustration is a very different matter, is not necessary. And for photo retouch, even less.) for comics inking, or just line art based illustration, you get a ton more control in an Intuos Pro L or XL than a Wacom Small , or a 12,9" tablet. Even if it's with The Pencil, which I concur is a technological jewel . I know. I've done the tests, and used many sizes of tablets. It simply gives you a lot more control over the lines. Make the test one day drawing in an intuos small, as there is very noticeable, the difference. 

So, unless something changes hugely in the markets, I don't see that replacement happening for the professionals in graphics creation very soon. What would need to happen in the market should be two things: 

- Apple and/or other brand if using Wacom technology internally (Or just doing sth just as good as these two (Pencil and Wacom) are) need to produce tablets focused in professional usage. Like  Microsoft Studio or Dell Canvas, but not so big. Make the miracle of making that very light in weight despite being 21 -22 inches, at the very least.  I don't see this happening any time soon, although they have it already in cintiq and cintiq alternatives (btw, some supporting 94% of Adobe RGB color space!)

- That the entire software ecosystem, including color calibration, but also the actual applications one uses for pro work, were available in the tablet. I don't see another way than using a Mac OSX or a Windows in there. Not an iOS or Android, certainly. Or they would have to evolve a lot. The prob is not capability. Is the market, companies and the people. If people don't want to use tablets for pro usage, companies wont produce tablets bigger than 12,9, neither a full OS for the system. And software companies , despite some great cases like Serif, wont port their applications to iOS or Android. If it'd happen, that would be a huge step to what you say or wish it to be. But is a bit of a catch-22 again, as if the companies don't make tablets of 20 -22 inches, and in full operating systems, allowing full control in color management, all software for 3D, video,  2D, fully available there,  if this does not happen, why would a pro loose a large chunk of her/his clients just because a tablet is cooler... 

- And I'd add a third,...and like the others, yep, it can happen, but the ipad has been among us for long, now, even the iPad pro has been already some time, and I don't see any of the above matters being a royal focus... The third would be that a tablet would be as affordable as a PC (with more flexibility in usage, I get the same or more with even 500 euros than the 1200 that costs me an equivalent iPad solution). Cost in maintenance also is important : If a piece breaks in my 9 years PC, I can replace it with another, even a better, more powerful one. Out of warranty, this is an issue with an iPad(well, it is an issue even just the software/os  update situation, after 2-3 years of purchase...)

Again, being here, in a forum about a very serious graphic creation suite, I'm not talking about normal use of everybody. I'm focusing on pro usage, by professionals, and all day long sessions, or close to that. And all what one ends up needing in pro activity. A very varied jungle where one must have the maximum flexibility in software, capabilities, performance, etc.

For hobby usage, I believe even that the iPad makes quite sense. But there are even quite some people that don't "like" tablets, even for a hobby, will purchase a PC. Count among those, very strongly, on every hardcore gamer. Their usual discussion is about how a Ryzen is crappy because an intel can reach 5.2 GHz with overclocking thanks to special cooling, or how the latest Ryzen 2700x is approaching in benchmarks to the latest 8700k intel. And they are a large bunch, is not some crazy reduced number of geeks like it was in the 90s. Heck, even the much more numerous e-sports people and casual gamers, those will want to play the games that are mostly to be installed in PC/Mac and recently too (in bigger numbers), in Linux machines... Indeed, this has been one of the biggest reasons for the Windows dominance, together with pro applications being there for ever, and the bigger user base since almost always.

I see the iPad Pro approaching, well, being already, a professional tool for showing work to clients, for meetings, for illustration if you are not all the freaking day at it, and don't need to do very large and detailed compositions (comfortably without zooming in constantly..also as  in art, is key to have always a global view as you paint) for concept art previous to starting a larger and complex composition, and absolutely great for sketching. For vector based design (again, IMO of not too huge complexity in detail) This is all pro work, too. For replacing the PC at the other stages... I don't agree, sorry. I speak from experience working a lot with a 12 inches screen cintiq (for 8 months), having tested enough the iPad Pro, and having worked with all the Wacom gamma  (from Intuos 1....and also, Kurta and Summagraphics, previous to Wacom tablets) of sizes, and several monitor sizes, professional and not...

Affinity Designer and Affinity Photo licenses, Windows 7, i7  860 (2009) 2.8 GHz,  8 GB RAM, GTX 1050 2 GB, HD 7200 RPM.  Wacom Intuos 4 XL.

Hello!!!!

I love Affinity Products :D but i have a question.

-Can I Try The Affinity Publisher Beta?

I would like to try this product, to know whether to buy the Designer or wait for me at the Publisgher. Forgive my misspellings, I use a translator xD

Regards!!!! :D

On 6/24/2018 at 11:41 AM, Michail said:

Why do people always want to do everything on the go? Isn't it enough that they already eat and drink on the way?

This is a noteworthy comment on the modern culture. It also inspired a lot of discussion on the forum.

21 hours ago, Tia Lapis said:

My iPad Pro has replaced a old MBP. I consider it my mobile computer, so it would be nice to use it for such work, too.

Tablet usage will become the normal computing experience in the future, with a few professional areas staying on expensive desktop workstations.

So you atleast would use the APub for iPad. Me, myself and I personally like the traditional computer much more. And I also hate touch screens, because they're so difficult for me and hazardously difficult for my sister. So perhaps the old-school computers and tablet computers can coexist without the other one having to die for the other one to live.

I'd love to have a counter somewhere with the amount of issues to solve (or perhaps rather the features to add) before serif can launch the Affinity Publisher beta. Not that they'd have to. It's just such fun to follow a counter going steadily or not-so-steadily towards "zero! Here's your long awaited beta!"

Greetings
Lassi P

5 hours ago, Alkon said:

Hello!!!!

I love Affinity Products :D but i have a question.

-Can I Try The Affinity Publisher Beta?

I would like to try this product, to know whether to buy the Designer or wait for me at the Publisgher. Forgive my misspellings, I use a translator xD

Regards!!!! :D

Hello @Alkon,

wellcome to the forum.

Affinity Publisher Beta is currently not released yet. Noone outside Serif can test it at the moment.

APub is announced for beta testing within the next months so you should not have to wait too long until you can try it :)

d.

Affinity Designer 1.7.3.481 (beta 1.8.0.514)   |   Affinity Photo 1.7.3.481 (beta 1.8.0.514)   |   Affinity Publisher 1.7.3.481 (beta 1.8.0.523)
Affinity Designer for iPad 1.7.0.7   |   Affinity Photo for iPad 1.6.8.77

Windows 10 (1809) 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

4 hours ago, LassiP said:

This is a noteworthy comment on the modern culture. It also inspired a lot of discussion on the forum.

Not nearly as in-depth as it could be, though. But I don’t want to take this thread completely off-topic.

34 minutes ago, VIPStephan said:

Not nearly as in-depth as it could be, though. But I don’t want to take this thread completely off-topic.

Where is your thread where we can read more details, please? ;)

17 minutes ago, denisined said:

:61_sob:month:58_disappointed_relieved:

It’s only plural because it might be two or three months! It shouldn’t be more than that.

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 1.7.3.481 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.7.3.155 • Designer for iPad 1.7.3.1 • iPadOS 13.2.2 (iPad Air 2)

3 minutes ago, αℓƒяє∂ said:

it might be two or three months!

or 11 or 12... its allready summer and i cant wait anymore.... :42_confused:

it will be released just before half life 3

3 minutes ago, denisined said:

or 11 or 12 [months]...

No, we’ve been told to expect it this summer (2018).

i cant wait anymore....

In that case, find something else. The first public beta release may well not be suitable for much serious work.

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 1.7.3.481 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.7.3.155 • Designer for iPad 1.7.3.1 • iPadOS 13.2.2 (iPad Air 2)

33 minutes ago, αℓƒяє∂ said:

It’s only plural because it might be two or three months! It shouldn’t be more than that.

21 minutes ago, αℓƒяє∂ said:

No, we’ve been told to expect it this summer (2018).

The first public beta release may well not be suitable for much serious work.

After waiting (im)patiently for many, many months, saying now't and still putting my trust in Serif, I'm afraid the cynic in me has got the better of me.

"Shouldn't be more than that" (on past broken 'promises') doesn't mean "won't be more than that. How many time already have we been told to expect it because I've lost count?

If it "may not be suitable for much serious work" what have we been kept waiting for for so long? Haven't the (hard working, and I mean that) guys at Serif been spending all this time ensuring that a virtually fully functioning product (even in beta) is released?

3 minutes ago, PeanutsA said:

Haven't the (hard working, and I mean that) guys at Serif been spending all this time ensuring that a virtually fully functioning product (even in beta) is released?

Beta releases are usually ‘feature complete’, or very nearly so, but that doesn’t necessarily mean they are fully functioning!

Alfred online2long.gif

56 minutes ago, αℓƒяє∂ said:

find something else.

This is the only reason why I still use my trusted PagePlus & Drawplus after getting AD & AP. I don't like "When it is ready" term for commercial work.

Monsoon

Serif Software user since 2008 | Not an active forum user since July 4, 2019 after getting a nice response from Developer.

2 minutes ago, αℓƒяє∂ said:

Beta releases are usually ‘feature complete’, or very nearly so, but that doesn’t necessarily mean they are fully functioning!

Good morning alfred (no way am I going to attempt that signature) - that was quick ! Too hot for you, like it is for me, to be doing anything else?

Having for many years had to be careful (usually) with my choice of words I did say "virtually", in its meaning of "almost".

1 hour ago, Arun Sarkar said:

Ouch!

1 hour ago, PeanutsA said:

Good morning alfred (no way am I going to attempt that signature)

LOL.

Alfred online2long.gif

what have we been kept waiting for for so long?

These applications have taken much longer to get the needed maturity for other firms.... Months for even a proof of concept beta is pretty fast, indeed.

IMO, they are building a solid foundation. And surely, it'd be functional for certain basic uses, not an ID killer at release time.

Anyway, this has been warned not now, but I believe since very early (the non full featured aspect of it)

Too hot for you, like it is for me, to be doing anything else?

In Sheffield? is 18º C now there... much more than I'd expect to be a usual British night... 24 here, but this is a very strange summer here, feels like Spring, and some days like late Winter...lol....

I'd expect at 23:00 more typically 30º or 28º at least... and 40º - 42º (107 F ?)  in the afternoon... (yay, Spain)

Affinity Designer and Affinity Photo licenses, Windows 7, i7  860 (2009) 2.8 GHz,  8 GB RAM, GTX 1050 2 GB, HD 7200 RPM.  Wacom Intuos 4 XL.

Just a thought, and forgive me if it's already been mentioned, but with the Beta release of Mac OS Mojave, might that delay the release of Publisher? Maybe towards the end of Summer? It would make sense as Mojave is being released in the Fall and that would be playing a bit of "catch up" if Publisher didn't work on it. My two-cents conjecturing.

4 hours ago, dannyg9 said:

with the Beta release of Mac OS Mojave, might that delay the release of Publisher?

Depends on the temperature in the Mojave Desert. :D

Hello,

Hows the progress with AFP ?

For now it seems rather vanishing point...;-),

Guys-seriously: market can be patient but you may loose the entry impact effect if you plan to issue a perfect product at once,

in some non-specified future ??

cheers,

AF Photo+Designer+Publisher and their betas on Win10 x64+AmdFX+24GB RAM

2 hours ago, Zbigg said:

Hello,

Hows the progress with AFP ?

For now it seems rather vanishing point...;-),

Guys-seriously: market can be patient but you may loose the entry impact effect if you plan to issue a perfect product at once,

in some non-specified future ??

This has been rediscussed ad nauseam. The announced it will be out sometime this summer. That is the summer of 2018 If you read the early announcements you can find it there ... in this thread

And if they feel the need to postpone it until the summer of 2019, we will all suck it up, act like adults and deal with it

Unless someone has another option like marching on Nottingham with tar and feathers ...:D

tar and feather 1.jpg

Affinity Designer 1.7.3 & beta 1.8.0.514   Affinity Photo 1.7.3 beta  1.8.0.514 Affinity Publisher 1.7.3.481 beta  1.8.0.523

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 1709

CPU Intel Core i7 4770 @ 3.40GHz Haswell 22nm Technology

RAM 32.0 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 798 MHz (11-11-11-28)

Motherboard Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. B85M-D3H (SOCKET 0)

Graphics Intel HD Graphics 4600 (Gigabyte)

yoda.png

Well, not having an option is not quite a good option anyway

cheers,

AF Photo+Designer+Publisher and their betas on Win10 x64+AmdFX+24GB RAM

Quark, Scribus, VivaDesigner, even (for low end projects) PagePlus and Xara Page & Layout (or a combination of several). At least there are options, for the meantime, I believe.