You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Publisher - Sneak Preview

TonyB

17 minutes ago, Pebowski said:

I don't think that there are plans in this direction in the near future, because on the Mac there are FCP X and Motion - so this would mainly be for Windows. I think a DAM (as a replacement for Lightroom) has higher priority.

I hope when they do the DAM they take a hard look at what ACDSEE does with things like a shortcut menu where I can organize quick access to my graphics folders There are some other things in there that others don't have and would be well worth including

Affinity Designer 2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212 Affinity Photo 2.2.2075  beta 2.3.1.2212Affinity Publisher  2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212

Windows 11 Pro Version    22H2
OS build    22621.1928
Processor    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700 CPU @ 2.90GHz   2.90 GHz
Installed RAM    16.0 GB (15.7 GB usable)
System type    64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

yoda.png

Was it just me or at the beginning of the video, didn't it look like there were three personas? But the two Personas to the right of Publisher, those look like the icons for Designer and Photo, no?

5a346d7f7a5b5_ScreenShot2017-12-15at7_46_48PM.png.a0730736dcfddf56818a15139551ed57.png

So, are we literally going to have access to ALL of the features and functions of both Designer and Photo within Publisher?

26 minutes ago, Scungio said:

Was it just me or at the beginning of the video, didn't it look like there were three personas? But the two Personas to the right of Publisher, those look like the icons for Designer and Photo, no?

5a346d7f7a5b5_ScreenShot2017-12-15at7_46_48PM.png.a0730736dcfddf56818a15139551ed57.png

So, are we literally going to have access to ALL of the features and functions of both Designer and Photo within Publisher?

OR ...

They are placeholders while those ??? are being finished and intergrated

Affinity Designer 2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212 Affinity Photo 2.2.2075  beta 2.3.1.2212Affinity Publisher  2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212

OS build    22621.1928

yoda.png

LOOKING GOOD! The page arrangement from what I could see looks reminiscent of InDesign. Which is not necessarily a bad thing. seems a very much drag and drop application. I do hope the graphics capabilities such as vector drawing are there also.The text wrap looks very slick as does the drop cap tool.

So another half year longer wait? This is far beyond ridiculous now... We were promised the beta 3 years ago so this is a whopping 3,5 years late - IF it comes in summer.

Mac mini M1 / Ryzen 5600H & RTX3050 mobile / iPad Pro 1st - all with latest non beta release of Affinity

On 14-12-2017 at 5:55 PM, Filo63 said:

all this is very exciting !!!

The only real concern is "compatibiliteit" with InDesign files ... having a historical archive and having to rebuild it all is frustrating

That's  really a fact to know. The compatibility with all the adobe-files. Not only indesign but also illustrator / photoshop files. I'm looking forward for the beta version.

So... gather the funds to contract 20 extra ninjas, graphic programmers to code 14 hours a day, they'd love some help, surely  :D 

Geez.... just be happy they are indeed working at it, plus a ton in Designer and Photo, that the suite will be complete, and meanwhile, just use Quark, InDesign, or if the project's complexity allows it, their PagePlus X9. (not gonna mention Scribus, as while I finally kind of like it, as it has quite more depth than I thought, but a lot of ppl around here (not so in many other places) dislike the UI and stuff.). The ideal situation (even while a lot of us are used to use a very heterogeneous mix of tools and brands) is a suite from the same company (great advantage on working with same UI AND (biggest advantage) files full compatibility ), and that's where it is heading with the pace they CAN given the human and money resources they have. Their only sin is to be very enthusiastic (so evil ! ;p ) at times, making a bit too optimistic plans, but in my ten companies experience I yet to find ONE where plans go EXACTLY as expected... And to be brutally honest, now that I am a full time freelancer, really, sh1t happens, in every color and flavor possible, all sort of stuff. And projects expected to be two months extend to years (and not my fault, just customers add stuff, increase complexity, or simply, needs vary, and so projects size increase. )

Heck, they are not coding a notepad alternative, Adobe took eons (I mean, decades) to reach their today's brilliant status, these are really complex applications, of increasing complexity and market/user demands. The "give it to us now" (dunno why it reminds me to the "all your base are belong to us" from that Japanese company's game) is so funny for that, and as reminds me of kids when making the Santa's letter. Dear Santa, I've been a good kid, so...I want... EVERYTHING, NOW. :D

IMO, the correct, practical, sensible, positive, constructive reaction here is to be excited with the new developments... And use whatever you need meanwhile... Well, what I've done all my life since stopped using traditional paper and cardboard for illustration and design and started with computers, in '91. (or could count from '85...) Back then you wouldn't think to blame Staedtler for not releasing their 1.6.3.78 beta 6B pencil... 

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 and V2.4 Windows 10 and Windows 11. 
Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

There is nothing else fitting my need. Happy fun world to the Windows users here that have a lot less pressure for Publisher then us Apple users 8(

Mac mini M1 / Ryzen 5600H & RTX3050 mobile / iPad Pro 1st - all with latest non beta release of Affinity

Oh... I see. I don't know why I thought you were on Windows....

Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

Scribus has a stable version for Mac OS X Lion (always has for a bunch of platforms). Free, obviously. I know what you are going to answer, but , hey, for using it in the meantime...

4 minutes ago, Tia Lapis said:

There is nothing else fitting my need. Happy fun world to the Windows users here that have a lot less pressure for Publisher then us Apple users 8(

A partial quote from another post somewhere...

Of course there is QuarkXpress. Currently one can get a version that is two versions back (i.e., version 2015) from a computer magazine in Germany at about a $10 cost. The electronic versions (PDF I believe) carries the redemption code in it. That too is a bargain. And there is an upgrade path from it that is sub-$200.  

Viva Designer is an option. There is a free for personal use version that is a bit stripped down. If you need greater functionality than the free version, the Pro paid-for version would be it. I use the Pro version for a couple German clients. It is an odd duck in how it works compared to ID, QXP or PP. But it does work and imports IDML if that is important (and it works reasonably good).  

And there is Scribus. But I wouldn't wish it on an enemy. But there are adherents that swear by it (as opposed to swearing at it).

Mike

Yeah checked out the Heise-Xpress, sadly it doesn't work on HighSierra and 200$ is way to much for public domain work, will have to survive longer with the shitty iStudio Publisher 8(

The free Viva doesn't even have spell checking...

Edited by Tia Lapis
added Viva

Are in your current projects things you can't do, or even entire projects that you can't accept due to having anything more advanced than iStudio Publisher 8 ?  Clients can ask very varied type of things, but sometimes they are very basic matters, it depends, and varies a lot. Is it that ? Or... the desire of have something more modern?... Is just curiosity

24 minutes ago, Tia Lapis said:

Yeah checked out the Heise-Xpress, sadly it doesn't work on HighSierra and 200$ is way to much for public domain work, will have to survive longer with the shitty iStudio Publisher 8(

The free Viva doesn't even have spell checking...

Did you update Q2015 to the last update after installation? The closed FB QXP group has several people running it on HS with the last update. There are some cosmetic issues, mainly the PDF export dialog (and I think the Save dialog iirc) that can be rectified by clicking somewhere else on the dialog or something to that effect. I use Windows, so it's not an issue.

One can always use an external application to spell check re Viva Designer. Yep, a lot of work for a book, not so much on a brochure.

I have no experience with Mac layout applications or what's even available and so don't know their limitations. But don't we all have to work around any application's limitations? And then there is always the rollback of HS to Sierra until such time as APub is available...

Mike

I would love to hear from management or the developers on this

Will Affinity Publisher be able to publish web sites? I was told "no" on your Facebook channel but there seems to be confliction information posted on this thread

I am not looking for details and will probably hold all questions, but will Publisher replace  or supercede WebPlus?  Or will I need to start looking for another web publishing program?

Thanks in advance

OS build    22621.1928

yoda.png

Digital publishing, which is what you are referring to from this thread, is not a web site. Specifically, Tony seemed to indicate the possibility of an eBook format (and hopefully they would be flow or fixed layout eBooks). Neither are HTML5 publications a web site, though who knows what the future would bring. QXP's HTML5 publications can be quite nice.

Think of HTML5 publications as a responsive (or not) web publication that can be (or not) derived from the print version of a QXP file. You know those Flash-based flipbooks? Those are also not a web site, but live on the web.

I really don't see where the confusion lies.

Mike

1 hour ago, Rick G said:

Will Affinity Publisher be able to publish web sites? I was told "no" on your Facebook channel but there seems to be confliction information posted on this thread

I am not looking for details and will probably hold all questions, but will Publisher replace  or supercede WebPlus?  Or will I need to start looking for another web publishing program?

Thanks in advance

1 hour ago, MikeW said:

I really don't see where the confusion lies.

Understood. There have been other mentions that seem to disagree with this hence my confusion.Also it is not the first time I have received a support answer that turned out to be incorrect so my question still stands

THis is not a slam on the support people at all. They have done a great job over the years. SOmetimes information gets scrambled

Thanks

OS build    22621.1928

yoda.png

On 14/12/2017 at 4:26 PM, TonyB said:

The main difference is development are saying it now :)

Is it the developer in me that makes this so much more believable :) .. just saying ..

Please don't mistake my opinion for expert comment :) for no way no how am I an expert on anything. However I am curious and willing to learn. 

Affinity Photo (latest I promise)

Affinity Photo Beta (I have a lot of time on my hands)

Affinity Designer (Also the latest; promise)

Affinity Designer Beta (Because I like new things)

I need to get out more - Yes :)

18 hours ago, Rick G said:

Thanks in advance

Adobe has another tool for that called Dreamweaver or if you wish flash pro. But flash is being substituted with fully html 5 applications.