Jump to content
TonyB

Affinity Publisher - Sneak Preview

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, Alfred said:

 

Serif haven’t shown the slightest inclination to add animation features to any of the Affinity apps. If they have a change of heart, I think a DTP app would be the least likely target for the addition of such capabilities.

Is not animation an entirely different ballgame? You really need a specialized tool for that. The only one that had that put together was JASC the original developer of Paintshoip and the companion Animation shop. At that it was a separate program although it integrated with PSP nicely


Affinity Designer 1.6.5 & beta 1.7.0.209 Affinity Photo 1.6.5, beta  1.7.0.209 Affinity Publisher 1.7.0.206

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 1709

CPU Intel Core i7 4770 @ 3.40GHz Haswell 22nm Technology

RAM 32.0 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 798 MHz (11-11-11-28)

Motherboard Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. B85M-D3H (SOCKET 0)

Graphics Intel HD Graphics 4600 (Gigabyte)

 

 

Yoda.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Rick G said:

Is not animation an entirely different ballgame? You really need a specialized tool for that.

 

Adobe Photoshop can be used for simple animations. Serif’s own PhotoPlus and DrawPlus also offer animation features, and the latter even includes keyframe animation. I agree that you need a specialized tool for anything remotely sophisticated, but I don’t think that’s what other contributors to this thread are suggesting.


Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer 1.6.5.123 • Affinity Photo 1.6.5.123 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.6.11.85 • Affinity Designer for iPad 1.6.4.45 • iOS 12.1.1 (iPad Air 2)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not to mention, the animation tools in Photoshop are awful. At least PhotoPlus and DrawPlus had a more familiar method.

And yes, there would be no need to add animation in Publisher. Keynote is for slideshow presentations. Publisher is for printout publications.


The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Animations are totally different area and if I can choose, better will be solo software like aftereffects compatible with aphoto or adesign file format. But... Publisher release time was pushed for years, and Photo with Designer is missing so much important features (selection depend on parameters etc.) It will be nice, if Serif will develope animation and filmic software, but I don't know, if it is actual topic..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

It's too huge of an app, any 2D anim or video editing tool...not as ever changing context as the extensively debated web design wysiwyg tool, but the market status in those worlds is super demanding, of very high level, super complex, takes a lifetime to develop a really solid animation tool that could at least try to survive among so much fierce and specialized (for decades) competition. Some have said, addition as a light feature, so, not a pro thing...IMO, that's a dangerous road, a mix of "styles" of doing things. Affinity seems to be heading to the serious, advanced hobbyist, the freelance professional, and companies of any type, without leaving out, in any sense, home or basic users (but they are not just basic tools for basic users, by any stretch). 

Going back to products niches/target users (basic users only) with a scope like the legacy products had (still has ! These products are still on sale, just there seems not to be enough super high level staff to produce 20 products at a time), IMO could be a wrong decision now, business-wise. Most of all because also, these UIs are SUPER intuitive, so the basic user is covered, just like before (it was not harder to learn, those UIs than these. If anything, I like these much better ,they have a pretty easy learning curve) . So, adding a half baked feature, wouldn't feel professional at all, and reviewers could have there a weak spot to attack (and competition often pays some to do exactly that.. ) You can't fit a really good animation UI into an already full UI made for other purposes. If anything, most graphic apps, specially animation, at times do benefit in working with two desktop screens, as you need a complex UI setup. Again, no way; at least if you are trying to do things right. But that is definitely not my main point. Main is that they have already too much in their plate, with AD, AP, the tools for tablets, APub beta, and some other stuff they have some how ventured that could be done. Producing extra software, even if we read 'there is no plans for that', I wouldn't understand from it that will be impossible for ever. Only that unless some magic huge funding arrives out of nowhere, enabling to pay a couple of armies of seasoned ninja coders, chances of seeing the next Affinity Premiere or Affinity Effects (J/K, who knows if that might have already probs with trademarks stuff)) are not too likely, any time soon. But even when saying that "we don't have plans for that", some people understand that there could be a close future possibility of it, if giving pressure in the forums (?) (in stats, is close to nothing, I mean, in numbers). Different case is when someone spots a bug, or gives any sort of feedback, that is extra useful, as far as I've seen working inside some software development companies.

 

And I don't think is a bad thing to ask for new apps... It shows that you like the way of doing of the company, and/or its UIs, and/or the usage philosophy and workflows it provides you. I just mean that given the certain size of a company, one needs to have realistic expectations (not a prob if not, but is a bit of a waste of own's energy, too...) in terms of number of the top, pro market level, applications that it can create, produce, give support and maintain at a time...I have been working somehow doing 2D animation, 3D animation and video editing. And we are speaking about tools that provide very complex workflows, with demands of extremely complex functionality here. And super duper high levels of quality, accuracy, complexity expected, etc, etc.

 

Also, as a freelance and employee (as one switches the situation often), I don't see the point in waiting for....everything, even some days of delay can destroy any project or client connection. I'd just grab ANY of the so many free or mid cost apps already available, (or high end if one is fine with that way of doing, and finances allow) and many are wonderfully evolved and mature, solve my problem for whatever the gig or work at a company, and to the next project .I recon I do learn stuff as I get certain request. IE, I learnt to configure deeply certain e-commerce solution -bit too far from the profile of someone that pushes pixels and polygons-  just because a gig like that arrived... With software tools, the same. I tend to purchase, of spent the needed time with a free tool whenever my work needs it, rarely before. (years ago I was A LOT more geek about these things. )

 


Affinity Designer and Affinity Photo licenses, Windows 7, i7  860 (2009) 2.8 GHz. 4c/8t, 8 GB RAM, GTX 1050 2 GB, HD 7200 RPM Seagate Barracuda.
Affinity PHOTO 1.7.x ....AMAZING. Getting there for painting. But "ALT" color picking needs LOVE. It's now the only show-stopper for painting. PLEASE give it LOVE ;) .
Or your coding magic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 15-4-2018 at 2:53 PM, Bri-Toon said:

Not to mention, the animation tools in Photoshop are awful. At least PhotoPlus and DrawPlus had a more familiar method.

And yes, there would be no need to add animation in Publisher. Keynote is for slideshow presentations. Publisher is for printout publications.

If you really had to add it, then Designer or Photo would be a better choice, certainly NOT Publisher.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, SrPx said:

 

It's too huge of an app, any 2D anim or video editing tool...not as ever changing context as the extensively debated web design wysiwyg tool, but the market status in those worlds is super demanding, of very high level, super complex, takes a lifetime to develop a really solid animation tool that could at least try to survive among so much fierce and specialized (for decades) competition. Some have said, addition as a light feature, so, not a pro thing...IMO, that's a dangerous road, a mix of "styles" of doing things. Affinity seems to be heading to the serious, advanced hobbyist, the freelance professional, and companies of any type, without leaving out, in any sense, home or basic users (but they are not just basic tools for basic users, by any stretch). 

Going back to products niches/target users (basic users only) with a scope like the legacy products had (still has ! These products are still on sale, just there seems not to be enough super high level staff to produce 20 products at a time), IMO could be a wrong decision now, business-wise. Most of all because also, these UIs are SUPER intuitive, so the basic user is covered, just like before (it was not harder to learn, those UIs than these. If anything, I like these much better ,they have a pretty easy learning curve) . So, adding a half baked feature, wouldn't feel professional at all, and reviewers could have there a weak spot to attack (and competition often pays some to do exactly that.. ) You can't fit a really good animation UI into an already full UI made for other purposes. If anything, most graphic apps, specially animation, at times do benefit in working with two desktop screens, as you need a complex UI setup. Again, no way; at least if you are trying to do things right. But that is definitely not my main point. Main is that they have already too much in their plate, with AD, AP, the tools for tablets, APub beta, and some other stuff they have some how ventured that could be done. Producing extra software, even if we read 'there is no plans for that', I wouldn't understand from it that will be impossible for ever. Only that unless some magic huge funding arrives out of nowhere, enabling to pay a couple of armies of seasoned ninja coders, chances of seeing the next Affinity Premiere or Affinity Effects (J/K, who knows if that might have already probs with trademarks stuff)) are not too likely, any time soon. But even when saying that "we don't have plans for that", some people understand that there could be a close future possibility of it, if giving pressure in the forums (?) (in stats, is close to nothing, I mean, in numbers). Different case is when someone spots a bug, or gives any sort of feedback, that is extra useful, as far as I've seen working inside some software development companies.

 

And I don't think is a bad thing to ask for new apps... It shows that you like the way of doing of the company, and/or its UIs, and/or the usage philosophy and workflows it provides you. I just mean that given the certain size of a company, one needs to have realistic expectations (not a prob if not, but is a bit of a waste of own's energy, too...) in terms of number of the top, pro market level, applications that it can create, produce, give support and maintain at a time...I have been working somehow doing 2D animation, 3D animation and video editing. And we are speaking about tools that provide very complex workflows, with demands of extremely complex functionality here. And super duper high levels of quality, accuracy, complexity expected, etc, etc.

 

Also, as a freelance and employee (as one switches the situation often), I don't see the point in waiting for....everything, even some days of delay can destroy any project or client connection. I'd just grab ANY of the so many free or mid cost apps already available, (or high end if one is fine with that way of doing, and finances allow) and many are wonderfully evolved and mature, solve my problem for whatever the gig or work at a company, and to the next project .I recon I do learn stuff as I get certain request. IE, I learnt to configure deeply certain e-commerce solution -bit too far from the profile of someone that pushes pixels and polygons-  just because a gig like that arrived... With software tools, the same. I tend to purchase, of spent the needed time with a free tool whenever my work needs it, rarely before. (years ago I was A LOT more geek about these things. )

 

If you want a really good video editor, grab this one:

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/nl/products/davinciresolve/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In the decades of activity I have seen too many software aspire to do everything.

 

Many 3d modeling software has become gigantic and confusing because over time they have attacked too many things.

 

See also Photoshop ... for graphics, for photographers, for illustrators, for 3d. in the end they become complex, confused with interfaces for some modern things and for other archaic ones.

 

Perhaps it is better to satisfy a certain sector of the creative world, to do it well and to update it with criteria and without overdoing it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Filo63 said:

In the decades of activity I have seen too many software aspire to do everything.

 

Many 3d modeling software has become gigantic and confusing because over time they have attacked too many things.

 

See also Photoshop ... for graphics, for photographers, for illustrators, for 3d. in the end they become complex, confused with interfaces for some modern things and for other archaic ones.

 

Perhaps it is better to satisfy a certain sector of the creative world, to do it well and to update it with criteria and without overdoing it.

 

Amen 5.jpg


Affinity Designer 1.6.5 & beta 1.7.0.209 Affinity Photo 1.6.5, beta  1.7.0.209 Affinity Publisher 1.7.0.206

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 1709

CPU Intel Core i7 4770 @ 3.40GHz Haswell 22nm Technology

RAM 32.0 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 798 MHz (11-11-11-28)

Motherboard Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. B85M-D3H (SOCKET 0)

Graphics Intel HD Graphics 4600 (Gigabyte)

 

 

Yoda.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, AT.HA said:

4 months since the preview ,-)

Any news about the beta?

Thanks a lot.

Summer was the announcement. That can be until September 21st

I have friends that don't believe SPRING has arrived as they are still shoveling snow

cat-cheerful-face-smiley-emoticon.gif


Affinity Designer 1.6.5 & beta 1.7.0.209 Affinity Photo 1.6.5, beta  1.7.0.209 Affinity Publisher 1.7.0.206

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 1709

CPU Intel Core i7 4770 @ 3.40GHz Haswell 22nm Technology

RAM 32.0 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 798 MHz (11-11-11-28)

Motherboard Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. B85M-D3H (SOCKET 0)

Graphics Intel HD Graphics 4600 (Gigabyte)

 

 

Yoda.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Tourmaline said:

If you really had to add it, then Designer or Photo would be a better choice, certainly NOT Publisher.

My response to this is the same as Rick G's response to Filo63.

Don't get me wrong, people. I love having animation tools, but each tool belongs in certain group. It's actually really good that Serif is working on keeping everything under certain limitations. When industries don't, it overwhelms those who are just starting out. Maintaining a balance is actually a very wise approach, not in just software but marketing in general. You know what they say, less is more.


The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Rick G said:

I have friends that don't believe SPRING has arrived as they are still shoveling snow

cat-cheerful-face-smiley-emoticon.gif

Oh I know, and it's awful.


The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Rick G said:

Summer was the announcement. That can be until September 21st

I have friends that don't believe SPRING has arrived as they are still shoveling snow

cat-cheerful-face-smiley-emoticon.gif

 

14 minutes ago, Bri-Toon said:

Oh I know, and it's awful.

 

I was reading about winter storm Xanto at the weekend. It seems that huge swathes of northeastern US (Upper Midwest and Great Lakes) have been hit by heavy snow. Minneapolis/St Paul has had about 15 inches, and Green Bay in Wisconsin has had 2 feet.


Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer 1.6.5.123 • Affinity Photo 1.6.5.123 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.6.11.85 • Affinity Designer for iPad 1.6.4.45 • iOS 12.1.1 (iPad Air 2)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Alfred said:

I was reading about winter storm Xanto at the weekend. It seems that huge swathes of northeastern US (Upper Midwest and Great Lakes) have been hit by heavy snow. Minneapolis/St Paul has had about 15 inches, and Green Bay in Wisconsin has had 2 feet.

Yeah and it's no good. It is mid April, and yesterday, I was actually freezing cold wearing a fleece. I actually needed a winter jacket, and the day before was so nice. Crazy weather.

Anyway...


The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Alfred said:

I was reading about winter storm Xanto at the weekend. It seems that huge swathes of northeastern US (Upper Midwest and Great Lakes) have been hit by heavy snow. Minneapolis/St Paul has had about 15 inches, and Green Bay in Wisconsin has had 2 feet.

We've had 10-13 inches where we live in Northwestern Michigan (lower peninsula), and it's heavy, dense stuff. Also significant amounts of ice (frozen rain, ice pellets, sleet). For us it started last Wednesday, then took a break until Friday, and hasn't stopped since then. (It has been downgraded, for us, to a Winter Weather Advisory (compared to the earlier Watches, Alerts and Warnings) and may be over by 5am EDT tomorrow. Of course, it was originally supposed to end by 8pm Saturday, then 8pm Sunday, then sometime this morning, and now it's tomorrow morning. So who knows when it will really be done :) )


-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, April 2018 Update (1803), 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz
Affinity Photo 1.6.5.123 and 1.7.0.209 Beta
Affinity Designer 1.6..5.123 and 1.7.0.209 Beta
Affinity Publisher 1.7.0.206 Beta

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Alfred said:

Green Bay in Wisconsin has had 2 feet

 

That reminded me of this, reported somewhere in the UK four months ago:

 

Two-feet-of-snow.jpg.3c451fd68eba04c06259b133055cfe53.jpg


Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer 1.6.5.123 • Affinity Photo 1.6.5.123 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.6.11.85 • Affinity Designer for iPad 1.6.4.45 • iOS 12.1.1 (iPad Air 2)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bri-Toon said:

Crazy weather

 

Of course, the weather is not crazy, but it naturally reacts to crazy humanity. Lord, let brain rain!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Oval said:

Of course, the weather is not crazy, but it naturally reacts to crazy humanity. Lord, let brain rain!

True on that.


The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Quick question, will there be option in Affinity Publisher to use data merge like in InDesign?

And second part of that question: if so, will there be option to export each page individually to pdf/image with filename from one of column in provided data source (csv/xls)?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Czokalapik said:

Quick question, will there be option in Affinity Publisher to use data merge like in InDesign?

And second part of that question: if so, will there be option to export each page individually to pdf/image with filename from one of column in provided data source (csv/xls)?

I assume you will need to wait for the beta to know that.;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Czokalapik said:

Quick question, will there be option in Affinity Publisher to use data merge like in InDesign?

And second part of that question: if so, will there be option to export each page individually to pdf/image with filename from one of column in provided data source (csv/xls)?

 

No. Data merging will be ways off. What will be possible as regards pdfs in connection with data merge is unknown.


My computer is a nothing-special Toshiba laptop with unremarkable specs running Windows 10 64-bit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×