TonyB

Affinity Publisher - Sneak Preview

2 hours ago, Mithferion said:

They confirmed that they will include Spcripting, and that same language.

Best regards!

No no no, it must be OSA (Open Scripting Arcitecture) I don't think there is a Javascript OSA language plug-in any more although it remains possible, currently the only supported language is AppleScript. But any Affinity Publisher scripting absolutely needs to hook into the Apple Event system and hence OSA. This is the only way you can have cross application scripting which is paramount. While I have no love for the AppleScript syntax the workflows it enables save hundreds if not thousands of hours of effort. If Affinity's idea of scripting support is something that only works in their curated garden like VBA in Windows then it will never replace existing tools for mac based publisher workflows.

If you want Javascript then resurrect the work done by Late Night Software (https://latenightsw.com) in producing an OSA plug-in for the language.

Honestly they won't care what few individuals want here, just because these might have an individual need for this or that. All in all it won't be a single platform specific wish concert, so for scripting they have to take something platform portable and interoperational here. Meaning how should Windows users deal and benefit from AppleScript at all here? - So their best choices are probably to use JavaScript (which BTW is also supported by Apple) or Python here.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.7.3 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.7.3 ◆ OSX El Capitan

14 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

Honestly they won't care what few individuals want here, just because these might have an individual need for this or that. All in all it won't be a single platform specific wish concert, so for scripting they have to take something platform portable and interoperational here. Meaning how should Windows users deal and benefit from AppleScript at all here? - So their best choices are probably to use JavaScript (which BTW is also supported by Apple) or Pyhton here.

So Apple added Javascript OSA support without me even noticing. Guess I've been using the same scripts that just work for a very long time.

One thing I like about Affinity is that they don't just go for the lowest common denominator for the platforms they support. They produce first class mac applications that use the appropriate technology on the platform – look at their home page which show cases all the Apple technologies they use: Grand Central Dispatch, Core Graphics, Force Touch, Retina UI, iCloud Drive, Metal 2, DCI-P3 panel support.

When they ported Designer to Windows, it wasn't just a normal port, they made sure it used current Windows development best practice too. This gives me hope that they will indeed support OSA on macOS.

18 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

So their best choices are probably to use JavaScript

I agree.

I never learned appleScript since it was OS specific and it wasn't as interesting as scripting is in Javascript with ID. (and since Javascript is easy to use, and learn, that's a good point).

The important parts I was missing with QXP was reason to use scripts, and regular expressions. Since I switched to ID, I can use both, and it's really important to improve worflow, when working on monthly magazines or bigger catalogues.

QXP was better for some parts, but it would be difficult now to work without scripts and find/replace with regular expressions. The way ID use them to apply character styles is really important too.

Those are time savers.

Well every software has it's own fitting implementations here, Adobe products like PS use mostly Javascript and some JS derivates, though LR uses LUA instead. GIMP uses Skript-Fu (a Scheme dialect) and a lot of Python, Inkscape makes mostly use of Python though it's API also allows to make use of other things here. Scribus uses through it's Scripter API mostly Python. - And so on ...

So it always also depends on the general flexibility of a softwares scripting API implementation (the bridging part)  and then what fit's good here as an adapted scripting language per se. - As said before, good candidates are nowadays JS/TypeScript or Python here, since those offer some degree of flexibility, are highly portable, commonly used and thus quite well known by a wider audience.

Really looking forward to Affinity Publisher when it is released!

New user here; have used Affinity Photo and Design for in my profession (printed and digital designer) and am well pleased with both programs.

Good luck guys and simply cannot wait to try the Beta.

On 16/03/2018 at 5:53 PM, cyberhusky said:

Hi

will there be another preview (longer or more features shown) before beta release of AP?

Thx.

We have no plans on further previews before the beta. You can always ask questions here and we will try and answer them.

On 14-3-2018 at 4:39 PM, Michail said:

You can see which standards Adobe has set in terms of price. Everyone thinks that a good program must cost 1000 euros. However, Adobe's prices do not arise from the utility value, but from the maximum possible exchange value. In other words, Adobe takes what they can get and not what the software is really worth.
Just a small example: When Photoshop was still sold, the price in Germany was always twice as high as in North America. No one here understood that. The anger about Adobe was already there before the subscription model.

Not only in Germany. The whole of Europe was more expensive then North America.

On 14-3-2018 at 6:51 PM, SrPx said:

They actually make *very* good software. And for a ton of years. They indeed have demonstrated their new focus (Affinity) to less amateur users, being now the target both amateur users and professionals.

Then think twice....I've seen that happening (as a completely professional user in several areas, having been both a freelancer and a professional with quite some high responsibilities as an employee) with free software even! And a bunch at quite a lower price than 50 bucks ! (wont mention a list of them to not do even more (than I often do) publicity of other brands..). Price is ONLY one part of the equation. Same way, I've seen total sinking boats being bloated apps with crazy UIs, and yet outrageously expensive.  I mean, through decades of software's history.

In my view, the focus is fully professional and the apps already are indeed , in many ways. Is very different to compare a young app and a very old, fixed and patched through decades suite, than considering it is a case of an amateurish group of apps, which, knowing A BUNCH of apps from other brands which indeed are that amateurish... I can tell you, is far from the case of Affinity. Is just a WIP, a work in progress at a younger stage than the arcane Adobe or Corel are, but imo, advancing way faster in strict comparison.

Price is mostly what they can get away with. It's not just the development of the program but the whole package, like advertising, and all the other mouths to be fed working in that company.

I always thought Adobe products were a bit overpriced, especially the last couple of years. People still think that  a high price equals professional software. This is not the case.

You can get professional looking results with free software(inkcscape, Krita), although I like Designer way better then Inkscape, if you know what you're doing.

Photoshop has become the standard, they even invented a word for it(photoshopped) but that doesn't mean it's the only capable editor.

I for one am very pleased that Serif is giving us a chance to switch to other software just as capable and a more responsive development team.

Serif is doing a wonderful job for a modest price. I don't think you can ask/wish for more. (Although there always something to be desired).

On 7-3-2018 at 10:36 AM, nitro912gr said:

what do you mean? AD is getting updates and improvements, what is that you are still consider necessary and is not available? Personally I feel complete with the add of searchable font menu.

Sure I still want a couple of things added but with the current state of AD anything more will be a matter of polishing not necessity.

Also as mentioned above is about the holy trinity now, better to have APub out first and then refocus on improving everything, I was still able to use AD even without every tool I wanted till they add them, but I'm not able to use APub even in a premature form if they don't release it first.

It is the same everywhere I guess, if I have to make a list I could say 8 out of 10 colleges or universities that say they are teaching graphic design, they actually just teach specific programs. It used to be worst, at least now they have added some classes for art history, free hand drawing, color theory etc, but they are still mostly machines for mass production of people who know the programs.

Designer is still missing a tracing tool, for instance. But most can get by with other tools.

On 6-3-2018 at 10:38 PM, Bri-Toon said:

The compatibility won't be 100% of course because of features that will not yet be available to support the properties. Exporting works differently for each program too. I have files I made in both Illustrator and Microsoft Word that support pages and then saved as PDF. When bringing them into Designer, I get the pages as artboards and the text is still editable. However, the ones which were originally Illustrator files have lines of text in a paragraph as individual text layers, but the ones that were originally Word files have each paragraph as a single text layer (as I want it to be). So it's difficult to answer. It depends on how the program exports the properties. One similar problem I did catch with both, however, is difference of kerning (character spacing).

Can you test your exported PDF in Designer and see how that works?

I have used AD's pdf import function for a while now and can say that it is superb. Everything is editable. I however don't know about enclosed fonts. 

Yes, notced the same thing concerning kerning. But doesn't that happen when AD has to replace the font, if it can't find the right one?

On 6-3-2018 at 7:59 AM, Alfred said:

Serif has a dozen developers; Adobe has hundreds.

And they are still using old code and is still sluggish.

In the good old days you'd be needing a new pc every time you upgraded your Creative suite.

Haven't read the complaints about sluggishness of LR lately.

Not so with the Affinity line of products. Fast and responsive.

On 5-3-2018 at 10:41 AM, nitro912gr said:

If 99% of the listed jobs ask you to know indesign to work there then yes, it is industry standard. Adobe suite is industry standard at the moment and this is disastrous in so many levels.

PDF is a file standard.

Unfortunately owned by Adobe.

Not a lot of people know that the psd file format is basically an enhanced form of TIFF

On 5-3-2018 at 2:27 PM, Mithferion said:

It means something that has a ISO Standar, for example, PDF is ISO 32000-2. One of the benefits of this kind of standards is that you don't pay royalties in order to support such format and you can see it's specification. In the case of INDD files, I guess the main obstacle is that it's a propietary format and its specification is not being publicly available. By the way, some folks have talked about supporting the IDML format instead.

My opinion is that the technological barriers are preventing Serif from supporting such format. They've made a good work with PSD, but now trying to do the same with AI (without the PDF stream) and INDD would be titanic for them. (I'm sure they are the first ones interested in supporting such cases, and we can include: CDR, "layered" PNG, and many more).

Now, de facto Standard is what INDD is. And that's because a lot of folks use it. Same case with PSD, but even the support we have today is somewhat limited.

So, I get how you feel about it and how this is developing, but one could say that for the time beign it's as far as they can go.

Best regards!

I don't know about that. I know of some preview plug-ins for Microsoft explorer and they have indd and Ai previews available. However, importing them correctly would be of another mangitude.

On 5-3-2018 at 4:49 PM, Rick G said:

What does pirated software have to do with the subject? I am not being a jerk, I just don't get the point in the context of importing or reading file formats. How does that affect you or your business if I am running pirated Adobe software vs paid for subscriptions? I am missing something

It has so much to do with it that most people, who don't know how to use it, or can't pay for it, still want to own it because it is "the defacto standard".

Instead of looking any further for software that might suite them better they just want "the standard" no matter what because all the "professionals" are using it. That's how psychology works.

They are today as they are because they were pirated, just like Microsoft Windows. I purchase all my software but that's how it works.

On 3-3-2018 at 0:21 PM, Arun Sarkar said:

Designer's tabs does not work for me at all. It behave strangely with me.

Nowadays most people use tables for this. Probably faster and more versatile then using tabs. Just remove the lines between the tables and you have perfectly aligned text.

I think Adobe and Indesign see tables as advanced tabs as they improved the versatility of tables considerably. You can now move rows and columns of cells around horizontally and vertically as well.

Nice hint to Serif...wink.

On 27-2-2018 at 9:25 AM, VIPStephan said:

I suppose since current Affinity programs support the import of Photoshop and Illustrator files (and since Serif wants people to switch), it would be stupid if APub wouldn’t also support InDesign files, so the question is kind of moot. :)

If you want to draw people away from Adobe software, then yes, this would be vital. people would need good import from their old files.

3 hours ago, Tourmaline said:

I don't know about that. I know of some preview plug-ins for Microsoft explorer and they have indd and Ai previews available. However, importing them correctly would be of another mangitude.

I don't think they can read thoses files, but some preview image or PDF preview embedded in them.

Well for INDD files see for example: What Is an INDD File? it's another more proprietary Adobe Indesign related format.

Generally the problem is, that there aren't that much standardized (license fee free and open) vector file formats for common exchange etc. and mostly every company does use it's own crippled proprietary file format stuff here. A lot of common industry wide used graphics file formats (no surprise) do stem initially from inside of the Adobe universe, since they are historical very long time players in that graphics domain and thus their software is and has been the industry most widely used. Also a lot of their (Adobe) file formats do originate partly way back to old postscript times, but have been changed and modified over the years, also with newer build-in/added custom proprietary elements etc. Other by them used formats have been taken over from software acquisitions and mergers with other companies (Altsys, Aldus, Macromedia etc.) and as far as still in widely use also have been changed over time here.

Another problem is, even if some common file format might be well defined and standardized that doesn't mean that it's treated equally good by every software who can deal with it via import/export etc. Some file formats are very complex and not every software supports every possible aspect of a certain file format (SVG is probably one good example here). So there can be huge differences under certain conditions how a file format is parsed (read) and interpreted at all, also how it is then generated and written back.

All in all and strictly speaking there isn't any one format that can "please them all" here, especially when looking after something that can be always foolproved used for exchanging data between different software systems.