TonyB

Affinity Publisher - Sneak Preview

A bit worrying to see serif's plans for another software although the community is still waiting for necessary features of AD. I remember very well that two years ago, it was said that the users shall remain patient with their requests due to the intense work on AP. Now, two years and only few AD features later, serif has another big project, where they have to focus on, and again no time to include the features into AD, which are on the road map since version 1.0. That's bad news. 

Hi MartinWales,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

No, there's no plans to support the PagePlus format. The first version/release will not cover all PagePlus functionality, since we are building the whole Affinity line from scratch so there's no parity between (the features of) the two programs which means some features would be lost during the translation/import of the files. We advise you to continue using PagePlus for your current projects and move to Publisher for new ones or export your projects as PDF files and import them in Affinity Publisher.

54 minutes ago, MEB said:

export your projects as PDF files and import them in Affinity Publisher.

Dear MEB

Do you ever export your PagePlus Document (not just a single page flyer or 8 page brochure) as a PDF and Import in Affinity? Does Affinity support Embed font/Import Text as curve?

PDF never being a solution for me when it's a PagePlus Document. Sorry it is not an option for me.

54 minutes ago, MEB said:

We advise you to continue using PagePlus for your current projects and move to Publisher for new ones.

Good suggestion.  

Serif Software user since 2008 | Not an active forum user since July 4, 2019 after getting a nice response from Developer.

Then the first version of APublisher will be no option for you.

i don't know how often Affinity have to say it: There will be NO PagePlus import.

28 minutes ago, Tia Lapis said:

i don't know how often Affinity have to say it: There will be NO PagePlus import.

Serif! Affinity can't talk. Not yet ;)

My Specs:
- Processor: AMD Phenom™ II X4 955 Processor 3.20 GHz- RAM: 8 GB
- Graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250
- Monitor: SyncMaster F2380 (resolution 1920x1080)
- Operating system: Windows 10 Pro (1803) / 64 bit

I can't use PagePlus anymore as I've upgraded to Mac. I was hoping AP would enable me to pick up where I'd left off. If I export all my templates to PDF, will AP be able to edit them without problems, or should I just replicate the templates in AP?

3 hours ago, Laserjunge said:

A bit worrying to see serif's plans for another software although the community is still waiting for necessary features of AD. I remember very well that two years ago, it was said that the users shall remain patient with their requests due to the intense work on AP. Now, two years and only few AD features later, serif has another big project, where they have to focus on, and again no time to include the features into AD, which are on the road map since version 1.0. That's bad news. 

That only shows that you don’t see the big picture. AP, AD, and APub are going to be a trinity where each program complements one another, and (it has been mentioned before) features of one program are also going to be implemented in the other two. I’m just speculating here but the time it takes now for new features in AP and AD is probably going to be made up twice once APub is out. Also, I seem to remember having read, that a lot of code for AD 1.7 is already in the current version, but it’s not active yet, in preparation for the release of APub.

But what’s the point in bad-mouthing Serif without knowing what they’re up to?

12 hours ago, Michail said:

Too many cooks spoil the porridge. (German proverb)

The usual English version is “Too many cooks spoil the broth.”

Like most (if not all) proverbs, there’s another one which says the opposite: “Many hands make light work.”

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 1.7.3.481 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.7.3.155 • Designer for iPad 1.7.3.1 • iPadOS 13.2.2 (iPad Air 2)

2 hours ago, MartinWales said:

I can't use PagePlus anymore as I've upgraded to Mac. I was hoping AP would enable me to pick up where I'd left off. If I export all my templates to PDF, will AP be able to edit them without problems, or should I just replicate the templates in AP?

The compatibility won't be 100% of course because of features that will not yet be available to support the properties. Exporting works differently for each program too. I have files I made in both Illustrator and Microsoft Word that support pages and then saved as PDF. When bringing them into Designer, I get the pages as artboards and the text is still editable. However, the ones which were originally Illustrator files have lines of text in a paragraph as individual text layers, but the ones that were originally Word files have each paragraph as a single text layer (as I want it to be). So it's difficult to answer. It depends on how the program exports the properties. One similar problem I did catch with both, however, is difference of kerning (character spacing).

Can you test your exported PDF in Designer and see how that works?

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

Pitching in with a dutch saying;

"The best navigators are on shore"

So let the captain remain its course and you'll get to port.

_Hans

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Win10(1909)Home / Photo / Designer / Publisher & latest (beta) versions

13 hours ago, SrPx said:

Keeping your expectations not so high might be healthy.

For me, that's not beginning from scratch, since the previous app PP gave a lot of trial and errors, to do/not to do, etc. for planning and thinking about what should be APub. Looking at other programs can help too. I don't think at APub as a beginner tool, or a new app to compare with other ones that do half the job too.
AP and AD are succesfull enought to proove that they are good programs and there's a public for them: for companies and people working on their own.

Such success (and expectations, as in this thread) should improve what was the first project for APub. 

I know I won't be able to do what I did on Xpress or what I do now with ID, since a lot of features can't be expected with a version 1, but I can hope for more :)

12 hours ago, nitro912gr said:

As for teaching affinity in schools, this seems hard to happen. Schools are so slow to adapt, by the time they will find out about affinity we will all be dead from old age.

[…] some stupid mantras like "designers use macs and adobe only".

I said "teaching", but "showing" is more what I was thinking. I wasn't teached Xpress at school, or other apps, I learned with books and doing my own work…But if we were curious and adventurous and able to test programs and OS because it was possible, I'm not sure people do this a lot today.

Here in France, they forget to teach about using tools but tend to teach to use specific applications from specific big companies. When I tried Affinity' apps, instead of curiosity, questions and such I was expecting from people doing the same job, I was told : "If 'they' make us change app at work, I'll quit".

(About the mantra: alas! it isn't dead yet… I hear it from lot of young — and not so young — people a lot)

Since some training centre/seminars (?) — "centre de formation" —  are planning to add Affinity's program in their sessions, I thougth it was logical that i.e. schools used those apps too: we expect people knowing how to use Adobe's products to easily use Affinity's products, why not the other way around ?

And like you nitro912gr, long ago we swithed between Windows and Linux, playing game on the 1st and testing, coding or using Gimp on the second… we used Mac too, all is only tools to play with :)

17 hours ago, Laserjunge said:

what do you mean? AD is getting updates and improvements, what is that you are still consider necessary and is not available? Personally I feel complete with the add of searchable font menu.

Sure I still want a couple of things added but with the current state of AD anything more will be a matter of polishing not necessity.

Also as mentioned above is about the holy trinity now, better to have APub out first and then refocus on improving everything, I was still able to use AD even without every tool I wanted till they add them, but I'm not able to use APub even in a premature form if they don't release it first.

11 hours ago, Wosven said:

I said "teaching", but "showing" is more what I was thinking. I wasn't teached Xpress at school, or other apps, I learned with books and doing my own work…But if we were curious and adventurous and able to test programs and OS because it was possible, I'm not sure people do this a lot today.

Here in France, they forget to teach about using tools but tend to teach to use specific applications from specific big companies. When I tried Affinity' apps, instead of curiosity, questions and such I was expecting from people doing the same job, I was told : "If 'they' make us change app at work, I'll quit".

(About the mantra: alas! it isn't dead yet… I hear it from lot of young — and not so young — people a lot)

Since some training centre/seminars (?) — "centre de formation" —  are planning to add Affinity's program in their sessions, I thougth it was logical that i.e. schools used those apps too: we expect people knowing how to use Adobe's products to easily use Affinity's products, why not the other way around ?

And like you nitro912gr, long ago we swithed between Windows and Linux, playing game on the 1st and testing, coding or using Gimp on the second… we used Mac too, all is only tools to play with :)

It is the same everywhere I guess, if I have to make a list I could say 8 out of 10 colleges or universities that say they are teaching graphic design, they actually just teach specific programs. It used to be worst, at least now they have added some classes for art history, free hand drawing, color theory etc, but they are still mostly machines for mass production of people who know the programs.

Current Workstation:
CPU: AMD FX 8350 Wraith - MOBO: Asus Sabertooth 990fx r2.0 - RAM: 8GB DDR3 2133Mhz - GPU: ASUS AMD Radeon R7 250 1GB
SSD: Samsung Evo 850 256GB - HDD: 2x WD Black 640GB - PSU: XFX TS450 - OS: Win10

12 hours ago, Alfred said:

Like most (if not all) proverbs, there’s another one which says the opposite: “Many hands make light work.”

There is also the German version "Many Hans make light arbeit" which is the slogan of the electrician's union.

21 hours ago, haakoo said:

Pitching in with a dutch saying;

"The best navigators are on shore"

So let the captain remain its course and you'll get to port.

_Hans

That is a really good way to put it, and I hope it's understood that my post wasn't meant as a complaint but to help out MartinWales with some of my experience. I am very confident in Affinity's result.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

34 minutes ago, ianrobertdouglas said:

A vector knife tool should have been in v1

A vector knife tool is on the version 1 roadmap. Do you simply mean that it should have been in the very first retail build? :/

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 1.7.3.481 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.7.3.155 • Designer for iPad 1.7.3.1 • iPadOS 13.2.2 (iPad Air 2)

@Bri-Toon 

My post wasn't addressed to you.

Saw some proverbs coming by,concerning what should or should not be in the APub development.(sigh)
I tried to make a point regarding this with my Dutch saying

_Hans

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Win10(1909)Home / Photo / Designer / Publisher & latest (beta) versions

13 minutes ago, ianrobertdouglas said:

A vector knife tool should have been in v1

Yes. Obviously.

And I would have picked other things that should have been in the first release. For instance, as regards slicing and dicing, I would be happy to divide objects with a line. And I would have placed real pages and (at least) bleed indication before a knife tool.

While I do get frustrated at work-arounds at times, Serif isn't a democracy. I am but a serf in their kingdom and have no say in things.

11 minutes ago, MikeW said:

I would be happy to divide objects with a line

So would I, Mike, but isn't that really just an elegant and versatile implementation of a knife tool?

Alfred online2long.gif

10 minutes ago, MikeW said:

For instance, as regards slicing and dicing, I would be happy to divide objects with a line

Maybe I'm missing something, but so far as I can see you cannot. Boolean operations will close the curve, so I cannot arbitrarily divide a square, for example, precisely with no gaps, with a line. Or I expand the stroke and deal with the gap.

3 minutes ago, ianrobertdouglas said:

Maybe I'm missing something, but so far as I can see you cannot.

No, you're not missing anything. Mike and I would be happy to (be able to) divide objects with a line. That's something you can do in other graphics applications, but it isn't something we can currently do in AD.

Alfred online2long.gif