TonyB

Affinity Publisher - Sneak Preview

11 minutes ago, Rick G said:

Alfred ... is not linked text frames one of the core features of a desktop publishing program?

Yes, of course it is, Rick! Please see below for an edited version of my previous post, which I hope clarifies the point I was trying to make.

2 hours ago, Alfred said:

Why would you want a DTP app [such as Affinity Publisher] to replace Illy? Designer ... already has good text handling, and if you want to produce packaging design I can’t imagine that the continued absence of linked text frames [in Designer] would bother you too much.

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 1.7.1.404 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.7.1.143 • Designer for iPad 1.7.1.1 • iOS 12.4 (iPad Air 2)

2 minutes ago, Alfred said:

Yes, of course it is, Rick! Please see below for an edited version of my previous post, which I hope clarifies the point I was trying to make.

Thank you sir. My coffee has not kicked in yet

Affinity Designer 1.7.1.404 & beta 1.7.2.464  Affinity Photo 1.7.1.404 beta  1.7.2.464 Affinity Publisher 1.7.0.422 beta  1.7.2.458

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 1709

CPU Intel Core i7 4770 @ 3.40GHz Haswell 22nm Technology

RAM 32.0 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 798 MHz (11-11-11-28)

Motherboard Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. B85M-D3H (SOCKET 0)

Graphics Intel HD Graphics 4600 (Gigabyte)

yoda.png

7 hours ago, Alfred said:

Why would you want a DTP app to replace Illy? Designer should do the job once your current concerns about it are addressed: it already has good text handling, and if you want to produce packaging design I can’t imagine that the continued absence of linked text frames would bother you too much.

DTP's tend to have better typographic control and better asset placement/management. Illustrator has historically been used for packaging and other sorts of design work (posters, brochures, leaflets, etc) because 1. it was an additional expense to buy InDesign for both designer and printer/manufacturer, but mainly 2. InDesign is a massive beast of complexity and terrible UI choices, if you want to do just a couple of pages you'll get it done faster in Illustrator.

Illustrator is a vector DRAWING application, it would have no business in doing any sort of layout, or content handling, it should be used for illustration and drawings only. But the unwieldiness of the proper application for this (InDesign) has turned it into the default choice.

Anyway, I digress, I'll take whatever does the job best and fastest.

17 minutes ago, LCamachoDesign said:

Illustrator is a vector DRAWING application, it would have no business in doing any sort of layout, or content handling, it should be used for illustration and drawings only...

Just a tidbit. Adobe has used Illy for their manuals in the past. Seems silly to me.

And to Alfred,

When I was using PP regularly but also had DP installed, I never used DP for a brochure or flier. And if I had DP installed today (PP still is), I wouldn't use it for such work.

If frame threading never makes it to AD (silly decision to exclude it), I too would opt to use APub for simple work over AD. Oh, and if image/resource linking doesn't make it to either, I may make a flier, a poster, etc., in AD or APub (whichever makes sense for the job), but wouldn't use either for serious work until such time as linking is available.

My computer is a nothing-special Toshiba laptop with unremarkable specs running Windows 10 64-bit.

13 minutes ago, MikeW said:

If frame threading never makes it to AD (silly decision to exclude it), I too would opt to use APub for simple work over AD.

For a brochure or flyer, of course you would, but for packaging design? :/

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 1.7.1.404 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.7.1.143 • Designer for iPad 1.7.1.1 • iOS 12.4 (iPad Air 2)

6 minutes ago, Alfred said:

For a brochure or flyer, of course you would, but for packaging design? :/

I suppose it depends on what packaging design means. But I have done packaging design in, well, about everything I have used. Unless I need labeled measurements and/or die-lines, I have use Q, ID, AI, XDP, CD, etc. About the only application I have never used for a package design is Viva Designer. If die-lines need created, I'll just use CD from the start. But typographically (simply meaning type elements here), CD is slower than say Q is to layout the text, size it, etc.

Even so, there may be elements I do use a vector application for and place into the layout application. Like nutritional labels. Hence but one reason I want linked assets in both APub and AD.

My computer is a nothing-special Toshiba laptop with unremarkable specs running Windows 10 64-bit.

AD is fine for few pages, I have managed a 12 page catalog so far and I will push it all the way to 24 pages just to see where are the limits.

I can sacrifice some control over the text for more design freedom, with indesign and illustrator I had to be back and forth between the 2 to change design elements even for a 4 pages brochure.

Now I simple make the whole thing in AD, even if it start to slow down because of the many pictures, I find it easier and faster to just make it page by page in ad (to avoid the slowdown).

Sure it is not and I hope it will never be a DTP program (I don't want it to end up like the adobe behemoths that try to do everything and end up with a complex, huge and slow program) but as far as a few pages work go (or multi pages with low demands on text control) I think it handle.

I will agree for linked assets, they are a pain if you forget to embed them but they will make the whole work so much easier. Actually this is the only pain I have with doing DTP work in AD, in the first draft I place a picture that need background removal and I remove the background later, I have to insert the picture again and add again the right attributes. With a linked file I should at worst had to update the link.

Current Workstation:
CPU: AMD FX 8350 Wraith - MOBO: Asus Sabertooth 990fx r2.0 - RAM: 8GB DDR3 2133Mhz - GPU: ASUS AMD Radeon R7 250 1GB
SSD: Samsung Evo 850 256GB - HDD: 2x WD Black 640GB - PSU: XFX TS450 - OS: Win10

The need to create a DTP software by Affinity I believe is aware that AD has some limitations in the management of many pages.

See the AP and AD icons in the interface foreshadowing advanced interoperability.

What would give me great satisfaction is to have the possibility to isolate and modify every single element of the paginated form in the "persona" AD or AP.

It would be a great thing to be able to concentrate simply on a single element isolated from the graphic context.

Obviously all the tools of the text will be necessary for a good job.

In fact all this happens in Adobe products but often it is very rough and with an interface too complex.

A new way of seeing and doing things is the great news of Affinity ... keep it up !!!

On 2/28/2018 at 8:47 PM, MikeW said:

Just a tidbit. Adobe has used Illy for their manuals in the past. Seems silly to me.

Manuals was written and produced with FrameMaker, long before InDesign existed at all and I assume, they are written still with FrameMaker, and not only by Adobe. Best former DTP and probably still today. Bad only Adobe killed it for OS X/MacOS. I was using FrameMaker at times of NeXTStep and it already had at least all the functions asked for in this blog. So that might be the goal for Affinity Publisher at first.

While noticing today's new upgrades for AP and AD, I stumbled across this news and the video. Sounds great! 

While I oftentimes hate to admit it, I started out on PageMaker 1.0 with the then brand new LaserWriter ($6k+) and Mac SE. I not only used virtually all early DTP/graphics software and new iterations for many of my companies (including a media production company), I also taught the software during its several-year rollout. Also evangelized and set-up numerous ad agencies, media producers, newspapers, printers and university "commercial art" departments in the "new" electronic publishing and graphics methods and equipment/software. Over the years, I used and taught most of the popular software packages. Some good, many terrible. I came from the "manual" world, so understood what was really needed for day-to-day production versus flashy features.

My 2¢ on the new A-Publisher is that I hope it can correctly open recent InDesign documents (we've stayed pre-cloud). While I saw one poster who wondered why anyone wanted to open an old document, the reality of media production has been and still is the ability to use the thousands of client files we store to either update materials, specifications, pics, etc., or to use an old publication/document as the basis for a totally "new" design -- but a "new" design that uses much of the old design as its basis. Just how it is for commercial design/publication work. And clients most often aren't willing to simply abandon otherwise good publications. Many just don't spend money for total from-scrartch redo's. Thus recycling is critical to a normal workflow.

If accurate import of InDesign (notice that I didn't ask for import of PageMaker docs????  ;-D ) is not available or working well, it would terribly slow down the adoption of this new software. Just can't spend client's money rebuilding hundreds and hundreds of previously created work.

There are many other "base" features that are important in DTP, but I assume Affinity has studied ID for quite some time. But it doesn't hurt to verify with people who make their living with this software every day for many, many years what are "nice to have" versus "critical". Could mean the difference between rapid adoption versus a multi-year roll-out. 

I'll keep my eyes and ears open to see how this all shapes up. Very encouraging. While our staff still occasionally curse and swear at things that can't be done in AP and AD, overall have been very pleased. So that bodes well for Publisher!

--------------------

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017) • Radeon Pro 580 8192 MB • macOS High Sierra

Essential for you, perhaps, but I’m sure there are many users of word-processing and DTP software who never use tables. Besides, as anyone who has used an old-fashioned typewriter will know, there are workarounds.

You clearly haven't tried to do anything serious with the current AD implementation of tabs. Rumour has it that the Geneva War Crimes Tribunal is considering banning it as cruel and unnatural punishment.

3 hours ago, Krustysimplex said:

You clearly haven't tried to do anything serious with the current AD implementation of tabs.

Designer's tabs does not work for me at all. It behave strangely with me.

3 hours ago, Krustysimplex said:

You clearly haven't tried to do anything serious with the current AD implementation of tabs.

Guilty as charged! :$

Alfred online2long.gif

2 minutes ago, Arun Sarkar said:

Ha Ha Ha....

Did you try Tab Alfred in your work? :D

I think I’ve already answered that, Arun! ;)

Alfred online2long.gif

11 hours ago, Tia Lapis said:

AD is a drawing application. I'll never get why people expect it to be good at text.

No, AD is also an application for user interface design. And UIs do sometimes contain text, it is said.

On 12/14/2017 at 4:23 PM, Alfred said:

We were previously led to expect the beta this winter and the retail version next summer! Oh well....

Edit: I've just seen the 'patience' hashtag on the Twitter page. LOL.

We were previously lead to believe - TonyB post 2nd Nov 2014 - Publisher should be in beta by the end of next year, I make that 2015.

As I don't use Twitter cannot find patience hashtag

On 3/2/2018 at 0:25 AM, nwhit said:

While noticing today's new upgrades for AP and AD, I stumbled across this news and the video. Sounds great! 

What new upgrades for AP & AD?????

What news & video????

14 hours ago, Tia Lapis said:

How that? Isn't that the work for Interface Builder in Xcode?

To develop a UI, perhaps, but to conceptualize it and create the graphical components, AD is the tool.

On 27.2.2018 at 8:33 AM, nitro912gr said:

Actually now that you mention it, I think inDesign files compatibility is more important than pageplus, simple because it is more likely to receive a file from another agency or the client himself made with indesign. Nothing "personal" but inDesign is the industry standard now and the only way to "steal" users from it is to have compatibility with it's files, like designer open .ai and photo open .psd.

Will publisher be able to do this?

InDesign is not an industry standard. A program cannot be an industry standard because other programs produce similar-looking results.
There is a single standard of relevance that Adobe has created, and that is PDF format. It is therefore very important that APub is able to create flawless PDFs. Serif is certainly capable of this.

My Specs:
- Processor: AMD Phenom™ II X4 955 Processor 3.20 GHz- RAM: 8 GB
- Graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250
- Monitor: SyncMaster F2380 (resolution 1920x1080)
- Operating system: Windows 10 Pro (1803) / 64 bit

On 27.2.2018 at 8:54 AM, TonyB said:

InDesign IDML files are something we would like to support. The format is very large and complex so will not make it into the initial release but we will support them in the future.

IDML support is of course important. This will be difficult enough, because even Adobe makes mistakes here.

I'm interested in another subject:
InDesign files are never backward-compatible. This disturbs many users colossally. Will this also be the case with APub files?

My Specs:

On 28.2.2018 at 8:24 PM, LCamachoDesign said:

... DTP's tend to have better typographic control and better asset placement/management. ...

AD and APub have the same code base.

On 1.3.2018 at 9:01 PM, Rainer101 said:

Manuals was written and produced with FrameMaker, long before InDesign existed at all and I assume, they are written still with FrameMaker, and not only by Adobe. Best former DTP and probably still today. Bad only Adobe killed it for OS X/MacOS. I was using FrameMaker at times of NeXTStep and it already had at least all the functions asked for in this blog. So that might be the goal for Affinity Publisher at first.

FrameMaker is totally unsuitable for creative design!

My Specs:

37 minutes ago, Michail said:

InDesign is not an industry standard. A program cannot be an industry standard because other programs produce similar-looking results.

Well, that’s something one can argue about; it depends on the definition of “standard”. Colloquially this means it’s the application with the widest usage, i. e. it’s basically a standard to use this and whoever uses other programs is kind of in a niche.