TonyB

Affinity Publisher - Sneak Preview

Today I had to do some work in Indesign, which made me think of Affinity. I'm still using CS5 because I'm not a fan of software subscriptions and my Adobe apps are still just kind of limping along on my Mac but I don't hold out much hope for them when I do upgrade to 10.12. Affinity Photo and Affinity Designer have allowed me to leave Photoshop and Illustrator so I'm really looking forward to the release of Affinity Publisher.

On 23/02/2018 at 1:41 PM, TonyB said:

Sorry but Publisher will not have any data merging features at release. These kind of features will be added but we have no timeframes for them yet.

Ok ...

This is something I do not understand as it seems to be a solid feature to add . Everyday I am making catalog and promotional booklet for supermarkets and retail shops. I can' imaging, on a daily basis, filling one by one every text block and pictures . With Indesign I just have my master pages link to an xl file with text and path to the images, click "merge" , tweak here and there the layout, assemble the booklet,then done ! Customers are happy and I am getting paid, so i am happy too ... except Adobe is taking part of it every month, like if Freelancers did not had enough taxes in France. :D 

Auto feeding pages would  definitely be an attractive feature . The one in Indesign is far from ideal and  it is necessary to  install the EasyCatalog plugin which is far from being cheap. I am seriously thinking of using an ill...#cought#..gal version. please help me to stay an honest infographist. :D  ... no pressure.

Anyway I already drop AI and PS for Affinity Designer and Photo, can't wait to have a look at Publisher.

8 minutes ago, HenriTB said:

Ok ...

This is something I do not understand as it seems to be a solid feature to add . Everyday I am making catalog and promotional booklet for supermarkets and retail shops. I can' imaging, on a daily basis, filling one by one every text block and pictures . With Indesign I just have my master pages link to an xl file with text and path to the images, click "merge" , tweak here and there the layout, assemble the booklet,then done ! Customers are happy and I am getting paid, so i am happy too ... except Adobe is taking part of it every month, like if Freelancers did not had enough taxes in France. :D 

Auto feeding pages would  definitely be an attractive feature . The one in Indesign is far from ideal and  it is necessary to  install the EasyCatalog plugin which is far from being cheap. I am seriously thinking of using an ill...#cought#..gal version. please help me to stay an honest infographist. :D  ... no pressure.

Anyway I already drop AI and PS for Affinity Designer and Photo, can't wait to have a look at Publisher.

We agree that the feature is very useful, it just won't make it into the initial release. If we added all the features we think have value then it would take us another 10 years to release :) 

We hope the initial feature list we please enough users to count as a success but we know we this will not be enough to please all users.

On 12/14/2017 at 8:55 AM, Filo63 said:

all this is very exciting !!!

The only real concern is "compatibility" with InDesign files ... having a historical archive and having to rebuild it all is frustrating

Agreed. this is obviously an important possible feature that many will be looking for.

Actually now that you mention it, I think inDesign files compatibility is more important than pageplus, simple because it is more likely to receive a file from another agency or the client himself made with indesign. Nothing "personal" but inDesign is the industry standard now and the only way to "steal" users from it is to have compatibility with it's files, like designer open .ai and photo open .psd.

Will publisher be able to do this?

Current Workstation:
CPU: AMD FX 8350 Wraith - MOBO: Asus Sabertooth 990fx r2.0 - RAM: 8GB DDR3 2133Mhz - GPU: ASUS AMD Radeon R7 250 1GB
SSD: Samsung Evo 850 256GB - HDD: 2x WD Black 640GB - PSU: XFX TS450 - OS: Win10

21 minutes ago, nitro912gr said:

Actually now that you mention it, I think inDesign files compatibility is more important than pageplus, simple because it is more likely to receive a file from another agency or the client himself made with indesign. Nothing "personal" but inDesign is the industry standard now and the only way to "steal" users from it is to have compatibility with it's files, like designer open .ai and photo open .psd.

InDesign IDML files are something we would like to support. The format is very large and complex so will not make it into the initial release but we will support them in the future.

49 minutes ago, nitro912gr said:

I suppose since current Affinity programs support the import of Photoshop and Illustrator files (and since Serif wants people to switch), it would be stupid if APub wouldn’t also support InDesign files, so the question is kind of moot. :)

16 minutes ago, VIPStephan said:

I suppose since current Affinity programs support the import of Photoshop and Illustrator files (and since Serif wants people to switch), it would be stupid if APub wouldn’t also support InDesign files, so the question is kind of moot. :)

We only support Illustrator via the embedded PDF stream but I get your point. Photoshop file format is also mainly undocumented so again is a constant battle for us to support but we feel it's very important.

1 hour ago, TonyB said:

InDesign IDML files are something we would like to support. The format is very large and complex so will not make it into the initial release but we will support them in the future.

Hi Tony, feel free to contact me on David AT Markzware DOT nl for we may be able to assist. You can delete this message if you see fit, of course. LOL

Welcome to the Serif Affinity Forums, David. :)

26 minutes ago, Markzware said:

Markzware

It would be great if Affinity Publisher could support QuarkXPress documents as well as InDesign files. ;)

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 1.7.1.404 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.7.1.143 • Designer for iPad 1.7.1.1 • iOS 12.3.1 (iPad Air 2)

20 minutes ago, Alfred said:

Welcome to the Serif Affinity Forums, David. :)

It would be great if Affinity Publisher could support QuarkXPress documents as well as InDesign files. ;)

Or for Affinity to release Import plugins later for PP/ID/QX 

It would be wonderful and I marvel at the optimism in this thread, but Affinity Publisher is not going to replace InDesign, PagePlus and QuarkXPress (and all your QXP plugins written because after n-years QuarkXPress still didn't have all the features everyone wanted) by the time Affinity Publisher launches. It will be good, but to think it will instantly replace all the market leaders from the last 15 years would take a lot of (dis)belief.

It just goes to show how keen you are to move away from the current offerings, which we appreciate.

However with our ground up suite based approach there is a chance we can deliver the next great go to tool.

Patrick Connor

Serif (Europe) Ltd.

28 minutes ago, LCamachoDesign said:

I find this worrying... tables are an essential feature even in a word processor, let alone a DTP. :/

Essential for you, perhaps, but I’m sure there are many users of word-processing and DTP software who never use tables. Besides, as anyone who has used an old-fashioned typewriter will know, there are workarounds.

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 1.7.1.404 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.7.1.143 • Designer for iPad 1.7.1.1 • iOS 12.3.1 (iPad Air 2)

Maybe we the windows users are a little bit spoiled since we got a more complete version for designer and photo :P

Current Workstation:
CPU: AMD FX 8350 Wraith - MOBO: Asus Sabertooth 990fx r2.0 - RAM: 8GB DDR3 2133Mhz - GPU: ASUS AMD Radeon R7 250 1GB
SSD: Samsung Evo 850 256GB - HDD: 2x WD Black 640GB - PSU: XFX TS450 - OS: Win10

Some of us Windows users are quite happy with the way things go. :D

Affinity Designer and Affinity Photo licenses, Windows 7, i7  860 (2009) 2.8 GHz,  8 GB RAM, GTX 1050 2 GB, HD 7200 RPM.  Wacom Intuos 4 XL.

Thanks for the Great AD and AP. DTP is still used by commercial houses, but honestly, the world seems to be moving to e documents. I use Apple iBooks Author. It is free, but if you want to use all the widget functionality ( 3D Collada files, Video, etc) you have to publish to the iBooks store and give Apple 30% (the file format is xxx.iBooks instead of xxx.ePUB). Yes, you can publish anywhere in the open format, PDF or ePUB, but you lose all the widget functionality. I guess you can guess where I am going....sure would be nice it Serif would create the widget 3D, video capabilities, Q and A testing, etc of ePUB in a more open environment for eBooks. Thanks

On ‎27‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 10:01 AM, Patrick Connor said:

It would be wonderful and I marvel at the optimism in this thread, but Affinity Publisher is not going to replace InDesign, PagePlus and QuarkXPress (and all your QXP plugins written because after n-years QuarkXPress still didn't have all the features everyone wanted) by the time Affinity Publisher launches. It will be good, but to think it will instantly replace all the market leaders from the last 15 years would take a lot of (dis)belief.

It just goes to show how keen you are to move away from the current offerings, which we appreciate.

However with our ground up suite based approach there is a chance we can deliver the next great go to tool.

I'm actually hoping that Publisher replaces Illustrator, not InDesign. Illy's text engine is miserable and 2018 update broke it in a number of frustrating ways. If I can produce packaging design without fighting the engine all the time it's already a plus.

27 minutes ago, LCamachoDesign said:

I'm actually hoping that Publisher replaces Illustrator, not InDesign. Illy's text engine is miserable and 2018 update broke it in a number of frustrating ways. If I can produce packaging design without fighting the engine all the time it's already a plus.

Why would you want a DTP app to replace Illy? Designer should do the job once your current concerns about it are addressed: it already has good text handling, and if you want to produce packaging design I can’t imagine that the continued absence of linked text frames would bother you too much.

Alfred online2long.gif

2 hours ago, Alfred said:

I can’t imagine that the continued absence of linked text frames would bother you too much.

Alfred ... is not linked text frames one of the core features of a desktop publishing program? I am not challenging you rather I do not understand the comment.

Thanks

Affinity Designer 1.7.0.367 & beta 1.7.0.424 Affinity Photo 1.7.0.367 beta  1.7.0.424 Affinity Publisher 1.7.0.422

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 1709

CPU Intel Core i7 4770 @ 3.40GHz Haswell 22nm Technology

RAM 32.0 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 798 MHz (11-11-11-28)

Motherboard Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. B85M-D3H (SOCKET 0)

Graphics Intel HD Graphics 4600 (Gigabyte)

yoda.png