You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Publisher - Sneak Preview

TonyB

22 minutes ago, Rick G said:

As for Grammar ... she is out in the kitchen baking cookies

Ah, the old ones are the best! xD

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

My days of manipulating em's & en's are rapidly coming to an end; been in the typography business since the 50's... Started out distributing foundry type in the California job cases during summer at my Dad's shop in Philly. Went through the IBM Selectric kick of the 60's, the Compugraphic Unified Composer kicks of the 70's, the Bedford RTCS of the 80's, and the Apple/PageMaker kick of the 90's. Fooled with Quack Depressed also in the 90's. Getting tired of Adobe. Hope to experience Publisher before the end comes due.

I check back from time to time, only to find pages over pages with "where is publisher" posts. Really guys, don't you have anything better to do than bitching about it all the time? I mean if we clear up this thread we will barely get 3-4 pages of posts...

I wait for publisher too, I desperately need it even now that I'm afraid it will not do some tricks with varied numbering I do in iD, but I just wait. Just like I waited for photo and designer to come in windows. And once it arrived, it delivered.

All this waste of energy here, it is almost a shame.

As a side note, I'm a gamer as well and I have seen where this impatience leads to. People were crying for getting a game to play faster and developers where pushing out unfinished games that needed huge patches in the first day of release to work... the games ofc where crippled.

So just say no. Just wait for publisher "when its done", because this is the only way to get something good.

Current Workstation:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5500 - MOBO: Asus B450 - RAM: 16GB DDR4 2667Mhz - GPU: AMD Radeon 7850 1GB
NVMe SSD: Crusial P3 1TB M.2 -  SSD: Samsung Evo 850 256GB  - PSU: XFX TS450 - OS: Win10

9 hours ago, MikeW said:

I don't subscribe to any thread. I get notifications in the symbols at the top of the forum if someone quotes me and I opt to view the threads I have participated in via the link under the Activity button:

capture-001963.png.fab4ec4c6954adf9dc33fcf6e509671e.png

I use that link itself as the one I get here with. That way I can see activity in the threads I care about first, then I simply click on the Activity button to see what other things are going on.

Thanks for the tip, Mike! 

Mac OS High Sierra (by choice—won't "upgrade" until forced to), MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2018), 2.9 GHz Intel Core i9, 32 GB 2400 MHz DDR4, Radeon Pro 560X 4096 MB, Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB, two 43" 4K TVs for monitors. 

+ a 2008 Mac Desktop and a 2008 MacBook Pro 15", both of which still work great, but are just slow, comparatively.

On 7/5/2018 at 7:44 AM, Sam Neil said:

The is issue is getting the priority right. Personally I would find the value of a major product on major platform which make up 1/3 of the collection far more important than shifting the focus on Designer for iPad. Is their user base is so high that it warrants such decision? I am sure Adobe would not have delayed the development of InDesign and say we are focusing on Illustrator for iPad first! To me this madness... But hey I am not the company or the developer...

They need money to continue developing. So selling new products to get income is a normal way of doing things. You can't expect them to work for free, do you? Income ensures development of all products.

On 7/5/2018 at 4:07 PM, dannyg9 said:

If the Adobe story has taught us anything, it should be that we have to have options and engage them in order to have an uninterrupted work flow (Mike W seems to epitomize this). When Publisher hits (Beta or otherwise), I'll be there. I've transitioned from Photoshop and Illustrator to Photo and Designer, I've got Pixelmator, and I've been using QuarkXpress for 7 months now with no regrets. Took a while to export/import my InDesign CS5 files (some still to be converted) and I'm happy to say that I'm out of the Adobe design cycle. I use the latest CC at work because that's what they've got. The possible future of elements of the Creative Cloud can be seen firsthand in Adobe's EOL of MUSE. As many have posted here before, there's quite a bit of perfectly good software that Adobe has killed off and other programs that they've let wallow or become bloated. Pretty sure that no matter what Publisher may lack at the outset it will only go forward and become better.

The signs are there allready by the split of LightRoom into a stand alone version and cloud version. But how long will this stand alone version be available?

They are working on a smooth transition to the cloud.

On 7/5/2018 at 8:23 PM, Arnaud Mez said:

So much pages for the same software. 
I believe Serif should make it very attractive even in beta version for the level  of frustration to be dropped down. 
When is summer really ending? 

We are already in July so waiting few more weeks is not a bad thing. 
@MattP will Affinity Publisher work on a  PC with 4gb Ram + 2ghz Core2duo running windows 10 Pro x64 version 1803? 

See it's not only a good thing to make a good software but it's better make it run on config with just enough resources, if it works well with that then those having monster config will enjoy even better and everyone will be happy at their respective level. 

Please make sure we have the link or live link ready and working for the beta version, so we can test it and revert back telling you how it works. 
I believe you have prepared something great guys!
You rocks and have my support. 

Of course it will.

If Affinity Photo and Designer are running just fine on your pc, expect Publisher to do the same thing as they all share the same engine!

On 7/6/2018 at 10:13 AM, MattP said:

There's no 'priority' issue here. I'm the Project Manager (and Lead Developer) of Affinity Designer, so I'm busy working on my next release (AD for iPad) whereas we have a whole team of developers working on Affinity Publisher and have had for a long time now. My post was really about apologising I've not been around as much as usual (because I'm very busy!) and about reassuring you that Publisher is still coming along nicely from what I can see... I'll move on to help out the team with Publisher imminently, sure, but it's not like there's been a pause while everyone waits for my help! ;) They're much better at Publisher-specific stuff than me anyway, so I just need to help out in the areas that I'm good at! As with any of our products, they won't be released until we're actually happy with them, because at the end of the day, nobody wants software that doesn't really 'work' properly! :S 

It's difficult from my perspective to imagine what we could have done here to make customers feel less frustrated by the lack of progress?... Development of good software is often an iterative process - it's SO unlikely you'll just hit the sweet-spot on your first go at typing something and you'll need to start again with new knowledge and try something a little different - that process is notoriously terribly difficult to estimate how long it takes. In a world where it only matters if something actually works or not, then maybe your first go would've been good enough and maybe timescales are easier to guess, but we're looking for a great solution, not just any solution... So Publisher seems to be taking a while when viewed from the outside - but there's no 'problem' here, everything is going great and we're converging on something special - but rushing to reach a goal before it's truly ready would just be a terrible idea and would setup the product very badly for the future. I think the 'teaser' video for Publisher we released was partly to show that it really was happening, and partly because we're really excited to show it to you! The guys working on the product are doing their job, but it's also something they're passionate about, so they're proud of their work and want you to enjoy it. The alternative was for us to have never said anything about Publisher at all but then customers would just wonder what we were doing that was meaning we weren't updating Photo/Designer very often recently and then would get frustrated. Hang in there - it's on its way and it's going to be good! :) 

There's nothing you could have done. No matter what you've done, there's always people moaning.

23 hours ago, Zbigg said:

Matt, you are clear about that. However:

1. Time. How long still and why so long ?

2. Perfection. You can elaborate the project to the end of the time. Every project. In the meantime somebody invents a biolink and computers become useless or sth similar-jokin but that the way it is.

3. The time is NOW, lots of people switched to AF because they saw you could offer promising, effective tools at affordable price and you ensure good customer-provider relations and development/support relations. This wil not last forever though.

If it be NOW: what would be the stage of WORKING features of AFP?

It won't be perfect at all at the first launch because it won't incorporate all the features people want now...

I am more then happy if it does all the basics very well.

14 hours ago, αℓƒяє∂ said:

Just as an FYI, dominik, the word ‘spelt’ is commonly used in British English. (Not so much in American English, where I believe ‘spelt’ is more likely to refer to an ancient kind of wheat.)

Thank you Alfred. I really get sometimes lost with the peculiarities between British and American English. I learned British English at school but aquired most of my knowledge in the US american context (I started out listening to American Forces Network radio). Please bear with me if I am mixing things up wildly ;)

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

21 minutes ago, dominik said:

Thank you Alfred. I really get sometimes lost with the peculiarities between British and American English. I learned British English at school but aquired most of my knowledge in the US american context (I started out listening to American Forces Network radio). Please bear with me if I am mixing things up wildly ;)

d.

Not to worry, dominik. Your mixed English is vastly better than my rudimentary German! xD

Alfred spacer.png

2 hours ago, Tourmaline said:

You crack me up....

Sums up nicely some posts in this thread.

LOL grin 2.gif

Affinity Designer 2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212 Affinity Photo 2.2.2075  beta 2.3.1.2212Affinity Publisher  2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212

Windows 11 Pro Version    22H2
OS build    22621.1928
Processor    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700 CPU @ 2.90GHz   2.90 GHz
Installed RAM    16.0 GB (15.7 GB usable)
System type    64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

yoda.png

1 hour ago, αℓƒяє∂ said:

Not to worry, dominik. Your mixed English is vastly better than my rudimentary German! xD

Yes Alfred can help with his version and when you get to Yall, Yalls, Yalls' and Yallses I may be of assistance

Affinity Designer 2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212 Affinity Photo 2.2.2075  beta 2.3.1.2212Affinity Publisher  2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212

OS build    22621.1928

yoda.png

5 hours ago, Rick G said:

Yes Alfred can help with his version and when you get to Yall, Yalls, Yalls' and Yallses I may be of assistance

Thank you @Rick G,

I had (and learned) my share of Y'alls during some time in NYC. But I have never been to the deep south and appreciate your offer very much :)
But I am getting very off topic here :$

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

• Staff

@Scott Hunter

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums. Whilst I agree, I think that patient requests for more info, release dates or at the very least another sneak preview before the impending beta are completely understandable.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

57 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

@Scott Hunter

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums. Whilst I agree, I think that patient requests for more info, release dates or at the very least another sneak preview before the impending beta are completely understandable.

What about impatient requests, Patrick? :P

Alfred spacer.png

• Staff

What about impatient requests, Patrick?

No such thing now, considering the age of this thread, we have expected people to wait and wait and very few have left in disgust. Any requests for info now could only fairly be described as patient. :)

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

1 hour ago, Patrick Connor said:

No such thing now, considering the age of this thread, we have expected people to wait and wait and very few have left in disgust. Any requests for info now could only fairly be described as patient. :)

I saw at least one stomp off in "disgust" You announce "Summer of 2018" did you not? This being July, stomping shoes are not ye appropriate. 

Actually you have until September 23 rd at 1:54 UTC time before anyone needs to dust off the torches and pitchforks

You may add this to your calendar

https://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180923T0154&p0=1323&msg=Publisher+Released+...+or+else&ud=1&font=cursive

OS build    22621.1928

yoda.png

45 minutes ago, Jens Krebs said:

Sometimes, stomping off dramatically can be quite fun and satisfying -- as can be sneaking back in loafers later and enjoying the fuss that was made. 

You have poignantly stated a truth. We often attach the label "Troll" to that kind of behavior or at least childish, although we can all get a bit pissed off at times for varying reasons.

I kind of roll my eyes at the stomping off in here. They told us Summer of this year so really no valid crying until the Equinox in September 

OS build    22621.1928

yoda.png

I'd rather have a Beta later in september and spent those sunny days lazying and sunbathing — at least a few minutes before I find it too hot and go reading or doing something other in a cooler place — than playing around on my computer testing APublisher! :P