You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Publisher - Sneak Preview

TonyB

13 minutes ago, Zbigg said:

Why should software development be ruled by some other rules than these applying to project development at all?

I dont get it. If a project does not meet its goals at the time and/or scope and/or quality - something's wrong with management of that project, dont you think?

But that's not the only possibility.

14 minutes ago, Zbigg said:

What do you mean by 'unpredictable'? Does the project rely on  public funding, gov's contracts, weather?

Many big companies have had problemas with the delay of a product launch. Take Windows Vista as an example. Just to know, have you ever coded anything?

14 minutes ago, Zbigg said:

No, I am not gonna insult or depreciate anybody, I expect -as present user for some your products and potential user of the other ones - to be treated SERIOUSLY. 

And I believe you are being treated seriously.

Best regards!

Just now, Mithferion said:

But that's not the only possibility.

Many big companies have had problemas with the delay of a product launch. Take Windows Vista as an example. Just to know, have you ever coded anything?

And I believe you are being treated seriously.

Best regards!

Ok, let resume that play and stay we are all believers. ))

cheers,

AF Photo+Designer+Publisher and their betas on Win10 x64/Gtx760+AmdFX+24GB RAM

I can understand the frustration. Personally I avoid subscription software and I've been using Adobe CS5 since 2010. Only hitch is keeping my MacBook Pro at Yosemite in order to have full functionality. Affinity Designer and Photo work beautifully on that so I've only had to rely on InDesign CS5. While waiting for Publisher I decided to give QuarkXpress a try and I've been using the 2017 version on the MacBook as well. I have a 2017 iMac and I run QuarkXpress 2018 and Affinity Designer and Photo on that. No Adobe products and it's blissful. You could say I've been waiting for Publisher for almost 6-7 years. The only reason I haven't upgraded my MacBook Pro is in case I need to convert an InDesign file. Publisher will be a great addition to the software arsenal without subscriptions. If you peruse the Adobe forums you'll see the defense of the Adobe universe argument being that in order to share work. . .  I can understand that but my work doesn't involve that sort of collaboration. I achieve everything through PDF output, whether for proofing or print.

If you can't wait or are tired of the delays, then the choices are fairly simple: Continue with the Adobe Beast, try QuarkXpress or any other page layout alternative. Complaining on a forum about what a company does or doesn't "owe" us in regards to software that is in development seems a bit bizarre. The only thing I see Affinity owing me in regards to Publisher is the actual software once I've paid for it. As a product, it doesn't exist yet. You can storm the walls of the castle all you want and shout at the top of your lungs, but it won't hasten anything. If it's not in your pocket you don't have it. If Publisher is shaping up to be as great as Photo and Designer, the wait is worth it. 

Just my opinion and I mean absolutely no disrespect to anyone here. I've felt that frustration as well, at many companies for various reasons, especially those that kill off software for no reason.

2 minutes ago, dannyg9 said:

I can understand the frustration. Personally I avoid subscription software and I've been using Adobe CS5 since 2010. Only hitch is keeping my MacBook Pro at Yosemite in order to have full functionality. Affinity Designer and Photo work beautifully on that so I've only had to rely on InDesign CS5. While waiting for Publisher I decided to give QuarkXpress a try and I've been using the 2017 version on the MacBook as well. I have a 2017 iMac and I run QuarkXpress 2018 and Affinity Designer and Photo on that. No Adobe products and it's blissful. You could say I've been waiting for Publisher for almost 6-7 years. The only reason I haven't upgraded my MacBook Pro is in case I need to convert an InDesign file. Publisher will be a great addition to the software arsenal without subscriptions. If you peruse the Adobe forums you'll see the defense of the Adobe universe argument being that in order to share work. . .  I can understand that but my work doesn't involve that sort of collaboration. I achieve everything through PDF output, whether for proofing or print.

If you can't wait or are tired of the delays, then the choices are fairly simple: Continue with the Adobe Beast, try QuarkXpress or any other page layout alternative. Complaining on a forum about what a company does or doesn't "owe" us in regards to software that is in development seems a bit bizarre. The only thing I see Affinity owing me in regards to Publisher is the actual software once I've paid for it. As a product, it doesn't exist yet. You can storm the walls of the castle all you want and shout at the top of your lungs, but it won't hasten anything. If it's not in your pocket you don't have it. If Publisher is shaping up to be as great as Photo and Designer, the wait is worth it. 

Just my opinion and I mean absolutely no disrespect to anyone here. I've felt that frustration as well, at many companies for various reasons, especially those that kill off software for no reason.

Amen 7.gif

Affinity Designer 2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212 Affinity Photo 2.2.2075  beta 2.3.1.2212Affinity Publisher  2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212

Windows 11 Pro Version    22H2
OS build    22621.1928
Processor    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700 CPU @ 2.90GHz   2.90 GHz
Installed RAM    16.0 GB (15.7 GB usable)
System type    64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

yoda.png

Just now, dannyg9 said:

I can understand the frustration. (.......)

Iam to it. Ive been also on CS5 for some time but on PC side. I would like to know only: do we have any reasonable time schedule or/which is more probable after watching predecessing posts/: theres some undoubtfully great idea for AF DTP but forget about materialising it for now...

Amen...? ;-))

Pax vobiscum ?

cheers,

AF Photo+Designer+Publisher and their betas on Win10 x64/Gtx760+AmdFX+24GB RAM

3 minutes ago, Zbigg said:

Iam to it. Ive been also on CS5 for some time but on PC side. I would like to know only: do we have any reasonable time schedule or/which is more probable after watching predecessing posts/: theres some undoubtfully great idea for AF DTP but forget about materialising it for now...

Amen...? ;-))

I think it is reasonable to expect participation of Tony in this thread--certainly more than the first couple times he did. It's what he said he would do.

At the start of the thread Summer (of 2018) is mentioned as the beginning of the beta...so until September something it could/should materialize. I think that barking at the moon could be held off until such time as it doesn't materialize. And if it does show up before the end of this current summer, then great.

Updates would be good. But if the choice by Serif is to not comply with the demands of the hoards clanging their pitchforks and shovels then so what? It's their choice.

1 minute ago, Zbigg said:

Amen...? ;-))

YES you have a reasonable estimate that was given in the announcement. SOMETIME THIS SUMMER   ...   2018 ... and we have just started July. No amount of crying, pouting, threatening, moaning or cajoling will change that ... and all of those have presented in this forum as expressions of "I want what I want when I want it"

The are going to release it ... drum roll ... when it is READY! and if that means 2019 they will announce it and we will just have to suck it up, (not that I foresee that)

The AMEN is in agreement with the statement that you should keep using what you are using until you actually have publisher in your hands and are satisfied that it will work for you which the first few betas may not

Cheer up and don't lose your peace over it. Let them get the thing finished to where the are ready to unleash it on the world

Affinity Designer 2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212 Affinity Photo 2.2.2075  beta 2.3.1.2212Affinity Publisher  2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212

OS build    22621.1928

yoda.png

5 minutes ago, MikeW said:

I think it is reasonable to expect participation of Tony in this thread--certainly more than the first couple times he did. It's what he said he would do.

At the start of the thread Summer (of 2018) is mentioned as the beginning of the beta...so until September something it could/should materialize. I think that barking at the moon could be held off until such time as it doesn't materialize. And if it does show up before the end of this current summer, then great.

Updates would be good. But if the choice by Serif is to not comply with the demands of the hoards clanging their pitchforks and shovels then so what? It's their choice.

Amen again

OS build    22621.1928

yoda.png

51 minutes ago, MikeW said:

Mike I disagree with this line:

"Updates would be good. But if the choice by Serif is to not comply with the demands of the hoards clanging their pitchforks and shovels then so what? It's their choice."

No one (At least not me) is DEMANDING. All I was saying was a clearer form of communication would have been better. Perhaps Tony should not have even shown that video and not even mention such a product as now he has shot himself in the foot. I personally think Serif underestimated the importance & popularity of Publisher. 

12 minutes ago, Sam Neil said:

Mike I disagree with this line:

"Updates would be good. But if the choice by Serif is to not comply with the demands of the hoards clanging their pitchforks and shovels then so what? It's their choice."

No one (At least not me) is DEMANDING. All I was saying was a clearer form of communication would have been better. Perhaps Tony should not have even shown that video and not even mention such a product as now he has shot himself in the foot. I personally think Serif underestimated the importance & popularity of Publisher. 

Tony posted the video in response to the few people doubting its very existence in a loud and obnoxious manner. I don't think I would have made the same choice.

I do think he should have followed through with answering real questions. 

I wasn't writing in response to what you have written. I could have chosen to quote the person I had in mind but chose not to.

11 minutes ago, Tia Lapis said:

Well the problem is Publisher is not weeks late, but nearly 2 years now...

Yep, it's been delayed since the first announcement. Plans change and when they do what was once said/claimed may not hold true anymore. Serif should have learned their lesson at the first delay. Hopefully all those people hanging on for this beta release have still been able to get work done in the meantime in one of the several options available. If not...

Mike

6 minutes ago, MikeW said:

Tony posted the video in response to the few people doubting its very existence in a loud and obnoxious manner. I don't think I would have made the same choice.

I do think he should have followed through with answering real questions. 

I wasn't writing in response to what you have written. I could have chosen to quote the person I had in mind but chose not to.

Fair point(s) Mike.

edit:   wrong post (was replying to an extremely old post) ...but in general, I see a very serious lack of respect and patience in the complaints of those wanting everything "NOW".

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 and V2.4 Windows 10 and Windows 11. 
Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

giphy.gif

OS build    22621.1928

yoda.png

I learned of Publisher the same day that I signed up for this forum, so I have not been waiting like so many of you. I meant no disrespect or to add negativity to the conversation. I had never considered that there might be an alternative to InDesign—anywhere—so was VERY excited to learn of the possibility. That excitement caused me to want more info and for the program (am I dating myself by calling it that?!) to be ready, like, yesterday. 

Having said that, I would like to just thank MikeP and all at Affinity for their hard work, and will bow out now and let them do their job.

I will be unfollowing this thread; not because I am not interested, but because my phone blew up this morning with over 35 e-mails of new posts. Can't allow myself to be distracted like that. I will check back regularly, though, so may the Affinity developers keep on keepin' on!

[Oh, just found out that I can get a weekly update (among other options) instead of an e-mail for each post. I'll be using that option instead of no longer following the thread. Kewl!]

Mac OS High Sierra (by choice—won't "upgrade" until forced to), MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2018), 2.9 GHz Intel Core i9, 32 GB 2400 MHz DDR4, Radeon Pro 560X 4096 MB, Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB, two 43" 4K TVs for monitors. 

+ a 2008 Mac Desktop and a 2008 MacBook Pro 15", both of which still work great, but are just slow, comparatively.

5 minutes ago, KenzDen said:

I learned of Publisher the same day that I signed up for this forum, so I have not been waiting like so many of you. I meant no disrespect or to add negativity to the conversation. I had never considered that there might be an alternative to InDesign—anywhere—so was VERY excited to learn of the possibility. That excitement caused me to want more info and for the program (am I dating myself by calling it that?!) to be ready, like, yesterday. 

Having said that, I would like to just thank MikeP and all at Affinity for their hard work, and will bow out now and let them do their job.

I will be unfollowing this thread; not because I am not interested, but because my phone blew up this morning with over 35 e-mails of new posts. Can't allow myself to be distracted like that. I will check back regularly, though, so may the Affinity developers keep on keepin' on!

[Oh, just found out that I can get a weekly update (among other options) instead of an e-mail for each post. I'll be using that option instead of no longer following the thread. Kewl!]

There is and always have been alternatives to InDesign, some of which have been around longer.

I don't subscribe to any thread. I get notifications in the symbols at the top of the forum if someone quotes me and I opt to view the threads I have participated in via the link under the Activity button:

capture-001963.png.fab4ec4c6954adf9dc33fcf6e509671e.png

I use that link itself as the one I get here with. That way I can see activity in the threads I care about first, then I simply click on the Activity button to see what other things are going on.

7 hours ago, dominik said:

Edit: correction 'spelt' to 'spelled'

Just as an FYI, dominik, the word ‘spelt’ is commonly used in British English. (Not so much in American English, where I believe ‘spelt’ is more likely to refer to an ancient kind of wheat.)

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

12 minutes ago, αℓƒяє∂ said:

Just as an FYI, dominik, the word ‘spelt’ is commonly used in British English. (Not so much in American English, where I believe ‘spelt’ is more likely to refer to an ancient kind of wheat.)

Good catch Alfred although I haven't heard "spelt" in years

Hung and hanged get tangled get messed up We hung a picture and quite often hung the outlaw but the only popper way to describe the outlaw is "hanged" and I believe that is the only time to use that word. I don't thnk one could ever say they hanged a picture. (Well I am sure it is done )

[\pedantry]

OS build    22621.1928

yoda.png

1 minute ago, αℓƒяє∂ said:

Wow. Neat site. My wife will like that too. As for Grammar ... she is out in the kitchen baking cookies 

OS build    22621.1928

yoda.png