You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Publisher - Sneak Preview

TonyB

18 minutes ago, SrPx said:

not Apple, so, they're less of target

What would William Tell have said?? :P

Anyway, there is a precedent for this kind of thing. Back in the Win 9x days you could buy a DTP application called Greenstreet Publisher. I think it was still available when Win XP arrived on the scene.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

2 hours ago, SrPx said:

Thought of that, too. But thinking it twice.... It is Microsoft Publisher. And Affinity Publisher. The name is different. It might be a hard (and expensive) to win court case -and bad press- , as then, there are so many Whatever Editor (html editor, video editor, etc) , or John Doe Viewer... It mostly describes the function, is a too common word, and is a composite name, not solely Publisher, if I'm right. Also, is Serif, not Apple, so, they're less of target (J/K).

Do not think for a minute that if there was a possible infringement, that the micro$oft lawyers would not be all over it, although I suspect that Affinity Publisher vs just Publisher may be the saving grace. Never believe that anyone is too small for giant corporation to smack down.

I just ran into an instance where a small cat sanctuary was selling kits so you could buy expensive flea treatment, put it in a vial and measure it out for small cats. A lot of rescues do that. Bayer sent them a lawyer's letter about selling the kits and apparently passed the information along to other corporate bullies who sent their own lawyer's letters

Affinity Designer 2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212 Affinity Photo 2.2.2075  beta 2.3.1.2212Affinity Publisher  2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212

Windows 11 Pro Version    22H2
OS build    22621.1928
Processor    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700 CPU @ 2.90GHz   2.90 GHz
Installed RAM    16.0 GB (15.7 GB usable)
System type    64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

yoda.png

Unfortunately Serif has failed to inform the users on the progress of the development, road map and everything else that is related. Showing a 30 second video to proof that it exists does even justify its existence. Publish is no secret so why no regular flow of information and update is beyond me. I agree with Petar as I too check this forum in the hope some new in APUB and it is the same old, same old....

I'm also looking forward to know more about Affinity Publish and try a beta.
Adobe InDesign is one of the best pieces of software from Adobe (Photoshop too... Illustrator is not so good, in my opinion). Although I love using InDesign, from what I know about using Affinity Designer and Affinity Photo, I know I will completely ditch InDesigner in favor of Affinity Publish.
So, please, provide us with more information, please :)

11 hours ago, peterpica said:

Any sign of the new dtp app? Looking for good excuse to dump InDesign. 

download.jpg

images (1).jpg

images (2).jpg

Affinity Designer 2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212 Affinity Photo 2.2.2075  beta 2.3.1.2212Affinity Publisher  2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212

OS build    22621.1928

yoda.png

Does anyone GET it yet? They announced it was coming sometime this summer and after 48 pages of discussion, crying, begging whimpering, threatening ... NOTHING HAS CHANGED.

It is still ... coming out this summer!

If you want a sign and a portent I bet it will come in the form of a new  Affinity Publisher Beta Forum ... but that frankly is just another guess in this dog pile of opinions

So keep your peace grasshopper, the wold will continue

kungfu.jpg

OS build    22621.1928

yoda.png

8 minutes ago, haakoo said:

You forgot one Rick

clipimage.jpg

Oh there were many more 

bowing.gif

LOL pound 1.GIF

OS build    22621.1928

yoda.png

I have a few spare bottles if you guys fretting over this need one.

poisonapub.png

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

22 minutes ago, MikeW said:

8 HOP VARITTIES

Sounds interesting. But “varitties”?? :o

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

49 minutes ago, αℓƒяє∂ said:

Sounds interesting. But “varitties”?? :o

Just for your kind self, Alfred, I left a flaw when I recreated the label!

Maybe I need to revisit my proclivity to turn off spell checking in my design applications...

Edit. Just looked at the original label image I shot with my phone. It too is incorrect. So I copied an incorrect spelling...which simply reminds me that not only should I check my own spelling but that there is a danger in slavishly copying something, even a real commercial something. I would normally take the time to send them an email, but they stopped making that "varitty" a couple years ago.

Anyway, as if Adobe, Autodesk  or the like would inform about every lil step they make in their everyday development...  " 8:00 AM, we are having coffee, not tea, because yesterday we...."  .... " Oh, and yes, we are are revamping all the legacy code which is limiting us since the 90s, to have every little operation to be multi threaded. Started today, should be ready in the afternoon. Or if not this very afternoon, then in 15 years. Be patient!  I know you will. You can't do any other freaking thing... because... there's no one else out there. Mwahaha. "

// Dumb sarcasm.

I remember too many times in the past of those two of one full year of no updates, or only cosmetic updates -way smaller/unimportant than for example, the constant flow of updates here in the AD/AP beta forums- ....

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 and V2.4 Windows 10 and Windows 11. 
Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

On 7/2/2018 at 6:56 PM, dannyg9 said:

If Publisher (can't believe Microsoft isn't questioning the naming) enables me to do what I do with InDesign CS5 (no clouds here), then it will be worth the investment. In the meantime, I use QuarkXpress and it's actually a pleasant relief from the Adobe product line. We should all be flexible in the tools we use as a developer can go belly-up or, like Adobe, just decide to kill a perfectly usable tool and then lock it away in a dungeon to prevent further development rather than sell it off and let the product and it's users flourish. Quark may have been super arrogant at one time, but since coming back to it I've found the company quite pleasant to deal with. And just for the record, I've never had any problems with Affinity programs.

Remember, Microsoft are not the only ones to have used Publisher. There has also been Timeworks Publisher , Greenstreet Publisher, Envision Publisher and Express Publisher DTP programs launched when Microsoft was also using the Publisher moniker.

• Staff

Really sorry about the lack of updates - some of this is down to the fact that there's very little to update you on regarding Affinity Publisher (still looking good, still on track for Beta - to the best of my knowledge at this point) and some of this is down to the fact that Affinity Designer for iPad has been occupying 100% of my time recently as I get it ready for launch. That situation will change. Soon. ;)

So hopefully you'll see more obvious progress over the coming months... :) 

10 minutes ago, Novak said:

@MattP

Any word on Affinity DAM? :D

Oh dear pot stirrer ... xD

I hope they gather a lot of feedback first. I use ACDSEE which did a lot RIGHT but has let a lot go in their attempt to become a photoshop kludge alongh with leaving a lot of things unfixed I hope that when they get to the point where they are going to start that, we can enter likes and dislikes somewhere for consideration

OS build    22621.1928

yoda.png

I look forward to it, Matt!

I'll be transferring a lot of text from Mac's Pages to Publisher. A little stylized upgrade.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

It's kind of baffling how indignant, angry, and impatient some are with this. Personally, I'd rather they take their time and get it right. The iPad Photo launch was pretty bumpy to be honest... so I'm betting they're making sure this thing is fairly rock solid before anyone even gets to play with it. 

I'm cool with that. 

The is issue is getting the priority right. Personally I would find the value of a major product on major platform which make up 1/3 of the collection far more important than shifting the focus on Designer for iPad. Is their user base is so high that it warrants such decision? I am sure Adobe would not have delayed the development of InDesign and say we are focusing on Illustrator for iPad first! To me this madness... But hey I am not the company or the developer...

I'm not indignant, angry, or impatient (well, a little impatient, maybe …)—I'm just REALLY excited, and hoping Publisher comes out in ANY version before August 4th, 2018. Anyone care to hazard a guess as to why? {Hint: In the immortal words sung by Ritchie Havens, "Freedom, FREEDOM"!}

I may have to emulate another poster from pages back (sorry, don't remember your name) who dug out his old, standalone CS6 ID until it does. Only problem is I have about a bagillion ID18 files I'd have to export as idml before I could cancel; and of course, I'll have to go ahead and download/purchase Design and Photo, too.

Anyway, I really appreciate Serif and the development team (assuming Matt_P has some kind of help and isn't having to do it all himself) for giving us what appears to be a viable alternative to MonopAdobeoly.

Mac OS High Sierra (by choice—won't "upgrade" until forced to), MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2018), 2.9 GHz Intel Core i9, 32 GB 2400 MHz DDR4, Radeon Pro 560X 4096 MB, Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB, two 43" 4K TVs for monitors. 

+ a 2008 Mac Desktop and a 2008 MacBook Pro 15", both of which still work great, but are just slow, comparatively.