You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Publisher - Sneak Preview

TonyB

The last time QuarkXPress was a Mac-only application was prior to about 1992. And compared to the competition of the day it was more advanced.

Which is why their market share was about 90% until about the year 2002.

Just now, MikeW said:

The last time QuarkXPress was a Mac-only application was prior to about 1992. And compared to the competition of the day it was more advanced.

Which is why their market share was about 90% until about the year 2002.

And how is market share now /Europe/ ?

cheers,

AF Photo+Designer+Publisher and their betas on Win10 x64/Gtx760+AmdFX+24GB RAM

4 minutes ago, Zbigg said:

And how is market share now /Europe/ ?

Dunno. It's not like Adobe or Quark or Serif or Viva or ??? gives that information publicly.

QuarkXPress has less market share than Adobe InDesign overall but more of the pie compared to the rest of the page layout field combined. QXP's market share is higher outside the USA than within it. So in Europe and parts of the near/far East, QXP has a greater market share compared to its market share within the USA.

It is a difficult business space to compete in. I don't envy Serif's position as regards breaking into any of these 3 spaces (image, vector, layout). While the number of licenses sold for AD & APhoto are likely high, and I see no reason APub would be any different, there's a big difference than license seats to market penetration.

3 hours ago, MikeW said:

I use XDP as my every day driver. Though people do use it for books, a layout application it is not.

Yep, I knew that. I was mainly talking about Xara's products and overall quality.  :) (after Alfred's comment) And mentioned as one (Xara P. & L.) of the not fully featured ones for the task.

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 and V2.4 Windows 10 and Windows 11. 
Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

3 hours ago, Zbigg said:

Scribus is not an option I think, seriously. I thought of Quark at times when it was available for MACs exclusively, suppose its a mature tool now.

What I liked however was clear, logical and effective approach/at least to me/ in AF products I could test so far, therefore having DTP tool from AF would make a complete set to me.

If the process prolongs I would have no option but to switch to another soft.

But if I go for one of these-why should I still consider AFP then ?

Just because, perhaps, you might like it better (is 50 sth bucks, not a purchase you gotta think a lot about, even if having by then some solution for that) , or because the UI and functionality adjusts better to your specific workflows. Who knows. Or, yes, you might discover that Quark is better for your tasks. Or even if happening so, the integration among the suite in terms of the file format, other matters,  pipelines are so good with AP and AD, that you decide to use Apub and solve somehow any feature lack while it grows. One way or the other, you are the winner if you stay with the tool serving better your purposes, being it Quark or APub.  BTW, I agree, Quark was the tool to use for this back in the day. That at least must serve to think they have experience with the professional aspects of publishing, and it did a ton of that type of work, back then. Surely counts for something.

I think though, that developing any application of this complexity takes usually a lot more time to other companies. I don't know why one should expect that Serif would be faster than the software giants. I would understand a complaining tone (not fully, as Serif has the biggest motivation (sells) in releasing it as soon as possible, so, if is not released, there must be very solid reasons for that) a bit better if not released a beta (which I'd still totally understand, been at software developing companies, and cr4p happens, and often is none's fault)  on Winter, but this first beta was promised for the Summer... once again, not at the start, the middle, or the end. That was not specified (as is not that easy to determine). And IMO, you are going to want an at least polished beta...not broken in a bunch of places. Even more, it has been told it is not going to be comparable with InDesign in a lot of time, so, certainly not in this beta. So, why the urge ? If is for a basic use, probably the beta will perfectly do, though (or even their legacy PP).

Edit: About competition in general, in the market. I believe Serif's Affinity has taken a really good spot, with so many unhappy with the subscription, no-options model. Also due to an amazing price difference, unseen for this kind of software complexity. Indeed, in terms of market, I believe it can even boom, if things go in certain way... (AP and AD teams keep polishing the rough corners, etc). The addition of Apub is, IMO, going to help that possible market wave a lot more. No one is speaking of killing the CC, among other things because that suite covers a much wider area, and professional niches (After Effects, Premiere, A. Animate, etc..each owns an entire world of pros and companies workflows) and because too many pipelines in the companies strongly linked to the proprietary formats and to internal in-house code, plugins, etc, on which entire companies depend on, yes or yes. But still, being the second here is so, so huge. The 2D market is way larger than 3D, still today, I saw stats about that, and in terms of business sizes, money moved, the difference was crazy. So, second place here, pretty nice. It can probably get over all of the other alternatives, with most of them that has already happened. All this, IMO, is worth some wait. Is only my opinion.

Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

Affinity Designer is a product different from Adobe Illustrator, has many advantages and some flaws.

Among the advantages there is certainly to have a good system for drawing by hand ... it is my habit to draw logotypes by hand, create complex packaging and then rebuild them all in vector. Likewise, joining elements or textures in pixels with vector elements is much more intuitive and close to illustration than Illustrator (pun intended). Now I do all this easily with a single software.

There are many subtleties in the use of vectors and others in the user interface that satisfy me a lot.

Obviously there are tools that must mature and others that have yet to be born.

For publishers I want to be surprised, I do not expect a cheap clone, I expect some surprises, something I have not thought about yet. There are so many software out there, Serif must surprise us !!

Basically I agree w SrPx, otherwise I would not be here and waiting. All main reasons have been pointed out. Howgh.

If I might add however sth to that thread: just because present apps AFPh and AFD look and work so promising - AFP would make a full house.

/just discovered newest AFD beta cooperates smoothlessly with PS CS5 with copy&paste intelligent objects )) - love it, thank you AF team./

cheers,

AF Photo+Designer+Publisher and their betas on Win10 x64/Gtx760+AmdFX+24GB RAM

58 minutes ago, cyberhusky said:

Will Affinity Publisher support MathType mathematical symbols and equations? Import / export directly from within AP not via EPS import? 

AD doesn't presently handle MT eps files well. For MT to work within AD or APub, it would take cooperation between MT & Serif.

What other means would there be?

Hi,

is it possible you can inform us by percentage about the progress of Publisher? Is it 70%, 80% ready or so?

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

1 hour ago, Petar Petrenko said:

Hi,

is it possible you can inform us by percentage about the progress of Publisher? Is it 70%, 80% ready or so?

How would that be any more useful than Windows telling us that an update is 9% complete after twenty minutes, 91% complete after an hour, and still not 100% complete another hour after that? :/

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

15 minutes ago, αℓƒяє∂ said:

How would that be any more useful than Windows telling us that an update is 9% complete after twenty minutes, 91% complete after an hour, and still not 100% complete another hour after that? :/

Is there any time of the day when you are optimistic, with positive attitude, cheerful... :)
BTW, I'm asking Affinity team (not Windows) to inform us on this forum about the progress.

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

1 minute ago, MikeW said:

90% of the work goes into the last 10% of features. Well, not that disparate but not horribly off the mark.

It'll be this summer. Probably. Maybe ;^-)

Well, I've asked this because all of us want Publisher to come out ASAP. I think this way everyone can stay calm if they are informed that it is about 80%/90% done.

2 minutes ago, Petar Petrenko said:

Well, I've asked this because all of us want Publisher to come out ASAP. I think this way everyone can stay calm if they are informed that it is about 80%/90% done.

I figured as much, Petar.

I would be pretty surprised if they answered. Shocked, actually.

Not all of us care too much about the timing. I don't really care. I just want to see a good stable-as-possible product. If that's this summer, year or the next year, it doesn't affect me. What would affect me is buying into it once released and having to fight the application to get the output I need and to do so with a decent work-flow.

1 minute ago, MikeW said:

I figured as much, Petar.

I would be pretty surprised if they answered. Shocked, actually.

Not all of us care too much about the timing. I don't really care. I just want to see a good stable-as-possible product. If that's this summer, year or the next year, it doesn't affect me. What would affect me is buying into it once released and having to fight the application to get the output I need and to do so with a decent work-flow.

I agree with you, but if they give us some information every few weeks or every month, we can calculate ETA.

Everyday I start by opening this Forum and trying to find anything new about v. 1.7 and Publisher and even new Betas. I do this about 3-4 times every day. :(

If development is anything like art (and the little coding I've done leads me to think it is, in some way) the latest 1% of polishing can be outstandingly intense. I subscribe MikeW's post.

Some of us simply want to know. Even if the news are not that good, being in a stated of not knowing causes more anxiety. Now, even if we know that there is only one bug preventig the Dev Team from releasing the Public Beta, said Bug could be worth a thousand of regular Bugs in terms of effort required to fix it.

But still optimistic: Before 2019. :D

Best regards!

8 minutes ago, Petar Petrenko said:

Everyday I start by opening this Forum and trying to find anything new about v. 1.7 and Publisher and even new Betas. I do this about 3-4 times every day. :(

Don’t waste your time and mental/emotional energy, Petar! I’m sure the public beta will be released with a fanfare which is much too big to miss.

Alfred spacer.png

1 minute ago, αℓƒяє∂ said:

Don’t waste your time and mental/emotional energy, Petar! I’m sure the public beta will be released with a fanfare which is much too big to miss.

Well, there is people who miss some news.

Best regards!

5 minutes ago, Mithferion said:

Well, there is people who miss some news.

Best regards!

I think most of those will be people who weren’t particularly expecting any news. The vast majority of users who are eagerly awaiting an announcement are unlikely to miss it when it comes.

Alfred spacer.png

If Publisher (can't believe Microsoft isn't questioning the naming) enables me to do what I do with InDesign CS5 (no clouds here), then it will be worth the investment. In the meantime, I use QuarkXpress and it's actually a pleasant relief from the Adobe product line. We should all be flexible in the tools we use as a developer can go belly-up or, like Adobe, just decide to kill a perfectly usable tool and then lock it away in a dungeon to prevent further development rather than sell it off and let the product and it's users flourish. Quark may have been super arrogant at one time, but since coming back to it I've found the company quite pleasant to deal with. And just for the record, I've never had any problems with Affinity programs.

9 minutes ago, αℓƒяє∂ said:

I think most of those will be people who weren’t particularly expecting any news. The vast majority of users who are eagerly awaiting an announcement are unlikely to miss it when it comes.

That seems to be the case.

Best regards!

28 minutes ago, dannyg9 said:

If Publisher (can't believe Microsoft isn't questioning the naming) 

Thought of that, too. But thinking it twice.... It is Microsoft Publisher. And Affinity Publisher. The name is different. It might be a hard (and expensive) to win court case -and bad press- , as then, there are so many Whatever Editor (html editor, video editor, etc) , or John Doe Viewer... It mostly describes the function, is a too common word, and is a composite name, not solely Publisher, if I'm right. Also, is Serif, not Apple, so, they're less of target (J/K).