You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Publisher - Sneak Preview

TonyB

On 6/24/2018 at 11:41 AM, Michail said:

Why do people always want to do everything on the go? Isn't it enough that they already eat and drink on the way?

This is a noteworthy comment on the modern culture. It also inspired a lot of discussion on the forum.

21 hours ago, Tia Lapis said:

My iPad Pro has replaced a old MBP. I consider it my mobile computer, so it would be nice to use it for such work, too.

Tablet usage will become the normal computing experience in the future, with a few professional areas staying on expensive desktop workstations.

So you atleast would use the APub for iPad. Me, myself and I personally like the traditional computer much more. And I also hate touch screens, because they're so difficult for me and hazardously difficult for my sister. So perhaps the old-school computers and tablet computers can coexist without the other one having to die for the other one to live.

I'd love to have a counter somewhere with the amount of issues to solve (or perhaps rather the features to add) before serif can launch the Affinity Publisher beta. Not that they'd have to. It's just such fun to follow a counter going steadily or not-so-steadily towards "zero! Here's your long awaited beta!"

Greetings
Lassi P

5 hours ago, Alkon said:

Hello!!!!

I love Affinity Products :D but i have a question.

-Can I Try The Affinity Publisher Beta?

I would like to try this product, to know whether to buy the Designer or wait for me at the Publisgher. Forgive my misspellings, I use a translator xD

Regards!!!! :D

Hello @Alkon,

wellcome to the forum.

Affinity Publisher Beta is currently not released yet. Noone outside Serif can test it at the moment.

APub is announced for beta testing within the next months so you should not have to wait too long until you can try it :)

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

4 hours ago, LassiP said:

This is a noteworthy comment on the modern culture. It also inspired a lot of discussion on the forum.

Not nearly as in-depth as it could be, though. But I don’t want to take this thread completely off-topic.

34 minutes ago, VIPStephan said:

Not nearly as in-depth as it could be, though. But I don’t want to take this thread completely off-topic.

Where is your thread where we can read more details, please? ;)

17 minutes ago, denisined said:

:61_sob:month:58_disappointed_relieved:

It’s only plural because it might be two or three months! It shouldn’t be more than that.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

3 minutes ago, denisined said:

or 11 or 12 [months]...

No, we’ve been told to expect it this summer (2018).

i cant wait anymore....

In that case, find something else. The first public beta release may well not be suitable for much serious work.

Alfred spacer.png

33 minutes ago, αℓƒяє∂ said:

It’s only plural because it might be two or three months! It shouldn’t be more than that.

21 minutes ago, αℓƒяє∂ said:

No, we’ve been told to expect it this summer (2018).

The first public beta release may well not be suitable for much serious work.

After waiting (im)patiently for many, many months, saying now't and still putting my trust in Serif, I'm afraid the cynic in me has got the better of me.

"Shouldn't be more than that" (on past broken 'promises') doesn't mean "won't be more than that. How many time already have we been told to expect it because I've lost count?

If it "may not be suitable for much serious work" what have we been kept waiting for for so long? Haven't the (hard working, and I mean that) guys at Serif been spending all this time ensuring that a virtually fully functioning product (even in beta) is released?

3 minutes ago, PeanutsA said:

Haven't the (hard working, and I mean that) guys at Serif been spending all this time ensuring that a virtually fully functioning product (even in beta) is released?

Beta releases are usually ‘feature complete’, or very nearly so, but that doesn’t necessarily mean they are fully functioning!

Alfred spacer.png

2 minutes ago, αℓƒяє∂ said:

Beta releases are usually ‘feature complete’, or very nearly so, but that doesn’t necessarily mean they are fully functioning!

Good morning alfred (no way am I going to attempt that signature) - that was quick ! Too hot for you, like it is for me, to be doing anything else?

Having for many years had to be careful (usually) with my choice of words I did say "virtually", in its meaning of "almost".

1 hour ago, Arun Sarkar said:

Ouch!

1 hour ago, PeanutsA said:

Good morning alfred (no way am I going to attempt that signature)

LOL.

Alfred spacer.png

what have we been kept waiting for for so long?

These applications have taken much longer to get the needed maturity for other firms.... Months for even a proof of concept beta is pretty fast, indeed.

IMO, they are building a solid foundation. And surely, it'd be functional for certain basic uses, not an ID killer at release time.

Anyway, this has been warned not now, but I believe since very early (the non full featured aspect of it)

Too hot for you, like it is for me, to be doing anything else?

In Sheffield? is 18º C now there... much more than I'd expect to be a usual British night... 24 here, but this is a very strange summer here, feels like Spring, and some days like late Winter...lol....

I'd expect at 23:00 more typically 30º or 28º at least... and 40º - 42º (107 F ?)  in the afternoon... (yay, Spain)

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 and V2.4 Windows 10 and Windows 11. 
Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

Just a thought, and forgive me if it's already been mentioned, but with the Beta release of Mac OS Mojave, might that delay the release of Publisher? Maybe towards the end of Summer? It would make sense as Mojave is being released in the Fall and that would be playing a bit of "catch up" if Publisher didn't work on it. My two-cents conjecturing.

Hello,

Hows the progress with AFP ?

For now it seems rather vanishing point...;-),

Guys-seriously: market can be patient but you may loose the entry impact effect if you plan to issue a perfect product at once,

in some non-specified future ??

cheers,

AF Photo+Designer+Publisher and their betas on Win10 x64/Gtx760+AmdFX+24GB RAM

2 hours ago, Zbigg said:

Hello,

Hows the progress with AFP ?

For now it seems rather vanishing point...;-),

Guys-seriously: market can be patient but you may loose the entry impact effect if you plan to issue a perfect product at once,

in some non-specified future ??

This has been rediscussed ad nauseam. The announced it will be out sometime this summer. That is the summer of 2018 If you read the early announcements you can find it there ... in this thread

And if they feel the need to postpone it until the summer of 2019, we will all suck it up, act like adults and deal with it

Unless someone has another option like marching on Nottingham with tar and feathers ...:D

tar and feather 1.jpg

Affinity Designer 2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212 Affinity Photo 2.2.2075  beta 2.3.1.2212Affinity Publisher  2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212

Windows 11 Pro Version    22H2
OS build    22621.1928
Processor    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700 CPU @ 2.90GHz   2.90 GHz
Installed RAM    16.0 GB (15.7 GB usable)
System type    64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

yoda.png

Quark, Scribus, VivaDesigner, even (for low end projects) PagePlus and Xara Page & Layout (or a combination of several). At least there are options, for the meantime, I believe.

Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

16 minutes ago, SrPx said:

even (for low end projects) PagePlus and Xara Page & Layout

Although PagePlus does have some serious limitations (depending on your workflow) it’s actually quite a capable product. I rather liked Xara Xtreme, but from what I’ve read about Xara Page & Layout I wouldn’t touch it with the proverbial barge pole!

Alfred spacer.png

I trialed intensively Xara Designer Pro and I liked its zero learning curve (personal opinion), capabilities (it lacks certain key pixel/raster features, tho, IMO, compared to PS and AP ) and fast UI. But to be sincere, not so much testing with Xara's Layout, heh, I only knew it was an alternative, tested it a little, did read deeply all the doc in its day, and did seem to have DTP workflows in. At least PDF export, etc. But dunno a word more about it, so, I trust your criteria there... ;) 

2 hours ago, SrPx said:

I trialed intensively Xara Designer Pro ... ;) 

XDP and the application Alfred mentions  (XP&GD) are different applications.

Xara conditionally compiles their applications from a single source, of which XDP is the full source compile. XP&GD is a subset of its features. 

I use XDP as my every day driver. Though people do use it for books, a layout application it is not.

12 hours ago, SrPx said:

Quark, Scribus, VivaDesigner, even (for low end projects) PagePlus and Xara Page & Layout (or a combination of several). At least there are options, for the meantime, I believe.

Sure.

But if I go for one of these-why should I still consider AFP then ?

Scribus is not an option I think, seriously. I thought of Quark at times when it was available for MACs exclusively, suppose its a mature tool now.

What I liked however was clear, logical and effective approach/at least to me/ in AF products I could test so far, therefore having DTP tool from AF would make a complete set to me.

If the process prolongs I would have no option but to switch to another soft.

cheers,

AF Photo+Designer+Publisher and their betas on Win10 x64/Gtx760+AmdFX+24GB RAM