You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Publisher - Sneak Preview

TonyB

2 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

...I am now out of this thread. Good luck getting any more honest answers in here for a while. Fed Up!

It's a pity some people push all the wrong buttons for their own agenda.

While you sit out for a while, Patrick, just remember that the vast majority of your customers, those who participate and those that don't, have no such agenda and likely, like myself, believe in Serif both as a company and as individuals such as yourself. I know I always have.

So thanks to you and the rest of the Serif people.

Mike

Just now, grapher said:

Yepp, +1, im really greatful for first fair competition to adobe subscription.

I have plenty of choices that keep me out of the Adobe subscription scheme. Even so, for some clients I need to rent for a month, rarely two months, while I do their projects. For those whom want me to use ID, most simply care that I use a version of ID so I use my CS6 version. The majority don't care what I use and/or desire QXP files be returned. A few want me to use Viva Designer, so I use that. Once in a blue moon I have used Scribus as that's what I needed to return.

My post, though, had nothing to do with alternatives to Adobe. It had everything to do with the Patrick & Co. that I have "known" since I purchased my first license for PP and the time spent beta testing, participating on the forum that preceded Community Plus for the Plus range and still do somewhat.

I trust and respect the people behind only two companies. Serif is one of those.

1 minute ago, Sam Neil said:

We are an ADOBE FREE studio, We use NITRO PDF and not even Acrobat!!!!! So Affinity is a blessing!!!! 

I use Acrobat XI. I decided not to purchase a perpetual license version of Acrobat DC, but I did purchase a license of pdfToolbox from callas. They are the ones who license the code and routines to Adobe for the preflight stuff in Acrobat.

I cannot imagine working in print without one or the other.

1 hour ago, MikeW said:

It's a pity some people push all the wrong buttons for their own agenda.

While you sit out for a while, Patrick, just remember that the vast majority of your customers, those who participate and those that don't, have no such agenda and likely, like myself, believe in Serif both as a company and as individuals such as yourself. I know I always have.

+1 I want to ask Patrick not to leave but I get it when your BS meter hits overflow

Affinity Designer 2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212 Affinity Photo 2.2.2075  beta 2.3.1.2212Affinity Publisher  2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212

Windows 11 Pro Version    22H2
OS build    22621.1928
Processor    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700 CPU @ 2.90GHz   2.90 GHz
Installed RAM    16.0 GB (15.7 GB usable)
System type    64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

yoda.png

1 hour ago, Oval said:

Well, Patrick Connor wrote it here: “We are not planning to offer any free products”, which was definitely shocking in that moment. And to conceal such and similar mistakes, texts and announcements are tacitly changed. Called cheat software in Germany. Very popular in automotive industry. ;)

I really am not seeing your point, especially the tone of it. You do not get a free program. If they change their minds and give you one, be thankful. If they don't and you have to pay full boat along with the reat of us

Still, be thankful

If you really find them so dishonest, dump Serif and go with another product where they treat you the way you envision

It is really that simple

Affinity Designer 2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212 Affinity Photo 2.2.2075  beta 2.3.1.2212Affinity Publisher  2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212

OS build    22621.1928

yoda.png

1 hour ago, Sam Neil said:

We are an ADOBE FREE studio, We use NITRO PDF and not even Acrobat!!!!! So Affinity is a blessing!!!! 

At my work we have mostly Nuance and Nitro for PDFs (~400 employees). There are only few Adobe CC subscriptions (we will probably need to keep some as files from external contractors are made in Adobe). When Affinity Publisher (does Serif consider changing the name, please?) is in the final version, there will be possibility to get rid of some CC subscriptions and move people to Affinity products. I wish it will happen, as Photo and Designer are a great piece of software. The big plus is for customer engagement on this forum. :-)

W11, Dell G5, i7, 64GB, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2600, Wacom Intuos Pro M + iPad Pro 2018.
 sakrajda.eu

Adobe won't give me a discount on CC (I don't want it nor would I "subscribe" to any software) even though I have purchased at least 3 cycles of Creative Suite and still sparingly use InDesign CS 5.5. And AuthorAuthor is right. $50 US dollars is cheap. Hell, I'd even pay twice that and I'd still be saving over the Adobe monster.

5 minutes ago, dannyg9 said:

And AuthorAuthor is right. $50 US dollars is cheap. Hell, I'd even pay twice that and I'd still be saving over the Adobe monster.

£49 is only ~12 pints in the pub. Worth it! ;) 

W11, Dell G5, i7, 64GB, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2600, Wacom Intuos Pro M + iPad Pro 2018.
 sakrajda.eu

56 minutes ago, Rick G said:

I really am not seeing your point, especially the tone of it. You do not get a free program.

Sorry, we do not want free programs. We never wrote that we want a free program! But Serif wrote that they will not offer any free products. But they did!

5 minutes ago, Oval said:

Sorry, we do not want free programs. We never wrote that we want a free program! But Serif wrote that they will not offer any free products. But they did!

Even for a pedant like me there were more than enough contextual cues to make Patrick’s meaning clear. 9_9

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

28 minutes ago, αℓƒяє∂ said:

more than enough contextual cues to make Patrick’s meaning clear.

Sorry, not for us. We were shocked of "not planning to offer any free products“ and we could not imagine that this could have any other meaning than that Serif has changed his strategy.* Some of the promotional free products that we have devised were destroyed in one fell swoop.  :-(

*From a software company that claimed to have created the “most precise vector graphic design software”,  we also expect a precise and clear communication. Our fault!

7 minutes ago, Oval said:

Sorry, not for us. We were shocked of "not planning to offer any free products“ and we could not imagine that this could have any other meaning than that Serif has changed his strategy.* Some of the promotional free products that we have devised were destroyed in one fell swoop.  :-(

*From a software company that claimed to have created the “most precise vector graphic design software”,  we also expect a precise and clear communication. Our fault!

What exactly do you want and expect? If they have changed strategy (and I am not conceding that point), so what? You say you don't want free software but that sems to be central to all your complaints

What exactly do you want?

OS build    22621.1928

yoda.png

29 minutes ago, Rick G said:

You say you don't want free software but that sems to be central to all your complaints

Where? When? You seem to confuse us with others. And you confuse “products” with Affinity range products. We never wrote that we want a free Affinity app but promotional stuff like free trials should not be canceled.

15 hours ago, Oval said:

I am not going to keep running to g et quotes for you. You should remember what you said over a 10 minute span ... or am I starting to smell troll farts?

OS build    22621.1928

yoda.png

1 hour ago, dannyg9 said:

Hmmmm. . . If you're right, I've just save $50! I'll join you in the pub!

Why not? I'll pay for ADesigner and you'll pay for APhoto, then we can go testing beta version of APublisher afterwards. 100 quid spent in the pub and all sorted. :-)

sakrajda.eu

1 hour ago, Rick G said:

If they have changed strategy (and I am not conceding that point)

Of course they did not. We only discussed the situation before Patrick Connor corrected his old post because you asked us. Before that it seemed like Serif changed the stategy to give away stuff.

2 hours ago, Oval said:

This thread is about Affinity Publisher. In that context, it was obvious to me that “not planning to offer any free products” was shorthand for “not planning to offer any free Affinity software products”.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

The more specific context was that Patrick was responding to a poster who said APub should be free.

Patrick's post immediately followed that bone headed post. 

If Oval cannot understand that then an ESL course is in order.

12 hours ago, MikeW said:

I use Acrobat XI. I decided not to purchase a perpetual license version of Acrobat DC, but I did purchase a license of pdfToolbox from callas. They are the ones who license the code and routines to Adobe for the preflight stuff in Acrobat.

I cannot imagine working in print without one or the other.

We have managed for years beautifully. As for our relationship with Serif, it goes back for more than 20 years with PP Version 3 !!!! Just finished a book using X9, just gutted that the work cannot be submitted to Affinity as it was made on a legacy product. I find that unfair as in the absence of APub there was not much we could do. Hope Tony & Team reconsider their rules.