You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Publisher - Sneak Preview

TonyB

• Staff

@Gravitass

Welcome to the Serif Affinity Forums.

Sorry that you feel 'stung' by your purchases from our legacy range. We are not planning to offer any of our Affinity range products for free, sorry. We have also decided in the past that when we launch a product it is almost impossible to fairly offer discounts only to legacy customers because of the difficulty making a fair definition of a legacy customer. So instead we launched at a reduced the price for all customers but made a deliberate attempt to notify legacy customers of the discount period.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

19 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

because of the difficulty making a fair definition of a legacy customer

I’m surprised that you found it any more difficult than making a fair distinction between those who qualified for upgrade pricing on PagePlus X9 and those who didn’t. But then, I’m obviously not familiar with the intricacies of your customer database!

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

via PDF.

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

1 hour ago, αℓƒяє∂ said:

I’m surprised that you found it any more difficult than making a fair distinction between those who qualified for upgrade pricing on PagePlus X9 and those who didn’t. But then, I’m obviously not familiar with the intricacies of your customer database!

I'm not Patrick even on TV...

I would think the issue of fair & legacy customer has more to do with where is a cut-off point for being a legacy customer? Simply owning a version of a legacy product isn't a good definition per se. Is it one who has purchased the last 3 versions of PP? Or even three non-consecutive versions? Two versions? Certainly not just PPX9 as it is still being sold. A discount cannot simply be due to owning PPX9.

No matter how the definition is sliced & diced, some/many will feel cheated by whatever definition is involved.

There likely will be an introductory price for APub. Even at a full $50 it is not really more than a PP upgrade would have been.

I understand the psychology of the perceived value of discounts and loyalty rewards. I also understand the reality of the current pricing model for Affinity products.

• Staff

Is this pedants corner today? sigh

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

At the risk of being screamed at, we're talking about $50 U.S. for a new registration? Um, isn't that chicken feed to actually own, and not cloud-rent, a capable DTP program? Seriously, competitively speaking, what place does this put APub in?

I think my bottle returns are worth $50 this week; "chump change" is not worth sweating anything over.

My 2¢, devalued and cost-adjusted for Today's World™,

g

new-AD-slug.png.458b94d5dc178383711ce27afd725aae.png

37 minutes ago, MikeW said:

A discount cannot simply be due to owning PPX9.

When it was first launched, and right up until it became a ‘legacy’ product and its price was slashed accordingly, a discount on PPX9 was obtainable simply by owning (a registered copy of) either PPX8 or the latest version of any other ‘flagship’ product. It was originally announced that registered owners of DrawPlus X8 would qualify for a discount on Affinity Designer, and registered owners of PhotoPlus X8 would qualify for a discount on Affinity Photo.

Alfred spacer.png

13 minutes ago, Oval said:

So no free plug-in for Quick Look, no free trials, no free only-printing app for print shops, … to push the affinity file format.  :-(  :-(  :-(

Who said that? Where are you getting it.? They have always put up free stuff to promote their products; the grade-ui pack for designer and the epic skies offering for Photo

We are not going to get the program for free. Initial discount? It would be welcomed but I don't know if that has been determined. Free trial? Perhaps when theey feel it is ready for prime time. Plugins? Templates? Those are all wait and see items

6 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

Is this pedants corner today? sigh

Patrick .. do you sometimes question yourself as to why you ever opened this thread? 

freaked-out-smiley-emoticon.gif

LOL pound 1.GIF

Affinity Designer 2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212 Affinity Photo 2.2.2075  beta 2.3.1.2212Affinity Publisher  2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212

Windows 11 Pro Version    22H2
OS build    22621.1928
Processor    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700 CPU @ 2.90GHz   2.90 GHz
Installed RAM    16.0 GB (15.7 GB usable)
System type    64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

yoda.png

3 minutes ago, αℓƒяє∂ said:

When it was first launched, and right up until it became a ‘legacy’ product and its price was slashed accordingly, a discount on PPX9 was obtainable simply by owning (a registered copy of) either PPX8 or the latest version of any other ‘flagship’ product. It was originally announced that registered owners of DrawPlus X8 would qualify for a discount on Affinity Designer, and registered owners of PhotoPlus X8 would qualify for a discount on Affinity Photo.

I never got the offer. However I found that life went on, the sun came up and the birds kept singing ...

Affinity Designer 2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212 Affinity Photo 2.2.2075  beta 2.3.1.2212Affinity Publisher  2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212

OS build    22621.1928

yoda.png

17 minutes ago, AuthorAuthor said:

At the risk of being screamed at, we're talking about $50 U.S. for a new registration? Um, isn't that chicken feed to actually own, and not cloud-rent, a capable DTP program? Seriously, competitively speaking, what place does this put APub in?

I think my bottle returns are worth $50 this week; "chump change" is not worth sweating anything over.

My 2¢, devalued and cost-adjusted for Today's World™,

You won't get screamed at I hope but some people have t think about spending the money as it is not "chump change" nor "chicken feed" for them

OS build    22621.1928

yoda.png

5 minutes ago, αℓƒяє∂ said:

Yes, I know that.

And it didn't happen. And it's not gonna happen.

As regards PPX9, there are still people purchasing it. Should they get a discount on APub, or the same level of discount, that you should? You've owned how many versions of PP? I began with PPX5, so a relative late owner versus yourself.

Could Serif parse out PP customers according to version or date? Sure they could. But like I wrote above, whatever the cut-off, it will leave some screaming an injustice has been done. Better just to eat their words/promise of a discount on a $50 product that will have an introductory price than to create a scheme that will still piss people off.

1 minute ago, MikeW said:

Could Serif parse out PP customers according to version or date? Sure they could. But like I wrote above, whatever the cut-off, it will leave some screaming an injustice has been done. Better just to eat their words/promise of a discount on a $50 product that will have an introductory price than to create a scheme that will still piss people off.

I don’t disagree, Mike! I just think it was perhaps a little unwise of Serif to promise that DPX8 owners would get preferential treatment when purchasing AD if they couldn’t or wouldn’t follow through.

Alfred spacer.png

Just now, αℓƒяє∂ said:

I don’t disagree, Mike! I just think it was perhaps a little unwise of Serif to promise that DPX8 owners would get preferential treatment when purchasing AD if they couldn’t or wouldn’t follow through.

Other software I own have treatment,
Its no matter when I have bought the software, if I own it I got a discount.
Some other companies offer upgrade discount if I own a similar software from another company and buy the new software.

But, 50$ is cheap if the Affinity Publisher can do what PagePlus can.

-Per

2 minutes ago, αℓƒяє∂ said:

I'm sure Serif regrets making those statements. 

What was the introductory price? $39 or some such amount? Whatever it was, I think the only real thing they could have done, or still do, would be to issue a one-time code to maintain that discount for future purchase. 

That's easy to do on the backends of the cart software I have configured. Dunno about theirs. 

Shall we scream at creators, that people who buyed AD and AP together have to get a discount? or people that bought all the products from beginning? Omg. For ~50USD product?
Price of these fine products (counting in AD and AP) are so low, that any graphic designer can make money on it in few hours. So why so much flame?

Just shut up and take my money! Hope it will be soon ready for try/buy :)

38 minutes ago, Rick G said:

You won't get screamed at I hope but some people have t think about spending the money as it is not "chump change" nor "chicken feed" for them

Oh, absolutely! That was "creative hyperbole" (for those can't say "exaggerate). I use inventive non-rational accounting to cover my software expenses. Software X is less than a set of snow tires, Software Y is 4 gallons of Haagen-Daz, and so on.

new-AD-slug.png.458b94d5dc178383711ce27afd725aae.png

2 minutes ago, AuthorAuthor said:

Oh, absolutely! That was "creative hyperbole" (for those can't say "exaggerate). I use inventive non-rational accounting to cover my software expenses. Software X is less than a set of snow tires, Software Y is 4 gallons of Haagen-Daz, and so on.

LOL 4 galons of Haagen Daz - definitelly sweetest post of the day!

44 minutes ago, MikeW said:

As regards PPX9, there are still people purchasing it. Should they get a discount on APub, or the same level of discount, that you should? You've owned how many versions of PP? I began with PPX5, so a relative late owner versus yourself.

I know, I just bought it few days ago. :) I simply can't afford Adobe subscription anymore and PPX9, even being old, is doing a great job for what I need. I'm so looking forward for a new APublisher. I only need Photo, Designer and Publisher - then I'm all set.

W11, Dell G5, i7, 64GB, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2600, Wacom Intuos Pro M + iPad Pro 2018.
 sakrajda.eu

1 hour ago, Rick G said:

Who said that? Where are you getting it.?

Well, Patrick Connor wrote it here: “We are not planning to offer any free products”, which was definitely shocking in that moment. And to conceal such and similar mistakes, texts and announcements are tacitly changed. Called cheat software in Germany. Very popular in automotive industry. ;)

HTH

• Staff
18 minutes ago, Oval said:

And to conceal such and similar mistakes, texts and announcements are tacitly changed

Are you joking? I edited my post because of your pedantic remark (and after Rick G had asked you where you got it) ! I misspoke in terms of every software, you decided to read into it something that was not there. I changed a few words to now say

We are not planning to offer any of our Affinity range products for free, sorry

I have left your quote of mine alone, as that is what I said  previously, but you chose to misunderstand and question it. I can see that it could be misinterpreted and so I corrected it. With a thread this long you do not expect everyone to read every post and I thought I would avoid any more quotes of what I said leading to comments on something irrelevant to Publisher, apparently not.

I am now out of this thread. Good luck getting any more honest answers in here for a while. Fed Up!

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd