You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Publisher - Sneak Preview

TonyB

16 hours ago, abra100pro said:

Dear Jan, it would mean that AP is taking over all the sh*t that you exactly want to avoid by leaving InDesign (ID).

I made the switch from Illustrator to AD and I haven't had any regrets. I know, AD reads AI-Files, but not when they're native, only when they have PDF-compatibility. I doubt that taking over such a complex format as ID's would work fine. So instead of making it badly, I suggest not to make it at all.

abra100Pro,

I'm hoping what Jan meant is that, like, QuarkXpress, it would be great if APub were able to import an IDML file. I'm sure many here do not want to face the prospect of rebuilding every file from the ground up. Perhaps Markzware will have a converter available. Maybe not the first version but soon thereafter.

10 minutes ago, dannyg9 said:

...Perhaps Markzware will have a converter available. Maybe not the first version but soon thereafter.

I seriously doubt they will. There are currently no hooks into Affinity applications...no plug-in nor scripting support. Even if Serif provides plug-in support for third-parties at some point in the future, Markzware would likely use the subscription model.

Currently, the only real advice I have is to package your work, include the idml and pdf for each job. This can be scripted in ID and so can run unattended. The PDF route maybe the only means of getting current/past work from ID to APub. That is, unless APub obtains an IDML import.

Once what is needed is packaged as per the above, just do your new work in APub that can actually be accomplished in it. For myself I don't think APub will be able to do all of what I do in Q & ID and could be years away from that. I'll try to squeeze in APub work for those things I can create in it, but I'll still need to use both Q (by client choice and personal choice) and ID (mostly only by client choice) if for no other reasons than for their capabilities versus APub 1.xx to X.xx

On 6/5/2018 at 3:07 PM, αℓƒяє∂ said:

A bit of hyperbole there, methinks! PageMaker was only introduced in 1985, so even the mighty Adobe would have found it a bit difficult to kill it off 400 years earlier. :P

I love how specific you always are, Alfred.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

Guilty as charged, Constable. I will print a retraction. In 12 pt. Stempel Garamond—the only true version of the Claude Garamont renderings of the Eighteenth Century, September 15th, 14:00 Eastern Standard Military Time.

Full justification, dead leading, verso pages only.

Happy?

ViewMaster.gif

new-AD-slug.png.458b94d5dc178383711ce27afd725aae.png

1 hour ago, AuthorAuthor said:

Guilty as charged, Constable. I will print a retraction. In 12 pt. Stempel Garamond—the only true version of the Claude Garamont renderings of the Eighteenth Century, September 15th, 14:00 Eastern Standard Military Time.

Full justification, dead leading, verso pages only.

With or without hyphenation? ;^)

19 hours ago, MikeW said:

With or without hyphenation? ;^)

But of course! devil2.gif

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

"Affinity Publisher will be available as a Public Beta this Summer."

OK, so today is 8th June, we are already a good way through summer so when, i.e. the date, by which we can look forward to this alleged beta release.  Frankly, the delays we have already endured are unforgivable.  Serif should have got one platform complete BEFORE including others like Windows or iPad versions.  If AP is not "up to the mark", I for one will look elsewhere, and this from someone who started with PP3!

6 minutes ago, Yogi9409 said:

"Affinity Publisher will be available as a Public Beta this Summer."

OK, so today is 8th June, we are already a good way through summer so when, i.e. the date, by which we can look forward to this alleged beta release.  Frankly, the delays we have already endured are unforgivable.  Serif should have got one platform complete BEFORE including others like Windows or iPad versions.  If AP is not "up to the mark", I for one will look elsewhere, and this from someone who started with PP3!

Actually, it's not even Summer yet. Summer doesn't officially even start until June 21st. Jus' sayin' :) 

Just now, skiphunt said:

Actually, it's not even Summer yet. Summer doesn't officially even start until June 21st. Jus' sayin' :)

Astronomical summer doesn’t begin until the summer solstice in many countries, but even meteorological summer in the northern hemisphere only began a week ago. So we’re hardly “a good way through summer”. Jus’ sayin’. :)

Alfred spacer.png

8 minutes ago, αℓƒяє∂ said:

Astronomical summer doesn’t begin until the summer solstice in many countries, but even meteorological summer in the northern hemisphere only began a week ago. So we’re hardly “a good way through summer”. Jus’ sayin’. :)

Perhaps Summer begins much earlier in Angrytown? lol ;) 

I check this discussion every month and now the date for the beta is END 2018

A question to all those who are in a hurry to try the beta. Do you all have important professional jobs that need to be done with Publisher? :)

I have the ADOBE license and indesign is still able  to helps me to finih all my works before december; in the 2019 Affiniry Publisher wll be my new tool for my job, not before,  because unfortunately I use the programs to work, to support my family and not to waste time and have fun.

Of course, I envy all those who can do it  :(

An "official" update by affinity would be welcome.

thank you!!!

8 minutes ago, Michelangelo_ said:

I check this discussion every month and now the date for the beta is END 2018

Where did you read that? :o

Alfred spacer.png

6 hours ago, αℓƒяє∂ said:

Where did you read that?

Perhaps on earth? ;)

We already had “We hope to have Affinity Publisher in beta by the end of 2017. We'll keep everyone updated with its progress. 01:13 - 17. Juni 2017”.

If we get the beta in this summer, it is very likely that the beta will also exist in late 2018.

8 hours ago, αℓƒяє∂ said:

Where did you read that? :o

Perhaps @Michelangelo_ is referring to @Mithferion's post just above:

And that's why I am expecting it "before 2019". :D

But I read that as an ironic comment ;)

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

I've been hoping Affinity Publisher will save me from having to subscribe to Adobe Indesign (I'm still running a purchased copy of Indesign CS6 on MacOS High Sierra).

But I just read that the next MacOS, due in the autumn,  will drop support for 32-bit apps, which include Indesign CS6.

So I'll need to hold off upgrading MacOS or find an alternative to InDesign CS6.

1 hour ago, Adriandw said:

I've been hoping Affinity Publisher will save me from having to subscribe to Adobe Indesign (I'm still running a purchased copy of Indesign CS6 on MacOS High Sierra).

But I just read that the next MacOS, due in the autumn,  will drop support for 32-bit apps, which include Indesign CS6.

So I'll need to hold off upgrading MacOS or find an alternative to InDesign CS6.

Apple may have bactracked on the issue of 32-bit applications.

http://www.planetquark.com/2017/12/04/32-bit-apps-will-stop-working-macosx/

There are a couple good tips in there and another post by Matthias about virtualizing a previous OS as well.

Probably at whatever AD and AP price will be at the moment at the moment , but is my wild guess...

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 and V2.4 Windows 10 and Windows 11. 
Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

MattP said somewhere in this topic that the price for Publisher will be the same as the other two Affinity applications.

Edit: It's page 6. I could give you a link, but I'm a jerk face.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!