You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Publisher - Sneak Preview

TonyB

On 5/29/2018 at 12:07 PM, MikeW said:

Nope.

This has nothing to do with the resolution of images/bitmaps being transferred over to another document. It has to do with, specifically as mentioned, type size, but also applies to other vector elements.

If I have 72pt type, I want 72pt type when I copy it to another document. I do not want some document-level DPI to muck with it. I'm a big boy and can resize it all on my own if that is needed. If I have a 3" rectangle, by God I want a 3" rectangle if I copy it to another document. Document-level DPI simply should not affect vector elements. 

And I am pretty confident to say that if APub behaves in the same way as AD currently does, it isn't going to be a liked “feature” among professional layout people. Nor, if APub ever (and I mean ever) makes way into print establishments and they accept client files from APub, they really are not going to like what happens when a client file was created at 72 DPI and they change it to 300 DPI. Everything, and I mean everything, will suddenly shrink on the page and the page size will remain the same. That's no way for a layout application to behave...and not a vector design application, either.

Mike

Hi Mike... That is exactly my point!!! Very well described!!!

On 5/29/2018 at 12:44 PM, owenr said:

AD does allow us to preserve the physical size of the document and its elements when changing the document DPI in Document Setup. Ensure the document units is a physical unit and not pixel, specify the new DPI, specify "Rescale" and not "Anchor", then hit OK.

Hi owenr... That's OK only when resizing a document... But, that's not the correct behavior when you want to copy some elements to different documents.

Say I have two Letter size documents ( 8.5 x 11 inches, one with 72 ppp and the other with 300 ppp )... And if I have a 3x3 inches circle in one document and copy it to the other document, I should still have a 3 x 3 inches circle regardless of the ppp's.

The same goes to Text Blocks and font sizes ( in points ).

I've only seen this behavior in Photoshop, and not in Illustrator.

On 5/30/2018 at 11:53 AM, Tia Lapis said:

Don't understand what problem with dpi you have - If I change the dpi of a document vector and bitmap objects will be scaled correctly when I select rescale in the dialog.

Hi Tia Lapis... That's OK only when resizing a document... But, that's not the correct behavior when you want to copy some elements to different documents.

Say I have two Letter size documents ( 8.5 x 11 inches, one with 72 ppp and the other with 300 ppp )... And if I have a 3x3 inches circle in one document and copy it to the other document, I should still have a 3 x 3 inches circle regardless of the ppp's.

The same goes to Text Blocks and font sizes ( in points ).

I've only seen this behavior in Photoshop, and not in Illustrator.

12 minutes ago, owenr said:

Yes, I know. Please don't take my words out of context. They were in response to a specific statement by another member of the forum.

I'm not trying to take your words out of context.

I just replied to your comment, because I didn't see any 'quotes' or names to other members targeting your comment.

But that was my mistake... I see that you response to a specific statement. Sorry!!!

Maybe we will get double surprise -- Publisher and v. 1.7? :)

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

1 hour ago, Hokusai said:

You might be on to something (and I hope you are)! 

And I hope we see Designer and Ash on stage. :D

Best regards!

Here's my crystal ball reading.

Next Monday, at WWDC, Serif will introduce Affinity Designer for iPad. We know it's coming, and WWDC would be a great (and almost expected) forum for it to be shown. I wouldn't be surprised if, initially, the files created by Affinity Designer for iPad cannot be opened by the existing 3 programs. In that case, new betas will almost certainly be available, rapid-fire, for Affinity Photo (desktop and iPad) and for Affinity Designer (desktop) in version 1.7. And, I suspect that the file format incompatibility will prove to be caused by the soon-to-be-released Affinity Publisher.

Now, who wants their tea leaves read?

Affinity Photo 2, Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2 (latest retail versions) - desktop & iPad
Culling - FastRawViewer; Raw Developer - Capture One Pro; Asset Management - Photo Supreme
Mac Studio with M2 Max (2023}; 64 GB RAM; macOS 13 (Ventura); Mac Studio Display - iPad Air 4th Gen; iPadOS 17

I've been patient for years waiting for Publisher. I've replaced all of my Adobe programs with Affinity and Quark. I HAVE to use CC at work and if you want an example of patience, try using InDesign with it's faults and patches and shortcomings and WAIT for Adobe to fix it. I'd rather wait another year for Publisher than have to use CC for my personal use. Publisher will be amazing and confounding at the same time. I will dive head first upon it's arrival because if it behaves like it's sister programs, it will be a joy to explore, incorporate, and overcome whatever learning curve there may be (years of second-nature use of Adobe interface/shortcuts). Personally, I'd rather the developers take their time. Every time Adobe updates their CC programs, there's always wonderful new glitches and bugs. Thankfully, I'm not responsible for their shortcomings as it's what management has decided is the software of choice.

Personally I find Indesign pretty stable, though I stopped upgrading at CS6. I wonder if the expectations of APub are getting too high. I'm sure it will have some amazing new features but there will be lots missing which ID users have taken for granted over the years. Hopefully it will be the start of a long road though I suspect it will be pretty buggy for a while, like most new software.

Windows 10 Pro, I5 3.3G PC 16G RAM

I stopped upgrading at CS5. So I agree, CS5/CS6 is pretty stable. I don't really find anything earth-shattering in CC. Since I picked up QuarkXpress in November, it's been a re-learning curve with a lot of pleasant surprises. I think it's going to be the same way with APub. There are some things I miss in Quark that are part of InDesign, but nothing that can't be resolved or find a solution for, and for my personal reasons and beliefs, I won't ever subscribe to Adobe software (or any software for that matter).

I jumped ship at PSCS 5; after looking at 6, I didn't notice a significant difference to bother. InDesign is fine, after being forced into it when it killed off Adlus PageMaker in 1585. It's overkill; too much I have no use for, including the system overhead.

g

new-AD-slug.png.458b94d5dc178383711ce27afd725aae.png

51 minutes ago, dannyg9 said:

I stopped upgrading at CS5.

I still have CS6 at hand and use it when needed. It is a good backup. But most of my work I do with Affintiy. And am happy with it.

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

41 minutes ago, AuthorAuthor said:

... when it killed off Aldus PageMaker in 1585.

A bit of hyperbole there, methinks! PageMaker was only introduced in 1985, so even the mighty Adobe would have found it a bit difficult to kill it off 400 years earlier. :P

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

On 5/14/2018 at 11:05 AM, Jan Gaare said:

I also agree to the demand for indesign compability, or else its more or less a hopeless switch for designers.

Regards JAN

Dear Jan, it would mean that AP is taking over all the sh*t that you exactly want to avoid by leaving InDesign (ID).

I made the switch from Illustrator to AD and I haven't had any regrets. I know, AD reads AI-Files, but not when they're native, only when they have PDF-compatibility. I doubt that taking over such a complex format as ID's would work fine. So instead of making it badly, I suggest not to make it at all.

Most certainly an exaggeration, Alfred! An attempt at humour. Let me revise, "I used PageMaker so long ago, it has arthritis..."

Really! I've imported 99% of my user group newsletters into InDesign, but am  mostly flummoxed with the 8.3 naming limitations in Windows 3.1! :)

GARYBOU.TON

new-AD-slug.png.458b94d5dc178383711ce27afd725aae.png