You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Publisher - Sneak Preview

TonyB

14 hours ago, InfoCentral said:

Doesn't Europe go on vacation for a month in Summer?

Yeah, the whole of Europe (the continent) has three months of paid vacation per year of which one is taken by all people at the same time. So, basically time stands still during that time. :D

I was just kidding with the vacation thing, by the way, just in case sarcasm doesn’t come across here. It’s a common misconception by Americans that there is a common European culture (and that’s partly what my comment aimed at). Despite the existence of the European Union, each country within (and outside, because the EU is not equal to Europe) still has mostly their specific culture and laws, including regulations regarding vacation. However, I suppose it’s common across the entire temperate climate zone on the northern hemisphere that during summer people go on a vacation for some amount of time and business (except the tourism industry) is less busy than on other times.

My country is in Europe (and the EU and everything), and in most IT companies I worked at (yeah, not great ones, small and under powered in many cases) it was 6 days a year... and thank you. In most cases, 6 days when your boss has absolutely nothing to be done where is going to need the designer/seo/web developer (or all game assets are done, is just coding/testing..when they did not take us also for testing.. bad for your thumb finger if its mobiles...). Still, at the one I was more years it was pretty reasonable in comparison, 15 days, and yep, typically in August. Around here all activity stops like when wind stops in the middle of the sea by that month. Suppliers close, clients go holidays, and we get our lovely 45ºC. So you are even forced to take 'em by then. I believe 22 days is the legal requested thing. Different matter is that in some companies -many- you do extra hours till middle of the night or better said early in the morning of next day, then you get those hours (never paid as extra hours) exchanged in a 1:1 ratio for extra free days (if you are one of a kind in your company, then only when the activity allows it. If there's someone to replace you ie, typical company with a bunch of programmers but one only graphics person), typically you negotiate with colleagues. Most times didn't have that luck :S . ).

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 and V2.4 Windows 10 and Windows 11. 
Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

I know .... But the rules/conditions vary depending on the available jobs offer (the need to retain workers vary, too) in a region/city....  ;). This ain't Silicon Valley, hehe. You can take it or leave it (meaning leaving the city/region or entire country). In my personal balance the nomad thing did not compensate. But starting to change my opinion. Most (quite a bunch of total ninjas) colleagues left looong ago. Some left the country. A few more, the region, and practically all escaped from the city (yeah, Mordor). But the more IT (and any other advanced stuff industry) collapse we have, the more attractive this city seems for tourism, lol (unrelated, but is just funny that happens so)... Which is not that good , as then the resources go all to tourism, just like in its day they went to construction, real state. (so, zero investment gone to IT, business development, etc. Which is an absolute need for a region growth. In an area that is not terribly poor, but zero developed in IT matters or mostly any other advanced stuff). Like in, I guess, a bunch of developed (non poor) countries, in some areas of them, I mean (I dunno if Detroit is starting to recover...). And if you multiply these bad bits by 100, you get what they have in any third world country (so, I don't really complain). Is just utter stupidity to have this in the first world...

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 and V2.4 Windows 10 and Windows 11. 
Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

Will there be font auto-activation? It's something Designer and Photo could use. It seems to me that with a page layout application, font auto activation would be a must.

And a decent color management system.

On 21. Mai 2018 at 4:01 PM, AuthorAuthor said:

Might I suggest this be done on loading the OS

That means a new tool (from Serif) is needed that will check all Affinity files (from everywhere) and the needed fonts … ;)

Just an uneducated thought. It's beyond me—literally; I'm not an engineer— how vector drawing programs such as Xara Designer and CorelDRAW, and Inkscape, too, can load about 3× as fast as other programs that use the same system fonts.

Might the speed issue be because some programs don't read the metrics, but only the binary info, upon launch?

new-AD-slug.png.458b94d5dc178383711ce27afd725aae.png

I just hope that Affinity Publisher will handle font sizes independently of the document's ppp resolution!!!

If I have an Affinity Designer document at 72 ppp with a text size at 12 pt. and copy that block of text to a document with 300 ppp, the text appears really small. ( 2.9 pt. )

And viceversa, from a 300 to 72 ppp document the font gets converted to a 50 pt. font size.

Is that a normal behavior in Vector Apps ??? I've seen it only in Photoshop (pixels) not in Illustrator (vector).

10 hours ago, macCesar said:

I just hope that Affinity Publisher will handle font sizes independently of the document's ppp resolution!!!

If I have an Affinity Designer document at 72 ppp with a text size at 12 pt. and copy that block of text to a document with 300 ppp, the text appears really small. ( 2.9 pt. )

And viceversa, from a 300 to 72 ppp document the font gets converted to a 50 pt. font size.

Is that a normal behavior in Vector Apps ??? I've seen it only in Photoshop (pixels) not in Illustrator (vector).

None that I have used. And shouldn't be in AD, either.

DPI should be (in my opinion) only be a setting for bitmap effects for the document or rasterizing something.

12 hours ago, macCesar said:

This doesn't affect text only, it affects shapes too. 

Hi MacCesar, and Mike—

The problem is the way you're seeing an equation here, and it as to do with real world measurements. Let's say as per your example, you have a Designer document open. You're busted right there! How large is the document, in physical measurements? Remember in school that you can't solve for c,  without both a +b. I tend to live in the past, like 9th grade, sorry!

Your measurement of resolution makes sense out of the other two units. Say you're bragging over a new car, "Oh, you wouldn't believe this Bad Boy: It goes from 0 to 140 in 5 seconds!"
I'm not impressed because there is no value for the numerator Yeah, okay we might presume the idiot (for speeding!) was traveling 140 miles per hour, but you always need to be explicit in Math. Math is unforgiving. The non-presumptuous, but stupid friend might figure the car goes 140 inches per hour, or 3 furlongs, or it might go around the diameter of a fresh pizza in an hour.

Okay, I've heard all kinds of fractional; terms from samples/inch—I'm an Ugly American and I use inches;  use ml or whatever is convenient for you— to dots per inch which is never the same as printed dots per inch so avoid this physical measurement.

Bored yet? I thought so, so here comes "the real deal" that I couldn't possibly write into the forum! The book from which this chapter was pulled is not for sale anymore, therefore I don't collect royalties, therefore rights revert to the Author. Author contracts spell out this sort of stuff.

Just click here, seeing as it's just a tinch too large—even optimized for the forum server to take it Next best thing is Dropbox

here

My Best,

Gary

watermelon vector.jpg

watermelon pixel.jpg

1 hour ago, Max Basok said:

so, it's almost summer. have any ideas in wich mounth (supposedly) Publisher will be available?

"In the Summer" has been the response and that will be up to Sept 21st. By the lack of betas recently one might guess that they are finishing it up now

But that is just a rumor

coffee.gif

Affinity Designer 2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212 Affinity Photo 2.2.2075  beta 2.3.1.2212Affinity Publisher  2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212

Windows 11 Pro Version    22H2
OS build    22621.1928
Processor    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700 CPU @ 2.90GHz   2.90 GHz
Installed RAM    16.0 GB (15.7 GB usable)
System type    64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

yoda.png

56 minutes ago, AuthorAuthor said:

Hi MacCesar, and Mike—

The problem is the way you're seeing an equation here

Nope.

This has nothing to do with the resolution of images/bitmaps being transferred over to another document. It has to do with, specifically as mentioned, type size, but also applies to other vector elements.

If I have 72pt type, I want 72pt type when I copy it to another document. I do not want some document-level DPI to muck with it. I'm a big boy and can resize it all on my own if that is needed. If I have a 3" rectangle, by God I want a 3" rectangle if I copy it to another document. Document-level DPI simply should not affect vector elements. 

And I am pretty confident to say that if APub behaves in the same way as AD currently does, it isn't going to be a liked “feature” among professional layout people. Nor, if APub ever (and I mean ever) makes way into print establishments and they accept client files from APub, they really are not going to like what happens when a client file was created at 72 DPI and they change it to 300 DPI. Everything, and I mean everything, will suddenly shrink on the page and the page size will remain the same. That's no way for a layout application to behave...and not a vector design application, either.

Mike

4 hours ago, owenr said:

AD does allow us to preserve the physical size of the document and its elements when changing the document DPI in Document Setup. Ensure the document units is a physical unit and not pixel, specify the new DPI, specify "Rescale" and not "Anchor", then hit OK.

That's true. Images get resample and at least here, I lose a one DPI on images for some reason.

Margins get scaled the instant on touches the DPI and if important, one needs to know what they were in order to set them back.

More importantly, like the margins, the bleed is also scaled the instant the DPI field changes.

While this may not bother yourself or anyone who reads this, nor even Serif themselves, if the blasted DPI was used for scaling images, bitmap effects and any other bitmap things like brushes like everything else, it wouldn't matter.

There probably is a vector application that does this like AD, either in the past or present. I don't know because I've only used a dozen or so as daily drivers since 1989. However, I know of no single professional layout application that has this behavior, ever.

10 minutes ago, owenr said:

I'm far from satisfied with many aspects of AD, but I wanted to point out the fallacy of your particular statement which I quoted, to try to prevent readers being misled by it.

Well, part of it was incorrect, that's true. The other parts, not so much. So thank you for the correction on the part that was incorrect.

What doesn't work right...or work as it should from an output perspective...isn't gonna make a service provider's day. It's extra work for something that absolutely shouldn't ever be tied to a document DPI.

It is easily resolved if one switches tabs to see what the margins and bleed is set to and make note of those values, switch back to the main document setup tab, change the dpi, switch back to the margins tab, reset them, switch to the bleed tab and reset the bleed, why in the world should that be needed? It wouldn't be needed if DPI was only related to the items previously mentioned. 

Having to check someone's file before print in application's that do not contain preflight checks is extra work. And that's the main theme here.

12 hours ago, AuthorAuthor said:

The book from which this chapter was pulled is not for sale anymore, therefore I don't collect royalties, therefore rights revert to the Author.

I have that book...pages 4 & 5.  :22_stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

11 hours ago, InfoCentral said:

I have that book...pages 4 & 5.  :22_stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Thank you for being one of the five people who can be called "readers" :D. Seriously, perhaps my advice wasn't spot on. MikeW knows his desktop publishing like no other, while I have a firm grasp of what a desktop is.

It's a mistake to get into digital imaging without knowing the relevant difference between raster (bitmap) and vector graphics. And the difference between resizing and resampling. Vector graphics are resolution independent—this usually means you can print a vector graphic, and make a bitmap copy of it to any size you like, and there is no blurring or jagged edges. Bitmaps are resolution dependent. The size of the graphic measure in real world units (inches, mms ) is inversely proportional to an image's resolution (how many color unit make up the image per measurement unit).

Small example: if you rescale (resize) a picture that's 4" × 4"  and is 300 pixels per inch—to twice its original size, the image will look exactly the same, except it will be exact;ly half its original perceived size.

Better example: If you zoom in too much to an image in Affinity Photo, the pixels (the building blocks of the image) become painfully evident—unless you're really into 1970s video games. It's because bitmap images by their very construction, are dependent on the resolution to which they were created or resized.

resolutiion dependent.jpg

Don't understand what problem with dpi you have - If I change the dpi of a document vector and bitmap objects will be scaled correctly when I select rescale in the dialog.

Mac mini M1 / Ryzen 5600H & RTX3050 mobile / iPad Pro 1st - all with latest non beta release of Affinity