You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Publisher - Sneak Preview

TonyB

Will it have special character insertion? That is,extended characters?

Styles for page auto-numbering? Ex 1,2, 3   I, II, III  Page One, Page Two...?

Making "pulled quotes" (callout quotes) easy? AS in, "not like InDesign?

decimal tabs? Hanging indents?

TIA,

Gary

2 page layout.png

new-AD-slug.png.458b94d5dc178383711ce27afd725aae.png

3 hours ago, Petar Petrenko said:

Very simple. If three apps are arround 250 MB each, so 3 x 250 = 750 MB

One app will be far bellow 750 MB because they (will) share a lot of code. :)

But it will likely still be more than 250MB, so it would be more than it needs to be if all I’m using is one specific application.

That’s like going to McDonald’s to get a Big Mac and saying that it’ll be cheaper in a super size menu – of course, every component in itself would be cheaper than buying them separately but absolutely you are paying more and are getting stuff you didn’t want in the first place.

But if you get a medium-size soda, would it be cheaper to...

sorry!
Just kidding around. I think the analogy is a good one We used to call stuff on a "bonus CD" "ShovelWare" if it served no purpose other than padding (much like the center piece of bread in a Big Mac) .

I believe the whole trend of "Smallware", and Affinity is doing a superb job, is to provide the creative person with the tools they want and need minus the esoterica. Someone called CorelDRAW "bloatware" once Not nice, but the idea is solid: keep the program small and fast, share code (definitely) and if you want to sell a "suite"...don't. But if you do, make single apps equitable in price. IOW, don't make me feel stupid by encouraging me to over-buy.

Just my deflated ¢,

*Gare

1 hour ago, VIPStephan said:

But it will likely still be more than 250MB, so it would be more than it needs to be if all I’m using is one specific application.

That’s like going to McDonald’s to get a Big Mac and saying that it’ll be cheaper in a super size menu – of course, every component in itself would be cheaper than buying them separately but absolutely you are paying more and are getting stuff you didn’t want in the first place.

HD memory these days (of course, SSD is much more expensive, that even that has been changing) is not such an important criteria (even less for pro work, or for someone really dedicated to certain hobby). People looking anxiously as we were till recently for a valid CC alternative do actually care about functionality overall, and being able to do what is needed for the work with the new apps. I have had 2D/3D applications using gigabytes of my hd, each (heck, a bunch of my project files for press typically use gigabytes, no matter what software.... I work a lot in raster). And years ago when the HD gigabyte was pretty expensive. In my area, a mechanical HD, with 7200 rpm, and typpical mainstream disk specs is as cheap as 45 euros, VAT inc., with 2.5 terabytes. And come on. If you are serious at this, whatever your image editing, or your vector based workflows, it may take whatever it needs to in terms of space, if gets the job done ! A whole gig (the disk can have 2 thousand of those, or at least one), if the software allows to do stuff fast and properly for a paid project, pays for a bunch of terabytes. And a bunch of these apps licenses, btw. And is not a monthly, recurring bill. Is an effort you make in a particular moment in time (when fits you best), till next big update (I'd be totally fine if it'd be yearly, just not forced...).

The problem with the all together thing is a mere matter of UI design. Dunno how many of you have multiple monitors, not my case, sadly. Is an issue even with any well optimized UI like Affinity's or Adobe's, and I still wish at times I'd had not just a 2nd monitor, but even a third (but these close-to-pro monitors, 800 to 1200 bucks, not to have 3....). Even when am working with only one package, not constantly alt tabbing (if someone here has ever textured a 3D model would know what I mean) . With 2 monitors you can put the panels in one side, the canvas in another. Or just one for vectors, the other for rasters. And a third monitor with the browser for checking stuff, seeking for historic info/refs, etc. And this can be applied to documents, to anything. For coding, 2 monitors is quite useful (some don't like it, tho). 

IMO here the debate is partly the UI cramming problem, that is talking about what's best if a suite having it all mixed together (IMO Xara Designer approach), or instead, only specialized BIG areas like now. (AD and AP cover hugely wide areas already, many professional fields, just like AI and PS do), and also that I don't believe you can do a generic thing doing such different things (vectors, rasters and publishing) and still keep being great at each, you are making something that now would have to be usable for a much more heterogeneous scenario. This can diminish how deep and specific can you go in a tool. In the case of Xara, I always thought it excels  in vectors side and export features, still I miss quite a number of things in raster editing, pixel pushing stuff. And I believe part of the issue is that is all in same UI...(apart for the core design and planned functionality, etc) . Don't take me wrong, I love those apps. I was very close to go that route after intensive trials testing of all their products gamma, but solid reasons made me decide Affinity was a better bet.

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 and V2.4 Windows 10 and Windows 11. 
Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

Hey guys,
it was just a little chat between me and Stephen H. You took it very seriously. Huh, In what times we live nowadays. You can't even speak peacefully with someone without interference from outside. :)

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

On 10/5/2018 at 11:19 AM, Petar Petrenko said:

Hey guys,
it was just a little chat between me and Stephen H. You took it very seriously. Huh, In what times we live nowadays. You can't even speak peacefully with someone without interference from outside. :)

Interference.... well, welcome to internet...

( you can always PM the guy....hehe.  :P

Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

euh...didn't notice, will have to check the previous pages better...someone has really tried to get to someone here?  :?

(I believe it is a talk about concentrating elements in an UI... in a general access forum (where everybody can speak).... not sure how does this connect....)

Is the beta near? 

I almost killed ID yesterday afternoon, its came to mess up my actual project... 

Just took my mouse and spoke out loud : you don't know me ID, you really don't! 

After few breaths... ID was gone... 

Now I will clean my PC (reinstall MS Windows) & leave it quiet until APub is around. 

... And guys! I like your propositions about production etc... I'm sure I will bleed a lot but APub will go to production the first day it's release, sourced and installed on my PC/Mac. 

@Alfred would you be my bestman for my Publishing wedding with APub???  :)

Never be the Same Again !
---
Dell Optiplex 5090 SFF
Intel Core i5-10500T @2.30GHz with 12GiB 2666MHz DDR4
Intel UHD Graphics 630 for 10th Generation
M.2 2280, 512 GB, PCIe NVMe Gen3 x4, Class 40 SSD

Windows 11 Pro x64 22H2 + LibreOffice 7.5.3

Hi,

as I can see on the video at position 1:44 there will be paragraph rules, vertical (and horizontal, I hope) added to the text. It would be much better if these rules could be even curves and with brush effects.

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

I think that is an extremely ambitious request, to display brush effects in a dtp program. Me, I'd rather the engineers devote as much times as possible to page layout enhancements so this program can outperform all others. One industry-standard has been repelling text; depending on the program, it's either really easy to deploy or excruciatingly slow and fault-prone. I'd like to see an easy way to work between AD and this publishing program

Currently I have to use EPS as a "wrapper" for getting vector designs into InDesign: fancy drop-caps, distorted headlines, maps, and so on This design was so intricate, I had to do most of it in Xara; it was published just fine, but I would have preferred to publish it in a DTP program The typefaces got "funky": I hate using two programs to complete one document; I can never find the file later!

Please let the line of products feature an easy corridor between them. I began with PageMaker in 1991 (I think),d and there's yet to be an easy DTP program, even for seasoned designers.

Thank you for your time, and God Bless.

x5 book cover.jpg

5 hours ago, AuthorAuthor said:

Please let the line of products feature an easy corridor between them.

As you may not have been aware, Gary, the Affinity apps share a common file format, and we can choose the ‘Edit in...’ option if the feature we want to use is only available in another app in the suite. I can’t think of an easier “corridor” than that!

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

1. No, I wasn't aware, even though I own both AD and AP.
  2. I cornered the market on Unobservant years ago.
  3. I am delighted to hear this new. No, make that "enthralled"!
  4. Where were you guys when I needed you in 1995?!

Yep, just tried getting this AD file into Affinity Photo. Worked like a charm!

A million thanks,

—Gary

high-heels-in-maroon.gif

2 hours ago, AuthorAuthor said:

Where were you guys when I needed you in 1995?!

Selling Draw Plus 2 (among other products) licenses, if I'm not wrong (back then or a bit later, me grabbing every old version they gave away in magazines (as did with many other brands). Even when I often wouldn't install them...)

Ah, I recall when they'd put a floppy in a magazine! I became a SharWare/FreeWare/VirusWare (!), and ShovelWare junkie!

Then along came data CDs. I have a basement full of them. Someone at a tech forum suggested that they make reflective, shiny, really ugly Christmas tree ornaments.
Let's see how long the thumb drive can hang in their before bleeding edge makes it a curiosity.

5 hours ago, Alfred said:

As you may not have been aware, Gary, the Affinity apps share a common file format, and we can choose the ‘Edit in...’ option if the feature we want to use is only available in another app in the suite. I can’t think of an easier “corridor” than that!

Taking this a base for my thoughts. 

Would be great to have a line in contextual menu in APub. 

I mean, place a photo on a APub page then simply right click on that image to edit it with APhoto not closing the thing in APub then save it when work is completed in APhoto then see the update appears in APub (which I precise stayed opened). 

This would help us to drop the need and the level of stress we face with the need of smart objects in affinity products. 

Also the same can be applied for vectors. 

If not contextual menu then simply make it possible to click on vector/image or photo then click on the ADesigner or APhoto button/Persona we see in the video to open the thing and allow the edit without closing APub or making the project empty. 

The ability to import coming ADesigner pages (a precise page or artboard) would be great too. 

Never be the Same Again !
---
Dell Optiplex 5090 SFF
Intel Core i5-10500T @2.30GHz with 12GiB 2666MHz DDR4
Intel UHD Graphics 630 for 10th Generation
M.2 2280, 512 GB, PCIe NVMe Gen3 x4, Class 40 SSD

Windows 11 Pro x64 22H2 + LibreOffice 7.5.3

12 hours ago, Arnaud Mez said:

Taking this a base for my thoughts. 

Would be great to have a line in contextual menu in APub. 

I mean, place a photo on a APub page then simply right click on that image to edit it with APhoto not closing the thing in APub then save it when work is completed in APhoto then see the update appears in APub (which I precise stayed opened). 

This would help us to drop the need and the level of stress we face with the need of smart objects in affinity products. 

Also the same can be applied for vectors. 

If not contextual menu then simply make it possible to click on vector/image or photo then click on the ADesigner or APhoto button/Persona we see in the video to open the thing and allow the edit without closing APub or making the project empty. 

The ability to import coming ADesigner pages (a precise page or artboard) would be great too. 

i think what your implying is already implemented as imbedded document. You can open a photo that you want to put in your document in APh. than save the file as Aph and place it in APub, while double clicking on the photo you entered in APub, it will open the editable file in another tab which than you can edit in APh while the changes will directly be applied in both individual APh file and the APub document.

15 hours ago, AuthorAuthor said:

Ah, I recall when they'd put a floppy in a magazine! I became a SharWare/FreeWare/VirusWare (!), and ShovelWare junkie!

Then along came data CDs. I have a basement full of them. Someone at a tech forum suggested that they make reflective, shiny, really ugly Christmas tree ornaments.
Let's see how long the thumb drive can hang in their before bleeding edge makes it a curiosity.

Had forgot about the fact...Yep, initially magazines came with floppy disks.... (not sure if the ones from before came with those flexible 5 inches older ones, too, as back then I did not purchase magazines...(but coded small games in BASIC ! :D )). 

1 hour ago, SrPx said:

Had forgot about the fact...Yep, initially magazines came with floppy disks.... (not sure if the ones from before came with those flexible 5 inches older ones, too, as back then I did not purchase magazines...(but coded small games in BASIC ! :D )). 

Yes, before the advent of 3″ and 3½″ floppy disks, magazine cover disks were the 5¼″ ones. I’m pretty sure I remember seeing cassette tapes on magazine covers, too!

Alfred spacer.png

You are right ! I remember. I got my spectrum 48k, rubber keys (example in my glorious avatar), and while it came with some basic games (who can forget "Jet Pac"), certainly there were magazines including stuff, though... rarely AAA games (of the times, lol). I've known people involved in making those, often 3 guys studios, and that was it, lol ! (huh...well, I've done games in phone companies where we were 4 guys, and 3 guys during months... so... (and yep, I said guys, is not sexist, just they were always guys  :S ...))

BTW, we are NOT blatantly off topic. It's magazines, so, publishing stuff.

1 hour ago, SrPx said:

You are right ! I remember. I got my spectrum 48k, rubber keys (example in my glorious avatar), and while it came with some basic games (who can forget "Jet Pac"), certainly there were magazines including stuff, though... rarely AAA games (of the times, lol). I've known people involved in making those, often 3 guys studios, and that was it, lol ! (huh...well, I've done games in phone companies where we were 4 guys, and 3 guys during months... so... (and yep, I said guys, is not sexist, just they were always guys  :S ...))

BTW, we are NOT blatantly off topic. It's magazines, so, publishing stuff.

Yes, I remember those days when I bought my Spectrum 48K from Greece. It was forbiden in ex YU to import anything over 100 DEM (50 EUR) and Spectrum was 333 DEM. You can make a first class comedy film what I did to import it. :D
BTW, I feel sad I didn't learn Spectrum's assembler language (beside BASIC). It could be very useful even nowadays. :(

1 hour ago, Petar Petrenko said:

You can make a first class comedy film what I did to import it. :D

It would be interesting to hear how you managed it, Petar, but I think there have already been too many off-topic posts to this thread! Perhaps you could post the story somewhere else: ‘Learn and Share’ might be a good place, since you would be sharing the details and the rest of us would be learning from that. ;)

Alfred spacer.png

I'd say if we are indeed off-topic: who cares? There are forums all around us that are graphics-oriented and they are waning. Seriously; tolerance and a sense of humour will make the Affinity boards thrive.

And yes, magazines are published, and in a way diskettes contain data, similar to magazines, QED not off-topic!

BTW, everyone: If you're a mom, Happy Mother's Day. And if you are the product of a mom, or have a mom, wish them a happy day. And because this forum contains carefully laid out content, I'm just self-publishing here...

Happy Mother's Day tg.jpg

I'm really stretching it, aren't I?

^^ This. Fully subscribe every ...er....Author Author?  opinion, here... :D

While is rare as a week with two Thursdays that I wouldn't fully agree with Alfred, here I'd say I never got to absorb that aspect of the internets... When am at a conversation in real life, it would not be myself if I'd told anyone, hey, cut it, you are being off topic ! ;D .  Of course, I'd understand to keep stuff on-topic is very helpful for later on users looking for stuff... But this is a thread that is for informing Affinity users that we are getting such a wonder as APub. We know now, we're just keeping it alive, hehe. :D Anyway, people is so extremely interested in APub that new questions about how will be this or that, or... please, Serif, force the earth traslation to be faster (don't be lazy!!!) , so that the Summer comes sooner  kind of comments will pop up again....endlessly...till summer. And after it (for new features, etc).

We're just adding some color to it :P

About what the audience really really cares about... yup, I had a whole book of Z80 assenbler code, as BASIC games were too limited, I tricked the stuff with the RND function (and redefining the key letters to make the tiles/sprites previously drawn in grid paper...), and could make a timing that faked game interaction.... but the assembler stuff scared me to no end... hehe.  All those large strings of alien numbers and letters....  If that had looked like Python, I'd be a game programmer, today... Which is even more scary.

Spoiler: This is not in the least iota related to APub, so yes, it is unapologetically off-topic. But I, for one, and I will guess most of the folks who read these musings, enjoy them immensely. It is these side trips that add character and color to this forum.

Speaking of assembly code, I recently learned that another incredible software project for artists, FL Studio by Image Line. uses assembly language and Delphi for most of their graphics processing (https://support.image-line.com/action/knowledgebase?ans=114). Having the ability to bypass the usual high-level APIs gives them the ability to precisely control the operation and feedback of even the tiniest user interactions. Because of that, the responsiveness and fluidity of the app is legendary in the DAW community; it also accounts for why their porting of FL Studio to Mac has taken an excruciatingly long time; does this sound familiar, anyone? :)

The Affinity suite of products has the most fluid and responsive experiences I have ever seen, and this makes me wonder if they are using the same approach in their codebase. It would go a long way toward explaining both the level of performance, as well as the time it takes for development.

EDIT: Here is another wonderful review of this software: https://machow2.com/fl-studio-for-mac-review/. It is SO refreshing to see companies like Serif and Image Line who actually care about the user experience of their masterpieces. :x