You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Publisher - Sneak Preview

TonyB

17 minutes ago, MikeW said:

But neither hold a candle to Ventura publisher for long documents.

Here, here.

I hope APub can learn something for this good old friend.

2017 27” iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 • Radeon Pr 580 8GB • 64GB • Ventura 13.6.4.

iPad Pro (10.5-inch) • 256GB • Version 16.4

8 minutes ago, Alfred said:

...So I'm still none the wiser. :(

They are simply a folded document that can be calendars, small fold-out books (with or without pop-ups), etc. Calendar versions can be day, month or yearly (yearly ones are typically six panes, so five folds, half the year on one side the other half the other side). Size/shape are sometimes square to rectangular portrait (never seen a rectangular one landscape orientation). It's the ones that are die-cut that can be quite neat in revealing stuff.

Mike

1 hour ago, Seneca said:

No, I don't mean that.  

For example you are working on a diary. You create a paragraph style called Date. This date entry, say 25 May 2018 and each consecutive Day entry should start in a new frame.  It doesn't matter whether this frame is on the same page, the facing page or the following page. It doesn't matter whether you have 1, 2, or 4 of these frames per page. What matters is that this paragraph style acts like a sentinel that tells the program to stop filling the text in this frame and move on to the next frame because it has encounter Date paragraph style. I realise that my explanation may not be adequate. Sorry.

Yes, you do. I've just forgot to mention "frame" when I wrote on next page/column/frame. :)

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

23 hours ago, Alfred said:

I'm probably not the only one here who has no idea what a Leporello calendar might be.

No worries, Alfred. The topic is starting to get a little too technical for my brain.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

2 hours ago, Tourmaline said:

It's now part of Coreldraw.

No it isn't. Corel Draw has implemented some features that are similar to things that people need for professional page layout but that's it ... Corel Draw is a great software, but nowhere close to a page layout application. Sorry.

26 minutes ago, Jens Krebs said:

No it isn't. Corel Draw has implemented some features that are similar to things that people need for professional page layout but that's it ... Corel Draw is a great software, but nowhere close to a page layout application. Sorry.

https://www.coreldraw.com/en/pages/old-brands/ventura-publisher/

Affinity Designer 2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212 Affinity Photo 2.2.2075  beta 2.3.1.2212Affinity Publisher  2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212

Windows 11 Pro Version    22H2
OS build    22621.1928
Processor    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700 CPU @ 2.90GHz   2.90 GHz
Installed RAM    16.0 GB (15.7 GB usable)
System type    64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

yoda.png

7 minutes ago, MikeW said:

And I still use VP. But it basically died in 2002 when Corel decided to not update it any longer. 

Corel is where good programs go to die

Affinity Designer 2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212 Affinity Photo 2.2.2075  beta 2.3.1.2212Affinity Publisher  2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212

Windows 11 Pro Version    22H2
OS build    22621.1928
Processor    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700 CPU @ 2.90GHz   2.90 GHz
Installed RAM    16.0 GB (15.7 GB usable)
System type    64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

yoda.png

17 minutes ago, Rick G said:

Well, they can talk whatever they want, but, CorelDRAW is not even near to DTP. At least, not for long documents.

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

Just now, Rick G said:

Corel is where good programs go to die

Same as Adobe and, maybe, Autodesk.

16 minutes ago, Petar Petrenko said:

Well, they can talk whatever they want, but, CorelDRAW is not even near to DTP. At least, not for long documents.

I love their "Top Reasons to Upgrade From Ventura Publisher. Not a single one has anything to do with layout. It's all about content creation instead.

I do know people that have done long documents in CD. And novels in XDP. And ...

But how silly when there are actual options for things beyond short brochures.

You can't find anything about serious DTP on their "features" page:
https://www.coreldraw.com/en/product/graphic-design-software/#features

59 minutes ago, Petar Petrenko said:

You can't find anything about serious DTP on their "features" page:
https://www.coreldraw.com/en/product/graphic-design-software/#features

And that's because it isn't a serious, or any other kind of, layout application even though it can be used for longer documents.

CD and AD, for content creation applications, do have excellent OpenType feature support. As regards the implementation for accessing OT Features (character variants, stylistic sets, etc.), though, CorelDraw is far easier/better than AD. It's one of the best features in CD (in a longish list of "better"). I haven't yet upgraded my CD2017 to CD2018 yet, but I will for a couple of new features in it. In particular, long shadows (think vector 3D shadows).

Mike

I'd love to see a lightweight DTP program come out that shares the novel interface of Affinity products to shorten any learning curve. I use InDesign CS 6 sort of by lack of DTP products within an acceptable price range/features. Microsoft Publisher deserved death by neglect because that's what Microsoft does with all graphics programs after 6 months of acquisition.

I sure would like to see a sensibly laid-out program that offers easy import/export to/from Designer and Photo. Does "robust yet uncomplicated" resonate with anyone?

Good to see you here, Mike! The other place is an echo chamber.

My Best,

Gary

5af04413ba6c8_garecat.png.45aebea3676b5380433fcf5c5c35d913.png

new-AD-slug.png.458b94d5dc178383711ce27afd725aae.png

49 minutes ago, AuthorAuthor said:

I sure would like to see a sensibly laid-out program that offers easy import/export to/from Designer and Photo. Does "robust yet uncomplicated" resonate with anyone?

Based on what they've done so far and are planning to do with AD and APh, I think "robust yet uncomplicated" fits in pretty well with the Affinity team's design philosophy (although we're still getting silly crashes, so the robustness clearly isn't quite there yet). As for import/export to/from the other apps in the suite, the common file format should mean that that won't be necessary: just as we're currently able to open AD documents in APh and vice versa, we can expect that existing Affinity documents will open in Affinity Publisher and APub documents will open in the other Affinity apps.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

I have used CorelDraw for page layout. It works fine for single, double-sided and documents which are not going to have too many pages such as a newsletter. CD is never going to have the robust page layout abilities of ID and QXP. Nor are those programs ever going to have hardcore vector illustration and manipulation abilities of CD. Corel should either put in a 'DTP mode' within CD or create a new page layout program from scratch. But then, as I use Affinity programs, this is a moot point as far as I'm concerned.

3 hours ago, AuthorAuthor said:

I'd love to see a lightweight DTP program come out that shares the novel interface of Affinity products to shorten any learning curve. I use InDesign CS 6 sort of by lack of DTP products within an acceptable price range/features. Microsoft Publisher deserved death by neglect because that's what Microsoft does with all graphics programs after 6 months of acquisition.

Good to see you here, Mike! The other place is an echo chamber.

My Best,

Gary

5af04413ba6c8_garecat.png.45aebea3676b5380433fcf5c5c35d913.png

Hello Gary B. Nice to see another familiar face here from that other forum. You going to do a "Heaven only Nodes" video over here?

Joe

JYoung Studio  -  Affinity Photo & Affinity Designer

On 4/30/2018 at 11:41 PM, dominik said:

I assume it will be a process similar to beta tests for AD and APh. There was an announcement page with the option to register via email.

Keep your eyes open for anouncements here in the forum and as you are already an Affinity user you most likely will receive an email notification of some kind.

d.

Okey dokey!

Aber dafür ist Geduld angesagt.

MFG
-- Lowe

What I do: Document design/typesetting; Stock photo images; Digital art | Apps I use: Publisher, Photo, Designer | My PC: AMD Ryzen 7 4700U; 16.0GB RAM; Win 10 Home (21H2)

5 minutes ago, lowerider said:

Okey dokey!

Aber dafür ist Geduld angesagt.

MFG
-- Lowe

Die Geduld brauchst Du, bis zum Erscheinen der Beta-Version und bis zur offiziellen Ankündigung.

Die Anmeldung zum Beta-Test per Email sollte relativ zügig gehen.

You need patience until the Public Beta is available and the official announcement is out.
Registration via email should be rather quick :)

Cheers,

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

7 hours ago, Oval said:

Per Email ist meist viel langsamer als per E-Mail. ;)

As long as you are not sending via german Post (DHL) everything seems to be quicker ;)

But we digress.

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil