You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Publisher - Sneak Preview

TonyB

Just now, Czokalapik said:

Quick question, will there be option in Affinity Publisher to use data merge like in InDesign?

And second part of that question: if so, will there be option to export each page individually to pdf/image with filename from one of column in provided data source (csv/xls)?

I assume you will need to wait for the beta to know that.;)

4 hours ago, Czokalapik said:

Quick question, will there be option in Affinity Publisher to use data merge like in InDesign?

And second part of that question: if so, will there be option to export each page individually to pdf/image with filename from one of column in provided data source (csv/xls)?

No. Data merging will be ways off. What will be possible as regards pdfs in connection with data merge is unknown.

On 4/15/2018 at 4:18 AM, Alfred said:

Serif haven’t shown the slightest inclination to add animation features to any of the Affinity apps. If they have a change of heart, I think a DTP app would be the least likely target for the addition of such capabilities.

If you want to add animation into your pipeline then you can use Synfig Studio along with AP and AD now. No need to wait. Best of all it's FREE.

5 hours ago, Czokalapik said:

Ah, what a shame. Data merge functionality is pretty important in my work. I hoped I'd be able to replace Adobe with Affinity trio completely.

Yep, I do a lot with merging myself. But even in ID, I use Em Software's solution for merging. Sometimes I use scripting for the task, and Javascript is also a ways out.

I also use tagged text...and there may not be that support. 

I'll likely still use APub for more static work. But so much I do is automated that its role in my shop will be limited. 

On 4/17/2018 at 9:55 AM, MikeW said:

No. Data merging will be ways off. What will be possible as regards pdfs in connection with data merge is unknown.

Sad to know. It'd be great to have data merge. Hope you consider this option in a future, in times of personalised communication.

44 minutes ago, AleMello said:

Sad to know. It'd be great to have data merge. Hope you consider this option in a future, in times of personalised communication.

Ultimately, Serif cannot put much into APub (and the others) for a first release version or two. The foundation needs to be solid before much beyond basic layout capabilities.

Now, it is up to debate what those basics are, but I don't think a robust merge is one of them. And I want options—I wouldn't want a merge capability like InDesign's is. Not alone anyway. Replicating frames (like PagePlus did also) is a simplistic solution and without running some of my Javascript post-merge, I wouldn't use ID's merge for anything except envelopes. It also needs to be able to be done in a single, flowing text frame.

Mike

@MikeW I understand first release will have only basic features, but If I can suggest - data merge is pretty important feature for some of ID users who would want to switch to APub.

For example I'm using this function for few purposes, one of them is creating print ready apartment "cards" for real estates, I have website that is connected to API, I've added few scripts to export apartment list as CSV and 2d and isometric images of each apartment packed in zip file, I'm using those files in ID to generate nice, ready for print cards for clients.

Another thing is to generate (also print-ready) infographics based on data send by my coworkers.

So basically what I'm saying is: please consider data merge in future releases, it's huge part of my (and I'm sure many others) jobs ;]

2 hours ago, Czokalapik said:

So basically what I'm saying is: please consider data merge in future releases, it's huge part of my (and I'm sure many others) jobs ;]

I’m pretty sure they are considering everything that’s feasible, we don’t have to tell them. It’ll just not be done right away but when it’s ready.

^^ This. (but that kind of functionality, and several other features recently mentioned seem more than interesting to get. I guess they fully agree on that, too... )

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 and V2.4 Windows 10 and Windows 11. 
Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

24 minutes ago, Jens Krebs said:

To be fair, no one could expect it to not be cold and rainy in England in mid-April ... :D

Surely they will have good weather ... by July

HaHaHa.png

Affinity Designer 2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212 Affinity Photo 2.2.2075  beta 2.3.1.2212Affinity Publisher  2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212

Windows 11 Pro Version    22H2
OS build    22621.1928
Processor    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700 CPU @ 2.90GHz   2.90 GHz
Installed RAM    16.0 GB (15.7 GB usable)
System type    64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

yoda.png

While I do not think animation capabilities is especially on-spot for a DTP, data merging definitively is. I understand that this is not an easy task and that it might not be a priority pick for the initial push of the software, but I do hope Serif consider it for future updates.

Hi everone,  I like this place. 

As we are all making ready for APub beta to surface this summer, there are sort of killing technics taking place out there. 

Proof below. 

tmp-cam--572469884.jpg.99bc721e6dba3f93f107a528b115d1ce.jpg

Please make APub come with bug reporting tool so we can help you making it better. 

The thing I've shared is a killing technic to ID

Edited by Arnaud Mez
Missing content

Never be the Same Again !
---
Dell Optiplex 5090 SFF
Intel Core i5-10500T @2.30GHz with 12GiB 2666MHz DDR4
Intel UHD Graphics 630 for 10th Generation
M.2 2280, 512 GB, PCIe NVMe Gen3 x4, Class 40 SSD

Windows 11 Pro x64 22H2 + LibreOffice 7.5.3

I'm waiting as well...

Microsoft Windows 10 Home (Build 19045)
AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ 3.8Ghz (-30 all core +200mhz PBO); Mobo: Asus X470 Prime Pro
32GB DDR4 (3600Mhz); EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 3080 X3C Ultra 12GB
Monitor 1 4K @ 125% due to a bug
Monitor 2 4K @ 150%
Monitor 3 (as needed) 1080p @ 100%

WACOM Intuos4 Large; X-rite i1Display Pro; NIKON D5600 DSLR

34 minutes ago, Arnaud Mez said:

Hi everone,  I like this place. 

As we are all making ready for APub beta to surface this summer, there are sort of killing technics taking place out there...

Quark has been on an aggressive update schedule since version 10. Some new features arrive during the version cycle as well. Idml import arrived with the last update to the 2017 version, for instance.

I feel that publishing applications are advancing as quickly as other categories. 

Another layout application can only enhance the user experience. Competition keeps companies innovating. Which is great for us all.

3 minutes ago, MikeW said:

Quark has been on an aggressive update schedule since version 10. Some new features arrive during the version cycle as well. Idml import arrived with the last update to the 2017 version, for instance.

I feel that publishing applications are advancing as quickly as other categories. 

Another layout application can only enhance the user experience. Competition keeps companies innovating. Which is great for us all.

Hi @MikeW I agree. 

Serif devs should consider a bug reporting tool that will help us to send bug report so the team will sort them knowing they come from real source. 

Question: the coming APub beta,  will it be paid or free to try? 

Never be the Same Again !
---
Dell Optiplex 5090 SFF
Intel Core i5-10500T @2.30GHz with 12GiB 2666MHz DDR4
Intel UHD Graphics 630 for 10th Generation
M.2 2280, 512 GB, PCIe NVMe Gen3 x4, Class 40 SSD

Windows 11 Pro x64 22H2 + LibreOffice 7.5.3

Serif runs public betas free of charge. Once released, betas may only work if there is a paid-for version installed  (how it has worked thus far). Once released, the trials are time limited and only work with a major version release. 

Many/most other companies do private betas, but most are reasonably easy to join.

With some crashes, there is a little reporting dialog that comes up. However, if there isn't, it doesn't take much effort to report that here in the appropriate forum. It helps to cut down on the back and forth to provide the OS being used, the version of the application  (and which application), a sample file that demonstrates the issue, and any steps that led to the issue. 

Mike 

It has been getting hot here in Florida too so yes, summer is here and Serif needs to get cracking!

LOL grin 2.gif

Affinity Designer 2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212 Affinity Photo 2.2.2075  beta 2.3.1.2212Affinity Publisher  2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212

Windows 11 Pro Version    22H2
OS build    22621.1928
Processor    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700 CPU @ 2.90GHz   2.90 GHz
Installed RAM    16.0 GB (15.7 GB usable)
System type    64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

yoda.png

27 minutes ago, Rick G said:

It has been getting hot here in Florida too so yes, summer is here and Serif needs to get cracking!

LOL grin 2.gif

I’ve just looked at a forecast for the weather in Nottingham tomorrow: 13°C (55°F) with a 62% chance of rain. Only marginally better than today’s stats (12°C/54°C with a 98% chance of rain).

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

It is now almost May 2018 and I am still very eagerly awaiting Serif's release of their new Affinity Publisher to complete my Affinity trifecta of "Kicking Adobe to the Curb for Their Unscrupulous Practices". Got an email this morning from Steve at Serif's Affinity group stating:

"We will be having a beta testing stage, but rather than a closed beta it will be an open beta that will be available to everybody this summer."

From the teaser video showing some of its capabilities, I am even more anxious for its release...even the Beta release.