You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Publisher - Sneak Preview

TonyB

7 hours ago, Arnaud Mez said:

Just to add a bit here:

Hey Guys !

Please, is Serif planing to add something similar to this the below in coming release of APub ?

5ad2afb91f3fe_ScreenShot2018-04-15at2_31_46AM.png.94a709e71cccb3362ef5e713129a316c.png5ad2afbc2e448_ScreenShot2018-04-15at2_32_43AM.png.08c5cd79477161d0f9e3af2678619d6a.png

i personally use "Apple Keynote" to do my small quick animations as it has good transitions etc... but having even a generic stuff like that can be nice (just asking if).

Cut them some slack, dude. The app  is not even out yet.

On 13-4-2018 at 1:48 PM, dpwhittaker said:

My one hope for the Publisher application is that the drawing and text tools will function consistently between the new application and the existing ones.  It's so frustrating that in the Adobe products, the drawing/text tools function differently between applications.

That's because they bought some products and didn't develop them themselfs. 

1 hour ago, Tourmaline said:

Personally I would opt for a stable basic layout program. You can add bells and whistles later.

Serif haven’t shown the slightest inclination to add animation features to any of the Affinity apps. If they have a change of heart, I think a DTP app would be the least likely target for the addition of such capabilities.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

3 minutes ago, Alfred said:

Serif haven’t shown the slightest inclination to add animation features to any of the Affinity apps. If they have a change of heart, I think a DTP app would be the least likely target for the addition of such capabilities.

Is not animation an entirely different ballgame? You really need a specialized tool for that. The only one that had that put together was JASC the original developer of Paintshoip and the companion Animation shop. At that it was a separate program although it integrated with PSP nicely

Affinity Designer 2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212 Affinity Photo 2.2.2075  beta 2.3.1.2212Affinity Publisher  2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212

Windows 11 Pro Version    22H2
OS build    22621.1928
Processor    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700 CPU @ 2.90GHz   2.90 GHz
Installed RAM    16.0 GB (15.7 GB usable)
System type    64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

yoda.png

5 minutes ago, Rick G said:

Is not animation an entirely different ballgame? You really need a specialized tool for that.

Adobe Photoshop can be used for simple animations. Serif’s own PhotoPlus and DrawPlus also offer animation features, and the latter even includes keyframe animation. I agree that you need a specialized tool for anything remotely sophisticated, but I don’t think that’s what other contributors to this thread are suggesting.

Alfred spacer.png

Not to mention, the animation tools in Photoshop are awful. At least PhotoPlus and DrawPlus had a more familiar method.

And yes, there would be no need to add animation in Publisher. Keynote is for slideshow presentations. Publisher is for printout publications.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

Animations are totally different area and if I can choose, better will be solo software like aftereffects compatible with aphoto or adesign file format. But... Publisher release time was pushed for years, and Photo with Designer is missing so much important features (selection depend on parameters etc.) It will be nice, if Serif will develope animation and filmic software, but I don't know, if it is actual topic..

It's too huge of an app, any 2D anim or video editing tool...not as ever changing context as the extensively debated web design wysiwyg tool, but the market status in those worlds is super demanding, of very high level, super complex, takes a lifetime to develop a really solid animation tool that could at least try to survive among so much fierce and specialized (for decades) competition. Some have said, addition as a light feature, so, not a pro thing...IMO, that's a dangerous road, a mix of "styles" of doing things. Affinity seems to be heading to the serious, advanced hobbyist, the freelance professional, and companies of any type, without leaving out, in any sense, home or basic users (but they are not just basic tools for basic users, by any stretch). 

Going back to products niches/target users (basic users only) with a scope like the legacy products had (still has ! These products are still on sale, just there seems not to be enough super high level staff to produce 20 products at a time), IMO could be a wrong decision now, business-wise. Most of all because also, these UIs are SUPER intuitive, so the basic user is covered, just like before (it was not harder to learn, those UIs than these. If anything, I like these much better ,they have a pretty easy learning curve) . So, adding a half baked feature, wouldn't feel professional at all, and reviewers could have there a weak spot to attack (and competition often pays some to do exactly that.. ) You can't fit a really good animation UI into an already full UI made for other purposes. If anything, most graphic apps, specially animation, at times do benefit in working with two desktop screens, as you need a complex UI setup. Again, no way; at least if you are trying to do things right. But that is definitely not my main point. Main is that they have already too much in their plate, with AD, AP, the tools for tablets, APub beta, and some other stuff they have some how ventured that could be done. Producing extra software, even if we read 'there is no plans for that', I wouldn't understand from it that will be impossible for ever. Only that unless some magic huge funding arrives out of nowhere, enabling to pay a couple of armies of seasoned ninja coders, chances of seeing the next Affinity Premiere or Affinity Effects (J/K, who knows if that might have already probs with trademarks stuff)) are not too likely, any time soon. But even when saying that "we don't have plans for that", some people understand that there could be a close future possibility of it, if giving pressure in the forums (?) (in stats, is close to nothing, I mean, in numbers). Different case is when someone spots a bug, or gives any sort of feedback, that is extra useful, as far as I've seen working inside some software development companies.

And I don't think is a bad thing to ask for new apps... It shows that you like the way of doing of the company, and/or its UIs, and/or the usage philosophy and workflows it provides you. I just mean that given the certain size of a company, one needs to have realistic expectations (not a prob if not, but is a bit of a waste of own's energy, too...) in terms of number of the top, pro market level, applications that it can create, produce, give support and maintain at a time...I have been working somehow doing 2D animation, 3D animation and video editing. And we are speaking about tools that provide very complex workflows, with demands of extremely complex functionality here. And super duper high levels of quality, accuracy, complexity expected, etc, etc.

Also, as a freelance and employee (as one switches the situation often), I don't see the point in waiting for....everything, even some days of delay can destroy any project or client connection. I'd just grab ANY of the so many free or mid cost apps already available, (or high end if one is fine with that way of doing, and finances allow) and many are wonderfully evolved and mature, solve my problem for whatever the gig or work at a company, and to the next project .I recon I do learn stuff as I get certain request. IE, I learnt to configure deeply certain e-commerce solution -bit too far from the profile of someone that pushes pixels and polygons-  just because a gig like that arrived... With software tools, the same. I tend to purchase, of spent the needed time with a free tool whenever my work needs it, rarely before. (years ago I was A LOT more geek about these things. )

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 and V2.4 Windows 10 and Windows 11. 
Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

On 15-4-2018 at 2:53 PM, Bri-Toon said:

Not to mention, the animation tools in Photoshop are awful. At least PhotoPlus and DrawPlus had a more familiar method.

And yes, there would be no need to add animation in Publisher. Keynote is for slideshow presentations. Publisher is for printout publications.

If you really had to add it, then Designer or Photo would be a better choice, certainly NOT Publisher.

3 hours ago, SrPx said:

It's too huge of an app, any 2D anim or video editing tool...not as ever changing context as the extensively debated web design wysiwyg tool, but the market status in those worlds is super demanding, of very high level, super complex, takes a lifetime to develop a really solid animation tool that could at least try to survive among so much fierce and specialized (for decades) competition. Some have said, addition as a light feature, so, not a pro thing...IMO, that's a dangerous road, a mix of "styles" of doing things. Affinity seems to be heading to the serious, advanced hobbyist, the freelance professional, and companies of any type, without leaving out, in any sense, home or basic users (but they are not just basic tools for basic users, by any stretch). 

Going back to products niches/target users (basic users only) with a scope like the legacy products had (still has ! These products are still on sale, just there seems not to be enough super high level staff to produce 20 products at a time), IMO could be a wrong decision now, business-wise. Most of all because also, these UIs are SUPER intuitive, so the basic user is covered, just like before (it was not harder to learn, those UIs than these. If anything, I like these much better ,they have a pretty easy learning curve) . So, adding a half baked feature, wouldn't feel professional at all, and reviewers could have there a weak spot to attack (and competition often pays some to do exactly that.. ) You can't fit a really good animation UI into an already full UI made for other purposes. If anything, most graphic apps, specially animation, at times do benefit in working with two desktop screens, as you need a complex UI setup. Again, no way; at least if you are trying to do things right. But that is definitely not my main point. Main is that they have already too much in their plate, with AD, AP, the tools for tablets, APub beta, and some other stuff they have some how ventured that could be done. Producing extra software, even if we read 'there is no plans for that', I wouldn't understand from it that will be impossible for ever. Only that unless some magic huge funding arrives out of nowhere, enabling to pay a couple of armies of seasoned ninja coders, chances of seeing the next Affinity Premiere or Affinity Effects (J/K, who knows if that might have already probs with trademarks stuff)) are not too likely, any time soon. But even when saying that "we don't have plans for that", some people understand that there could be a close future possibility of it, if giving pressure in the forums (?) (in stats, is close to nothing, I mean, in numbers). Different case is when someone spots a bug, or gives any sort of feedback, that is extra useful, as far as I've seen working inside some software development companies.

And I don't think is a bad thing to ask for new apps... It shows that you like the way of doing of the company, and/or its UIs, and/or the usage philosophy and workflows it provides you. I just mean that given the certain size of a company, one needs to have realistic expectations (not a prob if not, but is a bit of a waste of own's energy, too...) in terms of number of the top, pro market level, applications that it can create, produce, give support and maintain at a time...I have been working somehow doing 2D animation, 3D animation and video editing. And we are speaking about tools that provide very complex workflows, with demands of extremely complex functionality here. And super duper high levels of quality, accuracy, complexity expected, etc, etc.

Also, as a freelance and employee (as one switches the situation often), I don't see the point in waiting for....everything, even some days of delay can destroy any project or client connection. I'd just grab ANY of the so many free or mid cost apps already available, (or high end if one is fine with that way of doing, and finances allow) and many are wonderfully evolved and mature, solve my problem for whatever the gig or work at a company, and to the next project .I recon I do learn stuff as I get certain request. IE, I learnt to configure deeply certain e-commerce solution -bit too far from the profile of someone that pushes pixels and polygons-  just because a gig like that arrived... With software tools, the same. I tend to purchase, of spent the needed time with a free tool whenever my work needs it, rarely before. (years ago I was A LOT more geek about these things. )

If you want a really good video editor, grab this one:

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/nl/products/davinciresolve/

In the decades of activity I have seen too many software aspire to do everything.

Many 3d modeling software has become gigantic and confusing because over time they have attacked too many things.

See also Photoshop ... for graphics, for photographers, for illustrators, for 3d. in the end they become complex, confused with interfaces for some modern things and for other archaic ones.

Perhaps it is better to satisfy a certain sector of the creative world, to do it well and to update it with criteria and without overdoing it.

11 minutes ago, Filo63 said:

In the decades of activity I have seen too many software aspire to do everything.

Many 3d modeling software has become gigantic and confusing because over time they have attacked too many things.

See also Photoshop ... for graphics, for photographers, for illustrators, for 3d. in the end they become complex, confused with interfaces for some modern things and for other archaic ones.

Perhaps it is better to satisfy a certain sector of the creative world, to do it well and to update it with criteria and without overdoing it.

Amen 5.jpg

Affinity Designer 2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212 Affinity Photo 2.2.2075  beta 2.3.1.2212Affinity Publisher  2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212

OS build    22621.1928

yoda.png

51 minutes ago, AT.HA said:

4 months since the preview ,-)

Any news about the beta?

Thanks a lot.

Summer was the announcement. That can be until September 21st

I have friends that don't believe SPRING has arrived as they are still shoveling snow

cat-cheerful-face-smiley-emoticon.gif

OS build    22621.1928

yoda.png

3 hours ago, Tourmaline said:

If you really had to add it, then Designer or Photo would be a better choice, certainly NOT Publisher.

My response to this is the same as Rick G's response to Filo63.

Don't get me wrong, people. I love having animation tools, but each tool belongs in certain group. It's actually really good that Serif is working on keeping everything under certain limitations. When industries don't, it overwhelms those who are just starting out. Maintaining a balance is actually a very wise approach, not in just software but marketing in general. You know what they say, less is more.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

8 minutes ago, Rick G said:

I have friends that don't believe SPRING has arrived as they are still shoveling snow

Oh I know, and it's awful.

23 minutes ago, Rick G said:

Summer was the announcement. That can be until September 21st

14 minutes ago, Bri-Toon said:

Oh I know, and it's awful.

I was reading about winter storm Xanto at the weekend. It seems that huge swathes of northeastern US (Upper Midwest and Great Lakes) have been hit by heavy snow. Minneapolis/St Paul has had about 15 inches, and Green Bay in Wisconsin has had 2 feet.

Alfred spacer.png

4 minutes ago, Alfred said:

I was reading about winter storm Xanto at the weekend. It seems that huge swathes of northeastern US (Upper Midwest and Great Lakes) have been hit by heavy snow. Minneapolis/St Paul has had about 15 inches, and Green Bay in Wisconsin has had 2 feet.

Yeah and it's no good. It is mid April, and yesterday, I was actually freezing cold wearing a fleece. I actually needed a winter jacket, and the day before was so nice. Crazy weather.

Anyway...

5 minutes ago, Alfred said:

We've had 10-13 inches where we live in Northwestern Michigan (lower peninsula), and it's heavy, dense stuff. Also significant amounts of ice (frozen rain, ice pellets, sleet). For us it started last Wednesday, then took a break until Friday, and hasn't stopped since then. (It has been downgraded, for us, to a Winter Weather Advisory (compared to the earlier Watches, Alerts and Warnings) and may be over by 5am EDT tomorrow. Of course, it was originally supposed to end by 8pm Saturday, then 8pm Sunday, then sometime this morning, and now it's tomorrow morning. So who knows when it will really be done :) )

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

15 minutes ago, Alfred said:

Green Bay in Wisconsin has had 2 feet

That reminded me of this, reported somewhere in the UK four months ago:

Two-feet-of-snow.jpg.3c451fd68eba04c06259b133055cfe53.jpg

Alfred spacer.png

1 hour ago, Oval said:

Of course, the weather is not crazy, but it naturally reacts to crazy humanity. Lord, let brain rain!

True on that.