You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Publisher - Sneak Preview

TonyB

I know I am late to the party on automation, but I would like to thank Serif for including javascript in a further future release. However, automation is still new to me.

I just started learning AppleScript and (even though I can be a quick study) it is a pain sometimes since I am working with a heavily outdated AppleScript textbook made by apple and near complete lack of updated resources in the public domain.

Even though I now know a wide range of modern mac-native apps have an AppleScript library to work with, even the popular note taking app Evernote. I am glad that javascript is the more widely used and documented scripting language there is and it seems to be more structurally straightforward than than the english-like apple script.

And speaking of Adobe Muse:

Adobe Muse Product Announcement  
  As Adobe continues to re-focus on developing products and solutions that provide our customers with the most value, we are now announcing the end of new feature development for Adobe Muse CC.  
  On 26 March 2018 we will release the final feature improvement release of Adobe Muse. We will continue to offer technical support to all active Creative Cloud customers until 20 May 2019. Please see the Background and Frequently Asked Questions and Answers section for further details.

In my opinion this was one of the best WYSIWYG website builder. Especially because the interface was so similar to InDesign.

@Rick G, I tried OpenElement but the interface is dodgy and slow-working compared to Muse. It also has some bugs.

8 minutes ago, Bogdan said:

And speaking of Adobe Muse:

In my opinion this was one of the best WYSIWYG website builder. Especially because the interface was so similar to InDesign.

@Rick G, I tried OpenElement but the interface is dodgy and slow-working compared to Muse. It also has some bugs.

This is the best  WYSIWYG website builder which Serif should have bought out: http://www.wysiwygwebbuilder.com

I remember not long ago, helping a friend who only could use Muse -no coding (I mean, markup) knowledge - , and she had some outstanding probs as she couldn't do anything about it through the Muse interface. I just made what she needed with some easy lines, in a minute. Easy, and with no limits in design matters, obviously. Limits that the automatic tools force to have.  But yep, the top companies tend to produce be the best tools in the field. In its day Dreaweaver was quite decent (as from certain point, it didn't do anymore its own "take" in your code(it did in initial versions, just like FrontPage (ugh)), it was almost as using notepad, if you wanted), specially since did hit the MX version. Not surprised if Muse was good as well. Had a taste of it, but I hate any of those tools, so I guess I was -always will be- biased.... 

1 hour ago, Sam Neil said:

This is the best  WYSIWYG website builder which Serif should have bought out: http://www.wysiwygwebbuilder.com

And it definitely looks great in the features list , but am worried with things like these :  "Add custom HTML code with the HTML tools."   . So, one can't have a full code windows of the entire project (containers structure, etc) like in Dreamweaver? If so, can be as it happens with Weebly, which, despite the quite more fame of Wix, is much better than the latter, allows better control of html and css, and the output code is cleaner (this affects seo, loading times, coding maintenance, readability by others, etc) . My problem with that is that these editors (same happens with Jimdo (less flexible in what you can change in the code, but better in other things)) or in the easy builders that the hosting services provide... are mostly bits where they let you touch the code, but you have to follow a template, or a grid, or type of structure or all of that. And only can change a few things, very restricted. Or can use only some tags, etc, etc. That linked editor doesn't look bad, indeed. But for those able to do it by hand, makes no sense....Unless it produces absolutely great code, and is not a crazy mess to later on customize without doing a full rewrite... yet to find one (in many years) really behaving so....

There IS an advantage in this tools, I mean, for advanced use as well, but is shared with grid systems, certain libraries, frameworks, so , one could just do that, use frameworks but still code by hand... I am thinking that one advantage that -if done well-  can be considered  is that the people maintaining these wysiwyg, if they do it well, they patch stuff to keep up to date with browsers differences and bugs while rendering "standard" code, and the less standard, too. keep up to date with changes of standards, compatibility issues with jQueries, etc (so, one looses less time in dealing with those problems).  But again, this is covered as well by the people who make frameworks, grids, etc, so... One other great advantage is the responsive design features. This comes as well in the frameworks in the form of css classes, media queries or the like. Even just using the modern css tools, and the better rendering of today browsers can make responsive design much easier than it used to be. That is, one needs to fight quite less today against browsers compatibility issues, and responsive is sort of easier, plus we can have access to a lot more effects. 

I don't know, to each his/her own. I only know that sooner or later,  at some point one needs badly to touch the code....And then is when the "fun" begins, if the person in question can't even touch a line...

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 and V2.4 Windows 10 and Windows 11. 
Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

52 minutes ago, SrPx said:

I remember not long ago, helping a friend who only could use Muse -no coding (I mean, markup) knowledge - , and she had some outstanding probs as she couldn't do anything about it through the Muse interface. I just made what she needed with some easy lines, in a minute. Easy, and with no limits in design matters, obviously. Limits that the automatic tools force to have.  But yep, the top companies tend to produce be the best tools in the field. In its day Dreaweaver was quite decent (as from certain point, it didn't do anymore its own "take" in your code(it did in initial versions, just like FrontPage (ugh)), it was almost as using notepad, if you wanted), specially since did hit the MX version. Not surprised if Muse was good as well. Had a taste of it, but I hate any of those tools, so I guess I was -always will be- biased.... 

And it definitely looks great in the features list , but am worried with things like these :  "Add custom HTML code with the HTML tools."   . So, one can't have a full code windows of the entire project (containers structure, etc) like in Dreamweaver? If so, can be as it happens with Weebly, which, despite the quite more fame of Wix, is much better than the latter, allows better control of html and css, and the output code is cleaner (this affects seo, loading times, coding maintenance, readability by others, etc) . My problem with that is that these editors (same happens with Jimdo (less flexible in what you can change in the code, but better in other things)) or in the easy builders that the hosting services provide... are mostly bits where they let you touch the code, but you have to follow a template, or a grid, or type of structure or all of that. And only can change a few things, very restricted. Or can use only some tags, etc, etc. That linked editor doesn't look bad, indeed. But for those able to do it by hand, makes no sense....Unless it produces absolutely great code, and is not a crazy mess to later on customize without doing a full rewrite... yet to find one (in many years) really behaving so....

There IS an advantage in this tools, I mean, for advanced use as well, but is shared with grid systems, certain libraries, frameworks, so , one could just do that, use frameworks but still code by hand... I am thinking that one advantage that -if done well-  can be considered  is that the people maintaining these wysiwyg, if they do it well, they patch stuff to keep up to date with browsers differences and bugs while rendering "standard" code, and the less standard, too. keep up to date with changes of standards, compatibility issues with jQueries, etc (so, one looses less time in dealing with those problems).  But again, this is covered as well by the people who make frameworks, grids, etc, so... One other great advantage is the responsive design features. This comes as well in the frameworks in the form of css classes, media queries or the like. Even just using the modern css tools, and the better rendering of today browsers can make responsive design much easier than it used to be. That is, one needs to fight quite less today against browsers compatibility issues, and responsive is sort of easier, plus we can have access to a lot more effects. 

I don't know, to each his/her own. I only know that sooner or later,  at some point one needs badly to touch the code....And then is when the "fun" begins, if the person in question can't even touch a line...

Are you a web designer? You seems to know a lot about this subject. 

Yep, have been, not too long ago I was for 7 years in charge of all the web (front-end guy, working side by side with the ppl in charge of the back-end (ROR, mainly)) and print stuff for a company, had been in similar functions in around 5 more places (but of very different nature each time) and, as a big contrast, in other 4 companies, (game development) working as a game artist (2D (UI, concept art, texturing, pixel art), 3D, and also the g. design work and eventual web code, depending on the company). Since only a few years it is that I am full time freelancer, mainly illustrator (but some gigs come from time to time in the form of 3D or pixel art. ) 

Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

1 hour ago, SrPx said:

I just think if Affinity wants to release a tool in the new stable, they should seriously look into this. This is far better than WIX and Muse and anything else in this class. Yes there is not much of "Coding" but who really cares how you reach the goal? Granted some will want it but then again you cannot please everyone similarly APUB does not out put as webpages. It has a secret tool and it is the extensions which makes it even more powerful and you can just about make any third party code into an extension to use with the software "Visually".

2 hours ago, SrPx said:

Well, if a used tool (even a WHSIWYG one etc.) does produce/outputs well structured and readable associated code then it's Ok. Finally it's all just code those tools produce and thus it should be kept in an also manual editable manner. - A bunch of tools like Webflow, Macaw ... etc. claim to produce clean code, though personally I never tested any of those.

However, to me these things look always as been made first of all from designers for designers and thus people who tend to come more from graphical drawing environments (picture nudges) and which fear or are too lazy to code by hand in plain editors etc. Maybe they are otherwise overwhelmed by the complexity of code frameworks usages and the like, thus needing something which hides all that complexity out from their view. Even I often wonder, if they still do really understand the technical backgrounds and relationships of involved technologies here then.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

looking a bit more into their site... it reminds a ton to a very older thing, called HTMLKit, it also worked with extensions and also the html one was highly developed.... (but wasn't really wysiwyg, was an IDE. Still, the extensions concept, very similar). Oh, still exists ( htmlkit.com, seems now is prepared for LESS (a very convenient and "IN" CSS framework )) , it seems, and also seems is non related with that other company. And anyways, is totally a different concept, is code wit ha ton of helpers. 

Seems the one you say, which danger could be that being a download thing (instead of what weebly or Wix include, which is, you handle an online editor which obviously is always up-to-date in the server) and being the web sth that evolves so fast, the danger of desktop applications for this, is that they become obsolete little after downloading them. But seems a purchase (not expensive) gives you the rights for free updates until a major version. IMO the way to keep your customers. That perhaps means you need to update every year or every 2 years, as much. But that's pretty fine. For a tool like this, it only makes sense that you have it ALWAYS updated . It can become very useless just a few months in a frozen version, as the web is that fast-changing. So, clearly is a tool to be constantly updating (this or any web builder, or XHMTL, HTML, or CSS framework) those free updates, AND efinitely immediately purchase the next major version in its moment. These apps, if not updated with standards are worse for you than any other idea. So, this is very important to keep in mind. You need to be very in the update mentality, for sth like this. or one could render some disasters in the web....

Yep, these tools are not for everyone (I recon I like what I'm reading in that site) but for people knowing already to use those markup languages and CSS specification, it'd make no sense, as a lot of flexibility would be lost... I perfectly understand that people with careers very far from this kind of skills, would only be interested in a raw dump into PDF, if that works in this case....

7 minutes ago, MikeW said:

Pinegrow is a much better solution. Nope, not WYSIWYG in the pure meaning. It is a very capable development tool. If you don't mind learning a little anyway.

I've read about that tools. Seems interesting to me, and I guess you have first hand experience with it, don't you?

Best regards!

Yes, I have Pinegrow and have used it. I'm not much into webdev these days, but I would upgrade and continue to use it if I got a gig for it and a CMS was not part of the equation (well, with the exception if I needed to make a WordPress theme as it can also do that).

Thanks for answering. Also, another question: when you say If you don't mind learning a little anyway, do you mean the technical aspects (HTML/CSS/Another)?

Best regards!

v_kyr, I agree with all your post. Anyhow, issues showed up in my experience specially in my last stage as a frontend. So much that I had to finally ditch them all, even while latest years I was only trying to speed-up the graphical part. (the actual graphics + code integration) 

Finally it's all just code those tools produce and thus it should be kept in an also manual editable manner.

One other problem is maintaining that . If every body in a project would use it, no probs. But... in a company like in the ones I worked, never the case... backend people where on Linux, 100%. using IDEs or directly Emacs or Vim, hehe. It'd have been pure wishful thiking to hope any of those would install a Windows or mac and put there a Muse, Dreamweaver or the like . And is not the case only of being at a company. Also happens when one is a freelancer. I don't know other ppl, but I find almost always the case when I am one of the persons working for someone in same project, even if we don't contact, the freelancers, among us. So, me or the other one, needs to take the code (I said i don't do this web making activity, I mean, I mostly don't, but  from time to time stuff comes) and be able to edit it. yep, if is clean code,great, but also if the operation is just a someone taking the output from a person using that wysiwyg. But for example, just read in their page -of this site mentioned- that they don't do that well, they recon, in importing code files. That issues can happen there, as they have their internals, and they dump stuff in the best way possible in export (said here to be clean, i have not tested....) , but import needs to be converted to sth that their internals can work with. This means that a 1:1 with code, that can be edited constantly in the two directions, sth needed so often while making a site or web app, is not gonna be easy.

Anyways, that's me becoming picky and doing it wrong. As I am thinking as if the functionality was to make sites in the sane way, but complete sites, at a serious level. Not just a static output in web format for your publishing content already edited in APub. If I undrstood well. For that, an app like that would be pretty ok. And IMO, better than this one linked, the one that could coome in the affinity line, as the content exported in a native file, to be read as Affinity native file in import, from Apub into the new tool, would be much more 1:1, seamless, than a export from APub to some third party wysiwyg.  Anyways, that can be an extremly long wait, so, definitely, for the usage mentioned -which is quite limited- it worths it the purchase of one of these tools.  (maybe, it'd had to be seen how goes the import of APub content, or any import at all,  into that one or a similar web application of that nature)

1 minute ago, Mithferion said:

Thanks for answering. Also, another question: when you say If you don't mind learning a little anyway, do you mean the technical aspects (HTML/CSS/Another)?

Best regards!

Mainly it is learning the how to do something in PG. That is especially true for people coming into PG with knowledge of another application or having used a fixed-position web creator (like WebPlus et al). The more knowledge one has in those types of applications the harder it is to learn...sort of akin to learning APhoto when having used other applications for some time. The deeper knowledge of PS can make it more difficult than it could be when transitioning to APhoto, for instance. One "expects" certain function names or that like-named functions would behave exactly the same. It can be a hindrance.

another one I didn't know... besides being disconnected for 5 years (with ins and outs, as in the middle have configured small online shop, made some simple sites, etc)  is the fact that I tend to keep very far from those. But I'm getting surprised -slightly, as i predicted that this would not be an exception of how much all is evolving-  but in f first look I quite like it. A really good wysywyg , allowing FULL control (almost sure that's impossible) in theory would be BETTER even for when you are very capable with the web code, as anyway, if in charge of the concept/graphic design, mounting the thing by just well made css classes and chopping accurately the graphics, is not fast , or no as much as doing it graphically (BTW, Photoshop sectors and web export always produced a not too nice code, either...Lately... haven't tested) . So, an UI that allows mounting it all graphically, but using sth like the Chrome developers extension (or Firefox equivalent) to "inspect", select and double click or sth, to edit that DIV code, and even access the exact CSS class or property right from there, that'd be very much a time saver.  If the code exported (in general) later is garbage, that advantage gets 100% destroyed. So, depends on implementation. Is a graphical builder where you can edit code "in place" , graphically. if does it well, that'd be a win-win. But again, I need to see it to believe it, after so many other horror stories in the past....It does look like it might do it well, tho. Lol...seems the price is exactly the same than the other app,. in the basic license.

"fixed-position web creator "  ....WebDwarf used fixed position divs, that is, with position: absolute or fixed, often, and using pixels, not relative neither percentages. Do you refer to that ? Yeah, that's bad, Specially in this all for mobiles content times. Although, often  grids are created in bricks of pixels (at least the smallest "brick", the smaller container), just using the fluid grid concept, so, yeah, not issue at all, in any case. I'll dig that Pinegrow thing, just out of curiosity. Probably the other one, too. In an ideal world, one would prefer tools that would shorten time needed making sites, specially when the main activity is not making webs, anymore. But I'll see if that's possible with those two new things.

Ok. Seen the video. I quite like it, to be brutally honest.

It works A LOT like Dreamweaver did in its most mature years. 

Yes, this is for coders wanting to speed up, really, and/or people at least knowing basic concepts, tho I can imagine ppl with drag and drop intentions only can as well manage here.

I was almost to think...heck... why another DW? we all know already this does not work in a current frontend team, which tends to be linux focused....BUT....besides there's linux/mac/win versions (tho I don't see my linux colleagues much into this sort of visual apps, to be sincere) . But then I saw... is a kind of thing like DW was, but adapted to times, and supporting at least quite a number of things left out in most all other previous solutions  . To name only a short list of what I've just watched in the video, of the advantages I see :

- cross platform, in the 3, linux included, and while I never so it important for Affinity's current tools, for making graphics, it is for making sites, where rarely one works alone, be it a gig, or task in the work place.

- Supports Javascript ! That is, writing it and testing it, see if it works, etc. This alone would shine over any other feature. My solution, other than just uploading at least to our test server, was often to use a develpers' extension in the browser while visiting the page to be changed, and trying chunks of code thanks to that extension.

- Support for responsive. But this is a factor in common with things like that the other tool mentioned, Weebly too, even Wix (but not so much as weebly )

- Support for Bootstrap (a framework for UI elements, forms, etc, that is very practical and used in a ton of sites. It's quite important, very. Is not just "yet another thing". ) 

- Grids systems, like all the above, working inside the application !

- Server calls supported, meaning working directly with that in the UI , not a chunk of characters you would only leave there written, instead, sth you could dynamically make it work, so really study the site behavior, etc.

And this are only a few that i can remember right now, there are quite some more

On 2/6/2018 at 1:04 PM, Alfred said:

Welcome to the Serif Affinity Forums, @LassiP. :)

Not in the first release, and probably not even in the second. We've been told by Dave Harris (one of the developers) that right-to-left text support is likely to be several years away.

Ugh! Was just logging in to ask for right-to-left support...

Roadmap ? it has been already said that in summer there comes a beta....

And in the meantime, I guess they are busy with other stuff as well (brush engine problems, issues here and there)  with the other apps.

Rude comment before, and rude comment now (for a total of 2 posts)...nice.  They do not owe you more info than they already told you (quite a lot) . And no, I don't work for them, not in the slightest way one could imagine. You are not an admin to tell me if I can post (or what to post, or post only in the line of thought you like, etc) or not in whatever the thread.

In one thing I agree with you, I don't have the time. Cheers.

Time for a group hug

20031110-Pooh-Bear-Group-Hug.gif

GFKrXDB.gif

Affinity Designer 2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212 Affinity Photo 2.2.2075  beta 2.3.1.2212Affinity Publisher  2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212

Windows 11 Pro Version    22H2
OS build    22621.1928
Processor    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700 CPU @ 2.90GHz   2.90 GHz
Installed RAM    16.0 GB (15.7 GB usable)
System type    64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

yoda.png