You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Publisher - Sneak Preview

TonyB

34 minutes ago, ianrobertdouglas said:

A vector knife tool should have been in v1

A vector knife tool is on the version 1 roadmap. Do you simply mean that it should have been in the very first retail build? :/

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

13 minutes ago, ianrobertdouglas said:

A vector knife tool should have been in v1

Yes. Obviously.

And I would have picked other things that should have been in the first release. For instance, as regards slicing and dicing, I would be happy to divide objects with a line. And I would have placed real pages and (at least) bleed indication before a knife tool.

While I do get frustrated at work-arounds at times, Serif isn't a democracy. I am but a serf in their kingdom and have no say in things.

11 minutes ago, MikeW said:

I would be happy to divide objects with a line

So would I, Mike, but isn't that really just an elegant and versatile implementation of a knife tool?

Alfred spacer.png

10 minutes ago, MikeW said:

For instance, as regards slicing and dicing, I would be happy to divide objects with a line

Maybe I'm missing something, but so far as I can see you cannot. Boolean operations will close the curve, so I cannot arbitrarily divide a square, for example, precisely with no gaps, with a line. Or I expand the stroke and deal with the gap.

3 minutes ago, ianrobertdouglas said:

Maybe I'm missing something, but so far as I can see you cannot.

No, you're not missing anything. Mike and I would be happy to (be able to) divide objects with a line. That's something you can do in other graphics applications, but it isn't something we can currently do in AD.

Alfred spacer.png

Thank you, MEB. I saw the sneak preview of 1.7 and it's definitely encouraging. I hope we see it this year sometime. Or early next.

I'll stick with Serif. Like Macbeth, I'm in deep enough that turning back would be as long as going forward. I wait patiently for the day that AD has all the tools many need.

Some tools, like the one I mentioned, are very basic to any illustrator. Maybe I'm assuming, but AD from 1.5 seemed to get confused about what it is. Personally, I don't see the point in competing with Sketch. I hope when Publisher is out, some focus will eventually return to AD to not only round out its capacities in layout design of various kinds, but its capacities as a vector illustration environment.

The bells and whistles are great. But don't forget those who need to output only and pure vector.

Very curious about Publisher's functionality. Worked with ID professionally and ditched it after Adobe forced their wretched subscription model on their users. Switched to QX, but found many things, like creating properly working interactive pdf documents, couldn't be created with QX. I'm not expecting Publisher to have all of ID's functions in early versions, but I do hope that it will be possible to import ID format files at some point, analogue to the AD and AP psd import feature. Basic book creation with proper anchoring of objects would be nice for a start. Bearing in mind Serif has a shipload of work in developing Publisher, I'd prefer them to issue a reasonably well working first (beta) version, rather than strictly focussing on a date of issue. Postponing this date probably was a sound decision.

Home: https://vectorwhiz.com  : : : :  Portfolio blog: https://communicats.blogspot.com

Just waiting for Beta... nothing else to add to! :83_smirk_cat:

Heard about upping the price for all the apps. My 2 cents?
As a wanna-be pro-software, it's very, very fair priced. To be honest: good software costs money and I'd rather go with a 'pro' version, for a reasonable price (aka. small studios + freelancers friendly) and have the 'vanilla' version still for an also reasonable price available, so that hobby-folks and enthusiasts could still afford them. As long as you don't fall into the subscibtion trap, as so many software packages did.

Hell, even some note taking apps do the subscription dance, which is ridiculous imho.

So keep up the good work and don't overpromise and let us waiting in vain! ;)

// sort of freelancer // professionally designing things digital and IRL // products - gfx - light - UI & UX //

• Staff
32 minutes ago, Bomatick said:

Just waiting for Beta...

Thanks for your patience

nothing else to add to! :83_smirk_cat:

Er OK....

Heard about upping the price for all the apps. My 2 cents?
As a wanna-be pro-software, it's very, very fair priced. To be honest: good software costs money and I'd rather go with a 'pro' version, for a reasonable price (aka. small studios + freelancers friendly) and have the 'vanilla' version still for an also reasonable price available, so that hobby-folks and enthusiasts could still afford them. As long as you don't fall into the subscibtion trap, as so many software packages did.

Hell, even some note taking apps do the subscription dance, which is ridiculous imho.

So keep up the good work and don't overpromise and let us waiting in vain! ;)

Nothing, except all that, obviously ;)

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

I hope they don't up the price. Have been saving up for a couple of months for AP. If they up the price it'll be further out of my reach. I dream to be able to buy Publisher as well, so the longer it takes to come out gives me more time to save.

17 hours ago, Bomatick said:

Oh, for God's sake: No two versions please!

Ok, ok... obviously it were 4, 5, 6 cents or so! ^_^

Anyways, just to be clear JOBEYB & co: if Affinity was to up the price, because the package will be heading more towards Adobe, Corel & QuarkX, and thus takes cheap outta the time-energy-money equation, THEN obviously an enthusiast or semi-pro doesn't need the whole package, don't they?

Me as a small freelancer or, say, a small company/studio/whatever, this is a another cup o' tea.
Rather then seeing Affinity stumble and crash, I'd be happy to buy a pro-version, if this means they can compete with the big players and make good software.

Adobe isn't completely evil, or any other major, some of their stuff is just so sophisticated it takes hundreds of ppl to get them up and (keep em) running – and I heard even software engineers need to eat sometimes! ^^
...and I don't think you can make a competitive PRO-program on 50 bucks alone.

So yeah, have a 'hobby/starter' version for 50 bucks, since this is very fair pricing and everyone needs to start somewhere, and on the other hand have a real-pro version that's really competitive and industry-standard! :)

// sort of freelancer // professionally designing things digital and IRL // products - gfx - light - UI & UX //

28 minutes ago, Bomatick said:

I don't think you can make a competitive PRO-program on 50 bucks alone

Serif have obviously done the arithmetic and come to the conclusion that they can do exactly that. If they're able to sell (say) half a million copies at 50 bucks apiece, they'd be crazy to double the price and risk only being able to sell a fifth as many copies.

Alfred spacer.png

• Staff
17 minutes ago, Bomatick said:

Ok, ok... obviously it were 4, 5, 6 cents or so! ^_^

Anyways, just to be clear JOBEYB & co: if Affinity was to up the price, because the package will be heading more towards Adobe, Corel & QuarkX, and thus takes cheap outta the time-energy-money equation, THEN obviously an enthusiast or semi-pro doesn't need the whole package, don't they?

Me as a small freelancer or, say, a small company/studio/whatever, this is a another cup o' tea.
Rather then seeing Affinity stumble and crash, I'd be happy to buy a pro-version, if this means they can compete with the big players and make good software.

Adobe isn't completely evil, or any other major, some of their stuff is just so sophisticated it takes hundreds of ppl to get them up and (keep em) running – and I heard even software engineers need to eat sometimes! ^^

So yeah, have a 'hobby/starter' version for 50 bucks, since this is very fair pricing and everyone needs to start somewhere, and on the other hand have a real-pro version that's really competitive and industry-standard! :)

Our ability to produce professional software is somewhat governed by income from those products. Income for us is calculated by copies x price and our current price point is simply designed to produce the greatest income. Increasing the cost of the product will not increase our ability to make competitive PRO software.

19 minutes ago, TonyB said:

Our ability to produce professional software is somewhat governed by income from those products. Income for us is calculated by copies x price and our current price point is simply designed to produce the greatest income. Increasing the cost of the product will not increase our ability to make competitive PRO software.

Thank YOU

A lot of your traction comes from the good will earned over the years. Any move toward crippleware or screwball pricing and a lot of that would vanish rather quickly

Affinity Designer 2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212 Affinity Photo 2.2.2075  beta 2.3.1.2212Affinity Publisher  2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212

Windows 11 Pro Version    22H2
OS build    22621.1928
Processor    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700 CPU @ 2.90GHz   2.90 GHz
Installed RAM    16.0 GB (15.7 GB usable)
System type    64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

yoda.png

1 hour ago, Bomatick said:

You can see which standards Adobe has set in terms of price. Everyone thinks that a good program must cost 1000 euros. However, Adobe's prices do not arise from the utility value, but from the maximum possible exchange value. In other words, Adobe takes what they can get and not what the software is really worth.
Just a small example: When Photoshop was still sold, the price in Germany was always twice as high as in North America. No one here understood that. The anger about Adobe was already there before the subscription model.

I think we can all agree that on the price front Serif have done a great job and offer far more than what you pay for. I have never had to use Adobe as I have always used PagePlus and a software called Real-Draw Pro which seems not to be developed anymore so I switched to AD/AP and I cannot tell you what a joy Designer is to use. (User Designer more than Photos). Right now I am producing my very first book that was hoping to do with APub but it was not to be and I tell PagePlus is doing such a good job for 200 page book. So well done team. I have been using PP since version 3 so it is unlikely for me to go elsewhere. Well done to Tony & team for such a great effort.

4 hours ago, Bomatick said:

if this means they can compete with the big players and make good software.

They actually make *very* good software. And for a ton of years. They indeed have demonstrated their new focus (Affinity) to less amateur users, being now the target both amateur users and professionals.

Then think twice....I've seen that happening (as a completely professional user in several areas, having been both a freelancer and a professional with quite some high responsibilities as an employee) with free software even! And a bunch at quite a lower price than 50 bucks ! (wont mention a list of them to not do even more (than I often do) publicity of other brands..). Price is ONLY one part of the equation. Same way, I've seen total sinking boats being bloated apps with crazy UIs, and yet outrageously expensive.  I mean, through decades of software's history.

So yeah, have a 'hobby/starter' version for 50 bucks, since this is very fair pricing and everyone needs to start somewhere, and on the other hand have a real-pro version that's really competitive and industry-standard!

In my view, the focus is fully professional and the apps already are indeed , in many ways. Is very different to compare a young app and a very old, fixed and patched through decades suite, than considering it is a case of an amateurish group of apps, which, knowing A BUNCH of apps from other brands which indeed are that amateurish... I can tell you, is far from the case of Affinity. Is just a WIP, a work in progress at a younger stage than the arcane Adobe or Corel are, but imo, advancing way faster in strict comparison.

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 and V2.4 Windows 10 and Windows 11. 
Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.