You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Publisher - Sneak Preview

TonyB

2 hours ago, Arun Sarkar said:

I can install PP 9.0 in my Win 8.1 (64 bit) without any issue but it never run after installation :D

First try to run installer as administrator, the newer windows versions are more strict with permissions.

Then try to run as administrator the program. Otherwise you can right click and select properties on the exe file and try the compatibility tab, select there compatibility mode for an older version of windows.

I have heard there are other ways to run older software with emulation, but I have only tried virtualbox where I installed windows XP in there, to run some really old software I wanted.

Current Workstation:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5500 - MOBO: Asus B450 - RAM: 16GB DDR4 2667Mhz - GPU: AMD Radeon 7850 1GB
NVMe SSD: Crusial P3 1TB M.2 -  SSD: Samsung Evo 850 256GB  - PSU: XFX TS450 - OS: Win10

22 hours ago, nitro912gr said:

I understand that people need access to old files but how often do you need to edit them anyway?

I prefer to sacrifice backward compatibility for a better new program (so they can focus resources on making this new program better) and in that one time in a lifetime that I will need to open that old file, I will reinstall the program just for it. I mean you don't have subscription to adobe here, you can keep using the program for ever ;)

Also I have found it faster to redo something than to try to find ways to make it work in my current workflow and programs. Sure this is not always the case, but...

I agree. Most of the time I prefer to rebuild the whole file.
And counting on a new app which allows a great workflow is better than the ability to open old files. If it's possible to open old/other apps files, great. But if don't, no problem. Life goes on. 

24 minutes ago, The Boy Jeep said:

Can't come soon enough. Still struggling with PagePlus x9 and its shortcomings - a disappointment after (all) the previous versions worked almost seamlessly. x9 nearly made me look for an alternative - so Affinity Publisher asap please

The CommunityPlus Forum is a more appropriate place for this discussion, but since we're here: is your copy of PPX9 patched up to date? Although the original release was less than perfect and the first patch caused problems for many users, the second patch turned it into a very usable application.

If you're expecting Affinity Publisher to be able to do everything that recent versions of PagePlus can do, you're likely to be disappointed. I think we can reasonably expect APub to have a much smaller feature set in its first version than PP has in its nineteenth.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

6 hours ago, JesusSheep said:

I Was thinking of Upgrade pricing

Registered owners of DrawPlus X8 and PhotoPlus X8 were promised a loyalty discount when purchasing Affinity Designer or Affinity Photo, respectively, but it didn't happen. Everyone got the same generous launch offer, regardless of whether or not they owned a 'Plus' application.

Alfred spacer.png

5 minutes ago, VIPStephan said:

But they did get a discount, didn’t they?

I didn't. I paid full boat for it. Not complaining mind you but no discount was offered

Affinity Designer 2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212 Affinity Photo 2.2.2075  beta 2.3.1.2212Affinity Publisher  2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212

Windows 11 Pro Version    22H2
OS build    22621.1928
Processor    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700 CPU @ 2.90GHz   2.90 GHz
Installed RAM    16.0 GB (15.7 GB usable)
System type    64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

yoda.png

46 minutes ago, VIPStephan said:

But they did get a discount, didn’t they?

41 minutes ago, Rick G said:

I didn't. I paid full boat for it. Not complaining mind you but no discount was offered

Everyone who purchased the Windows versions of the apps within a week or two of launch did get a discount, but existing users of the ‘Plus’ applications didn’t get the preferential treatment we were led to expect. In fact, it had seemed as though existing users would qualify for upgrade pricing at any time, not just during the launch offer (but to be fair to Serif, matching up Serif.com customers with Affinity Store customers would probably have been an impossible task).

Alfred spacer.png

• Staff
22 minutes ago, HenriTB said:

Hi,

Will Publisher have  features such as "data merging" in Indesign or some tools similar to Easy-catalogue ?

Silly but those would be a big reason for me to buy Publisher.

BR

Henri

Sorry but Publisher will not have any data merging features at release. These kind of features will be added but we have no timeframes for them yet.

• Staff
41 minutes ago, Arun Sarkar said:

Will there a Copy-Paste Excel Sheet Data like we have in PagePlus? That will be great for me.

We don't have the feature at the moment but I'm not against adding it at some point. You are also assuming we have tables.

Today I had to do some work in Indesign, which made me think of Affinity. I'm still using CS5 because I'm not a fan of software subscriptions and my Adobe apps are still just kind of limping along on my Mac but I don't hold out much hope for them when I do upgrade to 10.12. Affinity Photo and Affinity Designer have allowed me to leave Photoshop and Illustrator so I'm really looking forward to the release of Affinity Publisher.

On 23/02/2018 at 1:41 PM, TonyB said:

Sorry but Publisher will not have any data merging features at release. These kind of features will be added but we have no timeframes for them yet.

Ok ...

This is something I do not understand as it seems to be a solid feature to add . Everyday I am making catalog and promotional booklet for supermarkets and retail shops. I can' imaging, on a daily basis, filling one by one every text block and pictures . With Indesign I just have my master pages link to an xl file with text and path to the images, click "merge" , tweak here and there the layout, assemble the booklet,then done ! Customers are happy and I am getting paid, so i am happy too ... except Adobe is taking part of it every month, like if Freelancers did not had enough taxes in France. :D 

Auto feeding pages would  definitely be an attractive feature . The one in Indesign is far from ideal and  it is necessary to  install the EasyCatalog plugin which is far from being cheap. I am seriously thinking of using an ill...#cought#..gal version. please help me to stay an honest infographist. :D  ... no pressure.

Anyway I already drop AI and PS for Affinity Designer and Photo, can't wait to have a look at Publisher.

• Staff
8 minutes ago, HenriTB said:

Ok ...

This is something I do not understand as it seems to be a solid feature to add . Everyday I am making catalog and promotional booklet for supermarkets and retail shops. I can' imaging, on a daily basis, filling one by one every text block and pictures . With Indesign I just have my master pages link to an xl file with text and path to the images, click "merge" , tweak here and there the layout, assemble the booklet,then done ! Customers are happy and I am getting paid, so i am happy too ... except Adobe is taking part of it every month, like if Freelancers did not had enough taxes in France. :D 

Auto feeding pages would  definitely be an attractive feature . The one in Indesign is far from ideal and  it is necessary to  install the EasyCatalog plugin which is far from being cheap. I am seriously thinking of using an ill...#cought#..gal version. please help me to stay an honest infographist. :D  ... no pressure.

Anyway I already drop AI and PS for Affinity Designer and Photo, can't wait to have a look at Publisher.

We agree that the feature is very useful, it just won't make it into the initial release. If we added all the features we think have value then it would take us another 10 years to release :) 

We hope the initial feature list we please enough users to count as a success but we know we this will not be enough to please all users.

On 12/14/2017 at 8:55 AM, Filo63 said:

all this is very exciting !!!

The only real concern is "compatibility" with InDesign files ... having a historical archive and having to rebuild it all is frustrating

Agreed. this is obviously an important possible feature that many will be looking for.

Actually now that you mention it, I think inDesign files compatibility is more important than pageplus, simple because it is more likely to receive a file from another agency or the client himself made with indesign. Nothing "personal" but inDesign is the industry standard now and the only way to "steal" users from it is to have compatibility with it's files, like designer open .ai and photo open .psd.

Will publisher be able to do this?

Current Workstation:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5500 - MOBO: Asus B450 - RAM: 16GB DDR4 2667Mhz - GPU: AMD Radeon 7850 1GB
NVMe SSD: Crusial P3 1TB M.2 -  SSD: Samsung Evo 850 256GB  - PSU: XFX TS450 - OS: Win10

• Staff
21 minutes ago, nitro912gr said:

Actually now that you mention it, I think inDesign files compatibility is more important than pageplus, simple because it is more likely to receive a file from another agency or the client himself made with indesign. Nothing "personal" but inDesign is the industry standard now and the only way to "steal" users from it is to have compatibility with it's files, like designer open .ai and photo open .psd.

InDesign IDML files are something we would like to support. The format is very large and complex so will not make it into the initial release but we will support them in the future.

49 minutes ago, nitro912gr said:

I suppose since current Affinity programs support the import of Photoshop and Illustrator files (and since Serif wants people to switch), it would be stupid if APub wouldn’t also support InDesign files, so the question is kind of moot. :)