You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Publisher - Sneak Preview

TonyB

On 2/11/2018 at 2:41 PM, Bri-Toon said:

Yes. Very true. On top of that, it can be hard on the seller for after a product is revealed but not released, the consumers may expect more than what can be given. And that causes pressure of releasing the product before completion when it's actually better to have the problems worked out.

+1

This limit has already been exceeded, unfortunately.

It is clear that there is not much awareness of the problems of software development.

If you're in a hurry, for an urgent job, you can hire indesign at adobe for a couple of months. If instead Publischer should be used for fun maybe, you can also be patient :) 

wait for publisher by 2018, this is the only fixed point :)

6 hours ago, Michelangelo_ said:

wait for publisher by 2018, this is the only fixed point :)

Heck yeah.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

On ‎12‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 11:28 AM, Grayhem said:

Just a quick thought..... Pageplus and Affinity Designer have an extremely useful 'assets' area.  Will Affinity Publisher have a similar feature, for saving your reusable designs and elements?

Just wondering if anyone know if Pageplus 9 is a reasonable alternative while waiting for Publisher?  It is on still available for £19 I think.

46 minutes ago, Gerard O said:

Just wondering if anyone know if Pageplus 9 is a reasonable alternative while waiting for Publisher?  It is on still available for £19 I think.

PagePlus X9 is available from here for £19.99/$24.99.

PagePlus was developed over more than a quarter of a century to get to where it is now. To avoid disappointment, l’m not expecting too much from the initial release of Affinity Publisher.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

23 minutes ago, Alfred said:

PagePlus X9 is available from here for £19.99/$24.99.

PagePlus was developed over more than a quarter of a century to get to where it is now. To avoid disappointment, l’m not expecting too much from the initial release of Affinity Publisher.

I started my computing life on PagePlus 3 and never looked back or ever used Microsoft word for anything written.

27972605_10215649250567310_806741102757034965_n - Copy.jpg

Affinity Designer 2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212 Affinity Photo 2.2.2075  beta 2.3.1.2212Affinity Publisher  2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212

Windows 11 Pro Version    22H2
OS build    22621.1928
Processor    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700 CPU @ 2.90GHz   2.90 GHz
Installed RAM    16.0 GB (15.7 GB usable)
System type    64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

yoda.png

2 minutes ago, AffinityAppMan said:

Does this mean that the BETA version of Publisher will be available soon?

No but we are still begging ... I mean waiting

Seriously I had to do this one but am not in any way trying to rush the process

AEN 1.jpg

Affinity Designer 2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212 Affinity Photo 2.2.2075  beta 2.3.1.2212Affinity Publisher  2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212

OS build    22621.1928

yoda.png

1 minute ago, MEB said:

Hi AffinityAppMan,

Affinity Publisher (Public Beta) will be available this Summer.

Month, day and time please? :D

(I know ... some month, someday and sometime) xD

I bet they are sorry they announced this

OS build    22621.1928

yoda.png

3 minutes ago, MEB said:

Affinity Publisher (Public Beta) will be available this Summer.

I hope we're still talking about summer in the northern hemisphere, not the southern hemisphere! :P

Alfred spacer.png

heh, I waited 12 years (2002 (was only a full 3DS Maxer then) - 2014, although I used it for professional gigs and at companies often...I mean to use it constantly for everything 3D, alternating less with other apps)  to use Blender professionally. At first I only used Blender for render and some animation. Still "uv-mapped" in Ultimate Unwrap (which is AMAZING, surely still better in that area). Once that stage I moved it to Blender too, still 3D painted with other apps (purchased the 2k bucks Deep paint 3D, ouch, in the Jurasic times). Not anymore, the 3D painter inside is really good. Right now using the sculpting more and more, and less Sculptris (external app), the last stage (the first in a project) is still in another app, modeling with Wings3D, but just 'cause I'm way to much of a crazy fan of that other one, and as due to this, am extremely faster with it) when it reached a point in which  I was sure it'd cover my needs - better said, what clients ask for. I mean, is a clever approach to improve workflows and integrate new tools,  which I'm using as well with Affinity in general : go using stuff as seems practical, not a full replace all of a sudden, just integrating them progressively in my workflows (to avoid getting stuck in the middle of a project) So, some tiny months for this really looks as a ridiculously small wait in comparison to that other case, of Blender, or similar integration stories I have had with video editing, web programming, vector tools, pixel art. Plus, people should IMO expect in summer a proof of concept, with a lot to polish and not complete, not a fully fledged product (and this is not the assumption I believe people seems to have here, according to their anxious posts ;) , as if they'll have a InDesign CC 2018 clone on summer). Probably more of an appetizer to be developed since then through the years. No application of certain complexity is developed this fast (by fast I mean a few years only), not one of this depth.

I see waaaay cleverer to purchase PagePlus now, to use it to cover your daily tasks (or Just Designer, if it's that simple), and if it doesn't cut it, use something else for now. At some point  -and it will arrive, for sure, patience is king in everything, btw-  it'll be there. I have needed to do less in this field, but a lot in illustration and more general image editing. In which, btw, it is extremely difficult to find a tool as complete and covering so much as Aphoto. I'm confirming this every day while trialing and researching on painting apps. There are tons of professional painting apps in Windows (I guess also in Mac) , but almost all have a terrible lack of general image editing capabilities at higher levels.And this is not as non-blocking or unimportant as some fans of those apps want to make it look like. At least not in professional workflows (but a  lot of those are hobbyists! ) IE, even having a "just fine" text tool, or at least some decent vector-like or advanced lasso features. Stuff very basic that is not any more image-editing field only, is needed right now in illustration as well. You can do all without them but your workflow suffers drastically and becomes much slower. like happens with the whole suite, it'd be a better situation once one can do more stuff at a professional level within the Affinity suite. But I have no real issue to make these mixed workflows for a while (because, unlike most of  those fans of specialized tools, I use a combo,w what one does not cover is covered by another) . Indeed helps my brain get even more flexibility in terms of capability of adapting to different UIs and methods. IMo is always positive, like all learning. helps also in abstracting your skills, making them (both in 2D and 3D) non UI dependent,  so any even radical change in an UI wont make your boat sink at any given moment. (like happened to me from 3DS for DOS to Max. Learned the DOS version during a master course, Max was just immediately out a little after, and required in every freaking company)

And one of my older tiny grips with using Affinity more often, which was not a deal breaker, was the need of activating Aero, as I am still a Win7 user. I just very recently discovered (would have posted this but didn't find  the right forum section for this) that after applying all the patches and other stuff due to the meltdown /spectra virus thing (which btw, do close to nothing for that), the machine became extremely slow, even for this arcane thing's typical behavior...I used to trigger only Aero when using Designer... Have left it permanent now, due to noticing two things : For some reason, the low performance after the patches went totally away once moved back to Aero, so I guess one of those patches somehow relies heavily in some Aero related stuff, so, keeping in the old way, makes the machine crawl like heck. Second reason is because... I guess this is maybe just a sensation, but after removing the typical Aero cr4p (transparent windows, shadows, etc) THIS  TIME it does not feel bad (probably helps certain combination of colors I used), even it feels better (my tutorials were only to diminish the sensation, not to make it go away ;) ) and most of all, snappier. Machine got a lot better, but still lagged a lot in random moments for no reason. Then I caught the freakin' bastard, one executable (I mean, an executable process in the task manager(well, my alternative utility for it), almost an alien there) introduced by one of the latest Win updates... it was one of those "preparing your machine for Windows 10" that do so much harm to performance. Removed the thing the polite good way (with a plasma ray gun of several megatons, of course), and now the machine literally flies (for an oldie but goodie like this, ofc). Funnily, back in the day Aero DID make things slower. But I guess also contributes the fact that all apps rely more and more in advanced graphic stuff, (and I mean all, system libraries, utilities, etc) so the result is ...performance. So... no more desktop switching xD. In case is useful for anyone, thought I'd share (bit OT, srry)...

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 and V2.4 Windows 10 and Windows 11. 
Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

Il y a 39 minutes, Kev D800 a déclaré:

Bindle to Kindle: un espoir d'EPUB.

Regarde cette pauvre âme.

Une reliure pleine d'histoires à raconter.

Il a besoin d'Affinity Éditeur rapidement.

Pour raconter ses histoires enfin.

Désolé !! Publisher est encore en lévitation.:D

In summer comes the lon

awaited publisher just in time

for page design

OS build    22621.1928

yoda.png

Page plus x9 is my current publisher, I use it for all correspondence, posters, greeting cards, etc and have attempted to use it for bublishing a book which it will compile through a master document just like others, and it is a great piece of software. It is the converting to a format that Kindle and Createspace will work with that is occupying my cerebal resources right now. Just hoping Affinity will be able make this less taxing.(sigh) No pressure you understand! hang on to your sanity :D. best wishes  Marj

I use PagePlus X9 now, but I missed under ebook export these features:

- export only selected page (only in PDF)

- do not export hidden layers.

These important, if I sign an ebook for my fans, and I need delete/add plus page to my book...

And I need special header format for print/PDF and epub export too, because I added more space before every header for printed/PDF version, but in EPUB/MOBI will I don't need these spaces... I have printed and ebook version now for same project.

I hope these features will be include in Publisher...

15 hours ago, JWilliams4422 said:

Will Affinity Publisher have Animations and Epub (Fixed Layout) like Adobe InDesign

I recon the first release will carry the essentials, and then the future releases will get into the other stuff.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

I'm a part time graphics designer, creating mainly web page visual elements, business cards and logos. I have been using Photoshop CS6 and Inkscape for ages and have been reluctant to purchase expensive Adobe license for my occasional needs. Then, couple of months ago, I checked out Affinity products and wow - they really shine. All the tools I need and the user interface feels snappy and has some clever functionality. -> Purchased

My client, who was really happy with a website layout and graphics that I created earlier, asked me to design two company brochures and two magazine ads. I realized that I will need a proper professional tool which supports exporting high resolution PDF with bleeds and crop marks for a printing house. Damn. Do I need to purchase Adobe InDesign license just for this? Maybe just for one month? Nah, the client probably needs updates every now and then as their product line changes. But then, after searching more, I found PagePlus X9 - very cheap. After watching couple of videos and reading some reviews I decided to buy it and give it a try. Bingo! It seem to have all the things I need for the job - spread pages, text flow between text frames, hi res PDF export with printing-house-friendly options.

That's my story. I'm very pleased what Serif is currently doing. And I'm not a big fan of what Adobe is doing these days - using their hegemony to build a stiff monetizing model which really does not feel fair for everyone. I hope Serif succeed with the Publisher and brings some healthy competition to the market.

4 hours ago, Bri-Toon said:

the first release will carry the essentials

As I'm sure you're aware, Brian, there's a wide range of views about what constitutes "the essentials"! You only have to look at the innumerable posts lamenting the absence of this or that "basic" feature from AD and/or APh.

Alfred spacer.png

19 hours ago, Alfred said:

As I'm sure you're aware, Brian, there's a wide range of views about what constitutes "the essentials"! You only have to look at the innumerable posts lamenting the absence of this or that "basic" feature from AD and/or APh.

True on that. What seems essential to some people but not others can be very subjective indeed, so I'll put it this way instead. Affinity will release what they think seems right for the time being, and then maybe they will surprise customers with other goodies needed features.

well for me designer and photo had from the start what I could call essentials, everything I requested afterwards (some of which are already implemented) it was mostly for my easy of use.

It is not like I couldn't get the job done, it was just that I could do it easier with some tweaks here and there (like the search box like fnt menu).

So I believe that when publisher will be out, it will have enough to get the job done and from there on it will be mostly additions to make the job easier.

Current Workstation:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5500 - MOBO: Asus B450 - RAM: 16GB DDR4 2667Mhz - GPU: AMD Radeon 7850 1GB
NVMe SSD: Crusial P3 1TB M.2 -  SSD: Samsung Evo 850 256GB  - PSU: XFX TS450 - OS: Win10