You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Publisher - Sneak Preview

TonyB

Will Affinity Publisher (and the later versions of Affinity Design) have a capability for different text directions. Being luckily able to actually write only English and Finnish, I have rarely needed right to left text direction, for example. Yet there is no shortage of languages written in different directions in asia, for example. I know, you guys do the best you can with what you've got. Just thought to point out the text direction -thing. If right-to-left text is already possible in affinity, I'm sorry for asking for something that is there, and hope some one will tell me how to do the trick.

Welcome to the Serif Affinity Forums, @LassiP. :)

18 minutes ago, LassiP said:

Will Affinity Publisher (and the later versions of Affinity Design) have a capability for different text directions.

Not in the first release, and probably not even in the second. We've been told by Dave Harris (one of the developers) that right-to-left text support is likely to be several years away.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Fired up indesign today to start a project after a lot of time (did smaller ones on designer), I felt so lost outside the affinity UI, I remembered how stupid it is that I can't just move view with middle click.

Publisher seems so far away when I need it the most :(

Maybe I can try my hand with designer but 28 pages are a lot to manage in designer.

Current Workstation:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5500 - MOBO: Asus B450 - RAM: 16GB DDR4 2667Mhz - GPU: AMD Radeon 7850 1GB
NVMe SSD: Crusial P3 1TB M.2 -  SSD: Samsung Evo 850 256GB  - PSU: XFX TS450 - OS: Win10

I made a 48 pages document with Designer. It has some thinks you have to do manually but it's still doable.

Best regards!

3 hours ago, nitro912gr said:

Maybe I can try my hand with designer but 28 pages are a lot to manage in designer.

Designer can handle 28 pages, no problem! In fact, it has a lot of the same tools as InDesign, so you should have no problem. The only thing you won't have is an easy way to manage text flows, where a block of text flows one page to the next, but other than that, the character, paragraph and text tools in Designer are robust enough to handle most of what you will likely encounter.

7 hours ago, nitro912gr said:

Fired up indesign today to start a project after a lot of time (did smaller ones on designer), I felt so lost outside the affinity UI, I remembered how stupid it is that I can't just move view with middle click.

Publisher seems so far away when I need it the most :(

X-Mouse button control can help you in setting middle click (or any other mouse thing, or key, or whatever) for panning instead of whatever the key or button does that in every single application, and you can customize a different behavior for each program. I have it permanently now (around 5 apps customized), and WAY more confortable now in my day by day work. It uses no significant resources, at all. Indeed, in my arcane machine -in my sig- I have not been able to tell the difference, and counting how much of a crazy stress I put to this good old thing every day...I'd have noticed even a little decrease. Neither noticed any collision or problem. I made a basic tutorial on how to handle it, in these forums, but that was so long ago, would be hard for me to find it fast now...

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 and V2.4 Windows 10 and Windows 11. 
Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

8 minutes ago, SrPx said:

I made a basic tutorial on how to handle it, in these forums, but that was so long ago, would be hard for me to find it fast now...

If you mean this post, finding it was very quick and not hard at all. :P

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

- shhhhh - I was just being lazy....thought no one would notice.... :P

Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

Lol , those posts are from the AP open beta times....

IMPORTANT: Please don't use it for the shortcuts I mention in that tut for AP or AD...I mean, there were some improvements in the apps, so that for those functions is not needed any more, those workarounds. Obviously you still can use it for any other shortcut or mouse gesture which you can't set with the current apps.

I tried it once but after the second page it was too heavy to work with, then again this was for a wholesale brochure with tons of graphics.

I don't mind for the text flow I can handle manually, but it is pretty hard to work without master pages, especially when the client haven't yet decided on some details and need to change things when you are done.

Anyway... I will give a shot, my deadline allow me to take it easy this week.

Current Workstation:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5500 - MOBO: Asus B450 - RAM: 16GB DDR4 2667Mhz - GPU: AMD Radeon 7850 1GB
NVMe SSD: Crusial P3 1TB M.2 -  SSD: Samsung Evo 850 256GB  - PSU: XFX TS450 - OS: Win10

Sooo looking forward to this. Hopefully in time for the 2nd release...This is going to make putting the books together so much easier...

About me: Trainer at Apple, Freelance Video Editor, Motion Graphics Artist, Website Designer, Photographer. Yes I like creating things!!!

Instagram:https://www.instagram.com/mystrawberrymonkey/

Twitter: @StrawberryMnky  @imAllanThompson

Web: mystrawberrymonkey.com  Portfolio: behance.net/allanthompson

YouTube: Affinity Designer & Photo Tutorials

On 2/8/2018 at 8:19 AM, Sam Neil said:

Has the date for BETA been announced? (Apart from Summer)

Not an official date, no. I assume this is because if the product still needs more work, it would be more fair to give an estimation than an exact date. That way, no one is disappointed.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

3 hours ago, Bri-Toon said:

Not an official date, no. I assume this is because if the product still needs more work, it would be more fair to give an estimation than an exact date. That way, no one is disappointed.

AKA the Affinity DAM ;)

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017) Mac OS 13 | 4.2 GHz Quad Core Intel-Core i7 | 64GB Ram | Radeon Pro 580 8 GB

Adobe Photography (Lightroom and Photoshop) | Affinity Designer 2 | Affinity Photo 2 | Affinity Publisher 2 | Capture One Pro (for now) | Topaz Labs Photography Suite | Fast Raw Viewer | NeoFinder

27 minutes ago, KC Honie said:

AKA the Affinity DAM ;)

There has been a lot of discussion of it being in the works, but as far as I'm aware (unless I missed a post) there was no announcement of its arrival or anything it will carry yet according to Lee D's answer here.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

4 hours ago, Bri-Toon said:

There are types of work for which is pretty difficult to estimate the total time needed, I'm afraid. Specially in things that can trigger tons of amazing new issues.... which also trigger another ones, etc... Maybe there are very few ex-gamers around... It is so common to see super expensive projects , AAA titles, to be delayed a month, 2, or even years. So many times that people is not overly surprised anymore...

On 2/9/2018 at 3:14 PM, SrPx said:

There are types of work for which is pretty difficult to estimate the total time needed, I'm afraid. Specially in things that can trigger tons of amazing new issues.... which also trigger another ones, etc... Maybe there are very few ex-gamers around... It is so common to see super expensive projects , AAA titles, to be delayed a month, 2, or even years. So many times that people is not overly surprised anymore...

Yes. Very true. On top of that, it can be hard on the seller for after a product is revealed but not released, the consumers may expect more than what can be given. And that causes pressure of releasing the product before completion when it's actually better to have the problems worked out.

I am anxiously waiting for the publisher launch. Hope you still have me listed as a beta tester!  I have several books for publishing to get into shape for a friend in aliling health and I am finding current software sadly lacking (since I am not going to jump on Adobe's waggon anymore) so hope the release will be soon, but, you must get it right so as soon as you are ready I will be waiting! Best :)

Marj