You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Publisher - Sneak Preview

TonyB

Amen to that. I remember all the PhotoPlus files that were abandoned and the answer was to reinstall that software and export them one at a time.

Affinity Designer 2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212 Affinity Photo 2.2.2075  beta 2.3.1.2212Affinity Publisher  2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212

Windows 11 Pro Version    22H2
OS build    22621.1928
Processor    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700 CPU @ 2.90GHz   2.90 GHz
Installed RAM    16.0 GB (15.7 GB usable)
System type    64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

yoda.png

But..if probably happens the same, and the file structure is totally different....(this is common when an entire application is new and does not share code nor structure with the legacy one)

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 and V2.4 Windows 10 and Windows 11. 
Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

27 minutes ago, SrPx said:

But..if probably happens the same, and the file structure is totally different....(this is common when an entire application is new and does not share code nor structure with the legacy one)

Hmm, It can import PSDs, PNG & even PDF files that have a very different structure. I see no reason that they couldn't have found a way to bring in the old Photoplus files or any of their other product files for conversion ... or add it to the batch conversion utility currently in PHOTO. 

I don't have a lot of PPP files but when Publisher is released it would simply be good customer service to give me a path to quickly convert them.. They might, again in the spirit of great customer service, add this ability to Designer and Photo. An outside utility for all their products would work

Affinity Designer 2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212 Affinity Photo 2.2.2075  beta 2.3.1.2212Affinity Publisher  2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212

OS build    22621.1928

yoda.png

Arun's route is what I have generally done since 1989. That is, edits are usually done in the originating application unless there is a compelling reason to move them to a different application. Then I will often just rebuild it if needed. 

Sometimes that has included using a pdf to get to assets I may not have. But still, I'll create a new document separate from the pdf copy.

16 minutes ago, Arun Sarkar said:

I have a lot of PP files (From 9.0 to X9) :(

I will create only fresh documents with APub and all old document with PP X8 and PP X9. Many time PDF route was suggested which I don't agree.

Arun ... it would be nice to be able to pull that 50 page document into the new program knowing  you will have to tweak it. It saves a lot of steps. If you are willing to not use all your PPP files that is great for you. But some folks spent a lot of time in the legacy Serif products.

OS build    22621.1928

yoda.png

3 minutes ago, MikeW said:

Arun's route is what I have generally done since 1989. That is, edits are usually done in the originating application unless there is a compelling reason to move them to a different application. Then I will often just rebuild it if needed. 

Sometimes that has included using a pdf to get to assets I may not have. But still, I'll create a new document separate from the pdf copy.

OK. I just remember having to load a ton of PhotoPlus files and then HAVING TO export to PSD for import into affinity.

OS build    22621.1928

yoda.png

6 minutes ago, Arun Sarkar said:

I have to use my PP (I used PP for more than 10 years with thousand of files) files that's why I will use PagePlus for those files. 

I am quite sure that PPP files will not import in APub.

And yes I wish too a PPP import option in APub 

Same here, it would be nice....

1 hour ago, Arun Sarkar said:

I have to use my PP (I used PP for more than 10 years with thousand of files) files that's why I will use PagePlus for those files. 

I am quite sure that PPP files will not import in APub.

And yes I wish too a PPP import option in APub 

Agreed

OS build    22621.1928

yoda.png

On 1/18/2018 at 2:47 AM, VIPStephan said:

But if the initial vision of the company was to provide a better alternative than a specific competition, and that competition is going out of business at some point (*cough* Macromedia), there is no “why” anymore unless you change that vision to something else that keeps you on the edge.

I suppose then it would be about casting a new vision for the company to strive toward. Maybe turning their company from offering competitive alternatives towards pushing the boundaries of what their software can do, always striving to be better than the status quo. You're no longer concerned with being better than your competition (if you still have any), but with being better than you were before. Such a mindset will, ideally, prevent the company from stagnating and becoming lethargic. Instead, they will seek to innovate and, where necessary, renovate.

All these negative comments on Scrum are discouraging. Not because I think it doesn't work, but because the things being described are decidedly not how Scrum is supposed to be at all, and that such disastrous implementations of it are poisoning its reputation. If you have the bosses working against their team(s), then it isn't Scrum. If you have management not putting workers' happiness as one of their highest priorities, then it isn't Scrum. Self-organizing, self-managing teams and a healthy work environment are at the heart of what Scrum is supposed to be. If you have anything else, then it isn't Scrum (or it is but something has broken and needs to be addressed immediately).

But yes, back on track, one of my hopes and dreams for Affinity Publisher is that it will have footnote/endnote capabilities, and those will be feature-rich and flexible. The main manual styles I use when setting up academic papers, theses, and whatnot are the Chicago Manual of Style and the SBL Handook of Style. When using footnotes, in the text body the note is superscripted of course, but SBL calls for the note itself to be normal and followed by a period, as is demonstrated in this official supplement to the Handbook. When doing everything in a word processor, it's just frustrating and laborious, and a lot of times you have to do a lot of the nit-picky stuff manually each and every single time. And more to the point, word processors are just not the ideal tools for lengthy and involved academic works. They'll do if they must, but they're just not ideal. Some DTP programs already available offer more footnote/endnote functionality (like Scribus), but that's if they're stable and don't crash, and you're willing to be even more frustrated with that than you are with the word processor just trying to figure it all out (again, like Scribus). PagePlus has footnote capabilities and they're pretty straightforward. However, they're not as flexible and feature-rich as I feel they should be. For example: If the note is superscripted in the text body, then it's superscripted in the footnote as well. No ifs, ands, or buts (at least none that I've found yet). I just want something that is at least slightly more robust than that, but still intuitive and a pleasure to use (or, at the very least, not a pain in the ass).

First off, I think your closing comment on Scrum is spot on. I saw it used in my organization, and we had the same experiences as the others here, and it all goes back to the cultural environment. Ours was not healthy nor happy, and they have jumped from one methodology to another in search of the illusive "thing that works". It is management using them as band-aids instead of doing a deep dive into what the real issues are. Does anybody here remember the really old days of STRADIS, with its shelf-long set of pretty binders? It makes me cringe to know how much money, effort and training was expended on it.

Regarding your comments about style guides and formatting conformance, there is a tool that actually does all of those things very well. It is called Scrivener, produced by a small shop called Literature and Latte, and it allows you to use whatever organization you want want when collecting your research and writing your drafts. then you compile your work into whatever format you n need, and whatever style guide you are following. Its genius is that the research and writing are completely divorced from the final output, giving you complete freedom while at the same time giving you the assurance that the final product will be properly formatted. Then you can drop it into an app like Publisher to do the post-production tweaking and cleanup. I have used it for years and absolutely LOVE it. I haven't used an infernal word processor for years now because of Scrivener. You can find it at https://www.literatureandlatte.com, and the trial is good for 30 days of actual use. Check it out.

4 minutes ago, Michael Sheaver said:

First off, I think your closing comment on Scrum is spot on. I saw it used in my organization, and we had the same experiences as the others here, and it all goes back to the cultural environment. Ours was not healthy nor happy, and they have jumped from one methodology to another in search of the illusive "thing that works". It is management using them as band-aids instead of doing a deep dive into what the real issues are.

Yes! The culture and environment make or break a team or organization. If it's not healthy, then no methodology will work well. They're tools to better the organization, not cures. I only referenced Scrum because I think it can be a great, effective tool (especially for software development) if implemented well. That's all.

8 minutes ago, Michael Sheaver said:

Regarding your comments about style guides and formatting conformance, there is a tool that actually does all of those things very well. It is called Scrivener, produced by a small shop called Literature and Latte, and it allows you to use whatever organization you want want when collecting your research and writing your drafts. then you compile your work into whatever format you n need, and whatever style guide you are following. Its genius is that the research and writing are completely divorced from the final output, giving you complete freedom while at the same time giving you the assurance that the final product will be properly formatted. Then you can drop it into an app like Publisher to do the post-production tweaking and cleanup. I have used it for years and absolutely LOVE it. I haven't used an infernal word processor for years now because of Scrivener. You can find it at https://www.literatureandlatte.com, and the trial is good for 30 days of actual use. Check it out.

Awesome! I've looked at Scrivener before, but never tried it because I'd been burned by so many other programs in the past, promising me the moon but delivering a disjointed turd. xD

But thank you for that insight! I'm gonna have to give it a shot now, for sure!

Looking forward to Publisher with baited breath. Absolutely am thrilled to be using Photo and Designer and not to have to use Adobe products as much any more. My wish here is that there might be an alternative to Dreamweaver in the gleam of someone's eye at Affinity. Hint, Hint.

All these negative comments on Scrum are discouraging. Not because I think it doesn't work, but because the things being described are decidedly not how Scrum is supposed to be at all, and that such disastrous implementations of it are poisoning its reputation. If you have the bosses working against their team(s), then it isn't Scrum. If you have management not putting workers' happiness as one of their highest priorities, then it isn't Scrum. Self-organizing, self-managing teams and a healthy work environment are at the heart of what Scrum is supposed to be. If you have anything else, then it isn't Scrum (or it is but something has broken and needs to be addressed immediately).

In my country, we had implemented a law for education which pretended to change everything upside down. The intentions were extremely good, I really had hopes for them,  realized that when studying the actual law, while preparing for an administration teaching vacant. But it did not take in consideration - at all - the complexity of its implementation, and most of all, what realities those measures will obviously find in real scenarios, not the real resources needed, neither the nature of the schools and high schools, neither the complex and delicate relationships among teachers-students-parents. And very sadly, a lot of later laws inherited bad stuff from it.

It seems to me it is a very similar scenario with Scrum. Maybe in areas (understand this as a region inside a country or even an entire country) were jobs flourish, there's a solid IT or etc market , so that there are enough job offers and therefor salaries are good -at least decent!- , bosses and employees have a more balanced relation (so direction can't extort / exploit the others) and really people is not fearing a massive sack at the next Monday, then that sort of thing is great. Or among teams working in some government administration (but this also varies from country to country). In places were all is already QUITE toxic, were people is doing unpaid extra hours, destroying often their family life, and were, not just Scrum, it is just one of the tools badly used, but many other techniques that seem to have been designed for a very narrow set of of scenarios, these new approaches are being used merely because direction, even after all exploitation, yet thinks they are not getting aaall the juice (or blood)  they could be getting (believe me, thinking on the employee well-being is a set of concepts very alien for some of us, sadly), then they go and contract some of these - insert the new book selling thing here - new techniques to use as a new form of pressure and control. But of course, it does not work, even not in the long run, and bosses are making everything else - also - wrong. And even more: what I did read in those times, as was really amazed that such things could come from in-depth studies (probably planned mainly for Silicon Valley or dunno where) from what is real life team work, I did my research, and yeah, they were only applying a portion of that, and very wrongly (the key is I don't blame only the bosses or other people at the company , I do mostly with the initial creators and promoters of these theories), and only in a way that damages the worker-direction relationship, besides never ever benefiting the employee in any way one can imagine, and very specially, becoming a royal obstacle for the worker's tasks and team work, bloating the day organization. Why is not considered all this before promoting things like this worldwide as a new mantra that every single company in every single place, culture, every set of circumstances a company has (really problematic when applied to a sinking company, is the grace shot) it just escapes my understanding.  At some point - and I have perceived some winds of change, but who knows, crap floats, it always goes back to surface -  some of the new tendencies, I mean -as these exist already- the trend will perhaps go more massively accepted and adopted as the new IN thing, it might go more in the line of trusting way more on so simple and natural (which good companies have always applied by instinct, ) solutions (no need of a theory or book for this...) which focus in employees' motivation, but real one (not trying to motivate with own's boss's ones -anyone seen The Office, UK or US, will have a vivid image of this) and their well-being, then we all will have won the battle and the war (all as in bosses AND employees AND the actual production) they'll get a boost in productivity, every time. If it does not work with some employees, rarely anything else will ! Once they start to consider them mates, colleagues that will help their business to grow and even skyrocket climb, that they have thinking minds that can help the company, then the succeed will be way nearer for whatever  the company.

These things, when (to start with) are never a work in common with long term workers, who know a thing or two of how teams are best managed, how to handle certain motivation/personalities issues of some workers (which, knowing how to deal with, can become great for the company), etc, and yet instead apply to them the whatever general rule and trendy theory, and when are simply used as yet another form of pressure in these environments (trust me, they don't need more pressure), are only going to be perceived very negatively by workers. Even worse, associated non consciously to bad things. The direction ends up realizing this as they at least look at the stats. It slowly fades away, and barely maintain the name of it instead of calling it a meeting and a whatever the term was before for whatever the existing thing like before, doing so just to not recognize they failed horrendously. What I could see in my experience, even did drive (or contributed to) a ton of workers to walk away from the company (I'd be rich if I'd have get a cent for every time I've seen a key brain and resource for a company leave for the dense stupidity/anachronic price of  management circles, but this would be another theme). 

We are in a global world and all that pretty discourse, but first, there's a point in time that has to come for some of these promoted things to be taken by companies at least with a pinch of salt (not saying can't be applied in more ideal environments). And stick to what worked always for them, and innovate not because is the freaking trend, but just applying the things that a direction might feel that would work with the real circumstances of the specific company. Not just sth to mention very proud in the next PR blog post about "my company" style.

And also would be great if these theorists considered not only nicely paid happy employees never doing unpaid extra hours (so many that many of us balanced that with so many hours given as a gift, we better off doing our own freelancing thing ! ), and where the whatever boss/direction would be tempted to see it as the new magic thing (which later it never is, it only pisses off workers who eventually leave, or just get high demotivation, damaging drastically productivity, of the entire company)

This is from a multi profiled worker, very long experience at 10 IT companies, and even worked in pre-scrum times as an intermediate team manager. I always had zero probs while integrating in a team asa  worker, and definitely having no diva attitude. The guy you always see creating good ambience/environment and never obstructing. So, what I detected in some places where this was used, you can (but you don't have to, obviously) trust that it is (at least in many real life scenarios), what I've told above. 

A set of techniques that only work in ideal circumstances and can be a cause for drastically slowing down really fast paced environments, and help some extra abuse can be, inside a company..really evil. I've seen it. Maybe is the opposite of what the theory is all about. I tell you what I lived. You may scratch all I said, is a dump from real experience, but no one is supposed to believe it, or anything written in a forum, of course. I can only tell you what happened in every case, to each his/her own with it...

Self-organizing, self-managing teams and a healthy work

You wouldn't believe me, but in my last company, were I lasted indeed more years, this is what we had (and quite good responsible people, and micro teams very capable, micro-managing working pretty well) this was working definitely better before the bad tries of implementing scrum techniques.

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 and V2.4 Windows 10 and Windows 11. 
Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

7 minutes ago, spinko said:

hem, any news on APub ? Is there a beta link ? thx.

Summer is what they said

OS build    22621.1928

yoda.png

17 minutes ago, VIPStephan said:

When did they say they were doing so?

You can ask nicely but not demand!

Hi.

Here Matt told that they are doing it.

Best regards!

hi, 

please consider an integration of video clips in the created publisher documents. At the moment this is only possible in web pages but for manuals etc, electronic documents this will be very helpful and if I can open the final document in a pdf reader or in an auto-open mode I feel this will be a good advantage and offering new possibilities. Michael

46 minutes ago, peene.biber said:

hi, 

please consider an integration of video clips in the created publisher documents. At the moment this is only possible in web pages but for manuals etc, electronic documents this will be very helpful and if I can open the final document in a pdf reader or in an auto-open mode I feel this will be a good advantage and offering new possibilities. Michael

Also enormous file size, some kind problems according to video codecs and formats. Better way is linking to streaming media platform such as Youtube or Vimeo.

Man I'm a big fan of wishes and always love these wish concerts, hey and while we're already at it and I miss that one most urgently, can I ask for a button which when clicked will then cook coffee and wash the car? - Keep on coding guys ... (;))

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

Here you go

Coffee Machine.gif

800px_COLOURBOX8635496.jpg

OS build    22621.1928

yoda.png

30 minutes ago, Rick G said:

Here you go

Coffee Machine.gif

That's a great find, Rick! (You can see more of Maori Sakai's wonderful work, including some other coffee-related stuff, here.)

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)