You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Publisher - Sneak Preview

TonyB

On 1/11/2018 at 2:24 PM, jmwellborn said:

Right you are!!  It is extortion by Adobe to make someone pay a monthly fee to access one's own previously published books for an update or two.  Affinity Photo is a truly beautiful application, with very elegant documentation and tutorial videos.  Publisher will surely be the same. And it will be a snap to learn, I am sure.  I have used publishing software since Pagemaker 3 (around 1988) and most recently was stuck with InDesign CS6.  Which no longer works with MAC Sierra, never mind High Sierra.  The sample video for Publisher looks superb.  Cannot wait!!

Greed is the problem. Young innovative greators start falling behind the technology and become conservative money grabbers now only interested in conserving executive compensation. It is a pattern that is repeated consistently. It is often accompanied by  arrogance in the form of "we know better than you" and even assuming that we the great unwashed cannot have such lofty thoughts as they. Multiply that by 10x if nepotism is involved

Jeff Bezos of Amazon was looking for ways to avoid the  eventual corporate decay. I wonder if he can find a way to avoid it? It will most probably require the entire senior staff stepping aside and letting the next generation run with it

Affinity Designer 2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212 Affinity Photo 2.2.2075  beta 2.3.1.2212Affinity Publisher  2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212

Windows 11 Pro Version    22H2
OS build    22621.1928
Processor    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700 CPU @ 2.90GHz   2.90 GHz
Installed RAM    16.0 GB (15.7 GB usable)
System type    64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

yoda.png

On 12. Januar 2018 at 1:33 AM, Michael Sheaver said:

Ain't that the truth? And it's such a beautifully phonetic one, to boot! :D

My favorite one is how the Brits pronounce "aluminum": al-lu-min-ee-um. The first time I heard that, it was on a Youtube video, and I was like, "What is that?" LOL

Is there anything better than ELEVEN ?

'If I say "I am getting the next train to Nottingham" I mean the next train not the one after the next one.

Likewise next summer means the next one not the one after the next.  (How can that even make sense?)

If it's a Monday and I say let's all meet at the Pub next Saturday, I would not expect to be sitting there on my own with everyone else turning up a week later.

If I am next in the queue at the doctors I expect to see him/her next, not to have someone else jump in front of me saying... "next, means after me".

Englanders are renowned for their queuing etiquette but if you start messing with what "Next" means then there will be riots on the streets.'

I agree with the next train and next in the queue but the pub example always gets English speaking people arguing. If it is Monday and you say next Saturday, I guarantee you at least one of your friends will ask 'do you mean this Saturday or next Saturday?' I have heard this argument come up many, many times, correctly or incorrectly I might add. I am not claiming this to be 'correct' english but from my 40 years experience in the UK this is how some British people use 'next' when referencing time (** I should state although I am born and bread in Britain, I do not claim to be an expert on the peculiarities of the English language (of which there are many)).

According to previous forum posts it is at this point customary to slag off Nottingham or people from there but I will leave that to the 'next' poster, they have enough problems already ;) tee hee hee... sorry couldn't resist

2 hours ago, jimbojetset2 said:

I should state although I am born and bread in Britain, I do not claim to be an expert on the peculiarities of the English language

Irony alert! (Sorry, couldn’t resist, as somebody famous once said.) :P

Great username, by the way, @jimbojetset2. :)

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• Staff
1 hour ago, LibreTraining said:

And better quality.
How about an actual screen recording where you can actually see what is happening?

But then it wouldn't be a teaser/sneak preview  ;)

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

10 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

But then it wouldn't be a teaser/sneak preview  ;)

(I bet you're sorry you started this thread) :D

Affinity Designer 2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212 Affinity Photo 2.2.2075  beta 2.3.1.2212Affinity Publisher  2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212

OS build    22621.1928

yoda.png

35 minutes ago, Rick G said:

(I bet you're sorry you started this thread) :D

But it was @TonyB, not Patrick, who started it! ;)

Alfred spacer.png

55 minutes ago, Alfred said:

TonyB is in hiding. I bet PATRICK is sorry this thread was started 

banghead.gif

LOL pound 1.GIF

OS build    22621.1928

yoda.png

23 minutes ago, Alfred said:

Maybe Patrick was the next Serif contributor. :)

(Incidentally, @carl123, if the doors have just opened and the queue has just newly formed, is the first person in the queue still the "next in the queue"?)

2 hours ago, LibreTraining said:

How about an actual screen recording where you can actually see what is happening?

If the exact interface is not yet set in stone, a clearer recording may not be helpful. Besides, you don't want give your competitors too much of a heads-up before your product hits the market.

Already I can see plenty in that sneak preview, along with the usual great Affinity interface design. :15_yum:

On 13/01/2018 at 5:18 AM, carl123 said:

If I say "I am getting the next train to Nottingham" I mean the next train not the one after the next one.

Agreed. There's no (room for) ambiguity there.

On 13/01/2018 at 5:18 AM, carl123 said:

Likewise next summer means the next one not the one after the next.  (How can that even make sense?)

No, not likewise. You might say, "This summer I'm going to Nottingham, but next summer I'll venture farther afield."

Alfred spacer.png

Hahahaha good call, sorry I meant 'bred'. Crap I just undermined all my own arguments! Doh!

So the preview is looking awesome and much better than I think a lot of people on the forums were expecting. I'm sure this has already been spotted by the eagle eyed, but why is the user setting up spreads on single pages, do you think it is because AP isn't able to drag and drop pages next to each other in the page overview tab yet? Or just personal preference? A small difference to the way Indesign works, but it could indicate a completely different approach to setting up page sizes and relationships?

5 hours ago, Alfred said:
On 1/13/2018 at 4:18 PM, carl123 said:

If I say "I am getting the next train to Nottingham" I mean the next train not the one after the next one.

Agreed. There's no (room for) ambiguity there.

Admittedly it's an isolated edge case, a very small room (the smallest room in the house, perhaps? ¬¬), but maybe there is enough room to fit in a tiny amount of pleasing ambiguity.

If the train to Nottingham has not yet arrived, but is visibly approaching along the track, and I'm sitting on the platform typing a reply to the Affinity forum, and a well-meaning bystander says "You should probably finish that up now", I think I can reply "Nah, no hurry, I am getting the next train to Nottingham", which might be ... the one after the "next" one. o.O

So much meaning comes from context, neh?

4 hours ago, jimbojetset2 said:

I'm sure this has already been spotted by the eagle eyed, but why is the user setting up spreads on single pages, do you think it is because AP isn't able to drag and drop pages next to each other in the page overview tab yet?

My guess is that it's more about how a reader spread is displayed and labeled.

I can see page numbers 1 (single right-hand page), 2, 6[maybe], 8[probably], 10, 12, 14, and 4 (not sure what's happening there), indicating that most of the odd-numbered pages are present but not labeled.

So I'm guessing that rather than "Page 10 and 11", for example, both the label and the display show "Page 10" (with an implied "and yes, of course, page 11 but I'm not displaying that because you've set the view to show spreads, not individual pages. Change the view back to pages if you want to see each page separately).

Of course, I'm guessing wildly from very little evidence ("'T is clear enough the Elephant Is very like a tree!")

2 hours ago, obtusity said:

Admittedly it's an isolated edge case, a very small room (the smallest room in the house, perhaps? ¬¬), but maybe there is enough room to fit in a tiny amount of pleasing ambiguity.

If the train to Nottingham has not yet arrived, but is visibly approaching along the track, and I'm sitting on the platform typing a reply to the Affinity forum, and a well-meaning bystander says "You should probably finish that up now", I think I can reply "Nah, no hurry, I am getting the next train to Nottingham", which might be ... the one after the "next" one. o.O

So much meaning comes from context, neh?

If the train to Nottingham has not yet arrived but is visibly approaching along the track, then it has as good as arrived, at least for the purpose of having a "this" and a "next" to distinguish between (or "between which to distinguish", for those who cling to the view that you should never use a preposition to end a sentence with). Nice links, though. :)

Alfred spacer.png

On 1/13/2018 at 2:11 PM, Rick G said:

Greed is the problem. Young innovative greators start falling behind the technology and become conservative money grabbers now only interested in conserving executive compensation. It is a pattern that is repeated consistently. It is often accompanied by  arrogance in the form of "we know better than you" and even assuming that we the great unwashed cannot have such lofty thoughts as they. Multiply that by 10x if nepotism is involved

Jeff Bezos of Amazon was looking for ways to avoid the  eventual corporate decay. I wonder if he can find a way to avoid it? It will most probably require the entire senior staff stepping aside and letting the next generation run with it

According to Simon Sinek in Start With Why, this is probably due to the heads of the company losing sight of their why (the company's vision, why it exists—if they ever had one to begin with) and leading their company to a "split." The split is when the why becomes more and more unclear, causing the company to focus more and more on what they do and (to a lesser or greater degree) how they do it.

This is a danger for all companies, even those founded by great visionaries. If the reason the company exists is not instilled into the company and passed on to successive generations, it will inevitably derail and devolve into typical corporate practices. This is why many companies with a healthy sense of who they are and why they exist often hire and promote from within.

It is my hope that more and more software companies (both big and small) would remember their why and then, ideally, use Scrum as their how.

But if the initial vision of the company was to provide a better alternative than a specific competition, and that competition is going out of business at some point (*cough* Macromedia), there is no “why” anymore unless you change that vision to something else that keeps you on the edge.

Good morning. 

At the moment, it is necessary to bear in mind that a company must provide a quality product, work quickly, efficiently and at reasonable cost (be competitive). 

Sérif understands this very well and strives to provide tools that meet the needs of image professionals.

But it's a long job, because the specific needs of each person are different.

It is therefore necessary to make a choice that is not always the one we hope for and some people may feel forgotten. That's why it's important to express yourself.

But we can express ourselves without verbal violence and with courtesy (fair play). The ideal software does not exist.

I visited an Adobe forum, believe me, the reported bugs are numerous, the requests of functionalities, just as numerous.

Arrogance reigns there too, and that is a shame.

I have the impression that Serif is more attentive, closer to its users than Adobe. 

It's ONLY my feeling.

Yours sincerely.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (Sorry).

5 hours ago, jrutled3 said:

According to Simon Sinek in Start With Why, this is probably due to the heads of the company losing sight of their why (the company's vision, why it exists—if they ever had one to begin with) and leading their company to a "split." The split is when the why becomes more and more unclear, causing the company to focus more and more on what they do and (to a lesser or greater degree) how they do it.

This is a danger for all companies, even those founded by great visionaries. If the reason the company exists is not instilled into the company and passed on to successive generations, it will inevitably derail and devolve into typical corporate practices. This is why many companies with a healthy sense of who they are and why they exist often hire and promote from within.

It is my hope that more and more software companies (both big and small) would remember their why and then, ideally, use Scrum as their how.

When they can no longer innovate they accumulate. As for scrum ... agreement to a point from someone who relished finding a better, easier way to get something done. (my computer is filled with batch files :D) But too often scrum is a manager blindly yelling "make it happen" or firing people to "save money" leaving an impossible workload for those who are left. THey will do the best they can but then parts of the business starts failing. Watch their customer support help desks and you will get a good idea of where a company is. That is the first place they cut.

It often amazes me how corporations will squeeze the pennies so thightly in their fist that they miss the dollars flowing out the bottom.

OS build    22621.1928

yoda.png

On 12/15/2017 at 6:01 PM, pixelschubsen said:

We are desperate waiting for an After Effects killer too ;) 

Motion has been mentioned a few times; if you don't mind a rather different approach, check out Fusion (from BlackMagic Design) too - it is node-based rather than layer-based but if you can wrap your head around it that actually provides a lot more flexibility.  Free version too.

17 minutes ago, fde101 said:

Motion has been mentioned a few times; if you don't mind a rather different approach, check out Fusion (from BlackMagic Design) too - it is node-based rather than layer-based but if you can wrap your head around it that actually provides a lot more flexibility.  Free version too.

I recently discovered BMD Fusion myself, and I absolutely LOVE it. The node-based approach they use is actually quite easy to use, very flexible, and they built animation capabilities into just about every conceivable option inside every object, tool or asset. The level of control that they give graphic artists in actually mind-boggling. You even have the ability to set up custom slider controls that allow you to fine tune animation effects on any property of any node. AND they give you all this insane capability in the free version with no limits. So yes, I suggest anyone to give it a try.

Argh, scrum.... No thanks. Maybe in some hidden place in the North Pole someone uses it in a correct way... In my own very long experience, was mostly to pay a "clever guy" for some very inefficient classes/training for the company, to pay him outstanding chunks of money, even forced to buy his book, and later on, just do the freaking same meeting of always, just standing up and shorter, WAY less effective than what the ppl in "the machines room" we already did since... always, and much more effectively. The prob is way more simple. At the moment the bosses start playing against the team instead of working with the people, the ship starts a slow (or fast) sinking. Not even workers recycling (I mean rotation, people given the sack), new contracts (this is the Dodo way to solve a big problem). Scrum, and a ton of books and methodologies wont do what even a traditional family business that I knew did always so much better than any other company on which I did put  my foot on : They just care about the people, and left the ego issues at home. They were humble and hard working. They weren't bosses to feel powerful (that is, with a non fixed mental issue) or to work less and earn more. No need for more than what those just did in their everyday... Other than that, employees need -and bosses, as are another piece of the machine-  to ALWAYS have kind of a red light ON to detect if what they are making, could be made faster, and better (a combination of the two is the key). Yet tho at some point one needs to stick to a plan and work done. I've also known those constantly changing things and breaking others' work just to justify the overpaid salary for doing close to nothing.... I've seen all sort of magic herbs sellers, but all is reduced to the above mentioned. Amazingly simple, as a lot of things of beauty in this world.

A bit more on topic, I dunno others, but after having used quite some software through the years, my own conclusion is that one chooses not only an specific application (well in many cases, that's all I'd analyze ! No need for more), in many situations, one chooses a style, a way of doing things, an specific team, with its circumstances. One knows is opting for a certain way of doing from the company, its limitations, resources, release rate, usual bugs, UI philosophy, etc. So, shouldn't be as surprised about some logical, expected stuff. Besides what's said above, PS and rest of the suite (AI, etc) do have too a ton of issues (some certainly annoying, in the apps, but also in the reaction to users, etc. In relation to users, my humble opinion, Serif is among THE VERY BEST, not just of the today's overall market, but computed in general, in decades. Starting with very affordable prices for a lot -and I mean it- of value, following with a heroic support here in the forums. You go try that with some of the big fishes, hehe.  So, I'm saying, one chooses an option with its advantages and its issues/circumstances. Affinity Photo, (once I end some huge current projects, linked (specially in native files)  to another very cheap and good package from another company) I've chosen it to be my future main image software, and integrator tool in raster, and Designer is already my main vectors solution, no doubt there. (in raster I have more tools, specially for painting). But I knew what I was signing for : smaller than Adobe company, so, less resources, probably more time between releases. Logical as heck. Besides that, a fresher approach to the app and features, very nice UI, and freaking heck... no subscription (I would need only this reason coupled with the great pricing, with these two alone it already beats the big guy with  a Taekwondo flying kick)

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 and V2.4 Windows 10 and Windows 11. 
Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

I cannot add much to what you have written. I have watched this happen time and again and incredibly, the "top" can't see it coming. I have seen several instances where senior management acts as if their thoughts are on a higher lever than yours ever could be.

If you want to improve your organization ASK THE WORKERS! I am reminded of one company that (if I remember correctly) was packing boxes with toothbrushes. THey had a problem with every "X" number of boxes would not get filled but were getting sealed and shipped. The engineers came out and were ready to build a scale and a electronic eye and more. The guy working on the floor pulled up a bin on one side of the line and a floor fan on the other. The empty boxes blew into the bin and the full ones kept going down the line

OS build    22621.1928

yoda.png