You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Publisher - Sneak Preview

TonyB

Looking forward to see columns and grids settings. Not even InDesign has a proper automation of grids with fields creation.

Index creation it's an other always over complicated thing too design.

I'm a Designer user and with just a proper deformation tool and illustrator will be not needed any more for me, great work.

Can't say the same of Photo vs Photoshop but still a good app :)

Joaquim Berenguer

www.berenguer.info

11 hours ago, JesusSheep said:

Is Affinity Publisher CATNIP for Top Cat?

I don't know, but I think I hear a can opener cutting through a can of tuna.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

1 hour ago, Tia Lapis said:
2 hours ago, Max Basok said:

will Publisher have Balance Ragged Lines feature?

What is that?

Optical Justification, perhaps? :/

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

8 hours ago, Max Basok said:

will Publisher have Balance Ragged Lines feature?

I would think that is a pretty basic feature for a DTP application. Automatic hyphenation feels more intricate than that for me, and every web browser can do that nowadays, so I would assume a publishing application is more advanced than that and would be able to balance line endings.

6 hours ago, Max Basok said:

it's the feature in InDesign that works just like it's heard — change number of words in line to balance the rag

Actually, "Balance Ragged Lines" is not supposed to be used on body text. Balancing and hyphenation are taken care of by the paragraph composer – by default that's Adobe's excellent "Multi-Line Composer", which already takes the effect of hyphenation and composition decisions over the entire paragraph into account, not just the current line. So you don't need to activate any other options to get nice and balanced body text.

"Balance Ragged Lines" is intended to be used with small centered blocks of text like pull quotes, multi-line headlines and so on. For instance, you can apply it to your subhead paragraph style so that those two lines of text are always evenly divided between the two lines and you don't have to manually add forced returns for everything to look balanced.

If you apply "Balance Ragged Lines" to regular body text however, it will actually usually make the result significantly worse, and it is sure to drive anybody mad who has to do copy fitting with your body copy style.

If you look at your example, the only thing that has really improved on the right is that InDesign has balanced all lines so that the last line of the paragraph is filled completely, making tradeoffs in all other lines in order to meet that goal. Also keep in mind that placeholder copy won't always give you the best impression of these things since the hyphenation is not representative when using pseudo-latin.

EDIT: There is an article on InDesign Secrets that goes into detail.

19 minutes ago, Peter Werner said:

"Balance Ragged Lines" is intended to be used with small centered blocks of text like pull quotes, multi-line headlines and so on. For instance, you can apply it to your subhead paragraph style so that those two lines of text are always evenly divided between the two lines and you don't have to manually add forced returns for everything to look balanced.

Thanks for the great explanation

Affinity Designer 2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212 Affinity Photo 2.2.2075  beta 2.3.1.2212Affinity Publisher  2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212

Windows 11 Pro Version    22H2
OS build    22621.1928
Processor    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700 CPU @ 2.90GHz   2.90 GHz
Installed RAM    16.0 GB (15.7 GB usable)
System type    64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

yoda.png

On 12/14/2017 at 7:30 PM, CraigB said:

I've been designing and publishing books and magazines for almost 40 years. I remember learning to use Aldus PageMaker on the Mac II oh those many years ago and over the years I've purchased tens of thousands of dollars of Adobe software and been harnessed to the annoying subscription model for not-quite 3 years. Having stuck with Adobe for an awfully long (and expensive) time I grate my teeth every year when my CC subscription comes up for renewal. And one of the primary reasons I haven't explored other options was InDesign. (I hate Quark...)

I learned of Affinity software today through a post about the Publisher preview on YouTube. Combined with Photo and Designer, I can finally see an end to my Adobe sentence.

I downloaded the trials for Photo and Designer and am so impressed I'll learn new workflows over the next two months so I can cancel my CC subscription before the March 2 renewal.

I have a break between publishing projects until mid-summer so my fingers are crossed Affinity Publisher will be in beta by then. 

Yes. I'm replying to my own post! I'm so happy to attach a screenshot of my Adobe Prison Release email. I pulled out my CS6 and installed InDesign to get me through until Publisher is available...

No longer will I pay Adobe $55/month. Thanks Serif!

Looking forward to the Publisher beta this summer!

Screen Shot 2017-12-26 at 3.47.06 PM.png

Thumbs Up 5.gif

Affinity Designer 2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212 Affinity Photo 2.2.2075  beta 2.3.1.2212Affinity Publisher  2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212

Windows 11 Pro Version    22H2
OS build    22621.1928
Processor    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700 CPU @ 2.90GHz   2.90 GHz
Installed RAM    16.0 GB (15.7 GB usable)
System type    64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

yoda.png

I've read that is hard to cancel your subscription from Adobe (well, like most Services, they try to retain clients).

Best regards!

9 hours ago, CraigB said:

Yes. I'm replying to my own post! I'm so happy to attach a screenshot of my Adobe Prison Release email. I pulled out my CS6 and installed InDesign to get me through until Publisher is available...

No longer will I pay Adobe $55/month. Thanks Serif!

Looking forward to the Publisher beta this summer!

Screen Shot 2017-12-26 at 3.47.06 PM.png

Welcome to the Revolution ;)

Great news, I wait patiently for the holy trinity to be completed.

Judging from the evolution of designer and photo I do expect publisher to cover 100% of my workflow with indesign, if not from the launch then within a year.

Thank you guys and keep up the good work!

Current Workstation:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5500 - MOBO: Asus B450 - RAM: 16GB DDR4 2667Mhz - GPU: AMD Radeon 7850 1GB
NVMe SSD: Crusial P3 1TB M.2 -  SSD: Samsung Evo 850 256GB  - PSU: XFX TS450 - OS: Win10

On 18-12-2017 at 1:34 PM, MattP said:

I just want to bring this post back to the top and dwell on it for a little while... You know I can't help but say a little too much most of the time, but I've been told in no uncertain terms that I'm not allowed to confirm or deny the function of these buttons... So I was trying to think what I could say about the subject, so: They're not there by accident. They're not placeholders. They're awesomeNobody else offers this, nor could they.

So my question to you is: What do you think they do? :D

I think they are some kind of personas for specialized work or links to the Designer and Photo apps to directly modify an element in Publisher.

But then again, I could be wrong. We'll see this summer.

On 18-12-2017 at 5:55 PM, MEGraphicDesign said:

Since we are all talking about new software, I have a serious question I would like to ask. Maybe something like this already exists, but I would love to hear what, if any, Affinity Products (or Affinity Compatible Applications) are in the works for organizing files and digital assets (along the lines of Adobe Bridge)? 

Yes, a DAM tool is in the works.

On 20-12-2017 at 11:38 AM, Pebowski said:

My guess: the 3 icons are the personas. The first one is Publisher, where you can do all the stuff for layout (which is active in this demo), the second is designer, where you can do all vector stuff, and the third is Photo, where the pixel stuff is integrated. So you can do all the things in Publisher without the need to switch programs. I guess, you must have bought Designer and Photo to work this way, Otherwise you can only import pictures.

The Export persona (and others) are simply missing in this preview and come in a later version.

@MattP: can you take pleasure in my theory? ;)

I had the same thought.

Would be awesome, to do everything in one UI and don't have to swith...

Since the apps do share one common file format it would be a logical step into the right direction in terms of neatless editing, interoperation and ressource sharing. Though I wonder which resulting file extension such a switchless operation would get then, especially if the other already existing apps are involved in some workflow process here. Maybe the first comes first serves (FIFO) principle or just plain .affinity" then.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

19 hours ago, Tourmaline said:

I had the same thought.

Would be awesome, to do everything in one UI and don't have to swith...

Seeing how you got a like from a staff, I think you're on the right track. :19_kissing:

If you're right, why the heck would newcomers buy Designer or Photo if it can all be done in Publisher? Perhaps the more advanced features will be left out like liquifying, 360 editing, and other things that may not be needed for publication. The tools that come from those buttons are ones that customers would normally switch to another application for. Go ahead. Tell me I'm wrong.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

Hello all. New to Affinity. Came here looking for info on Affinity Publisher.

History: started with Aldus PageMaker (4 or 5), then migrated to InDesign 1.0 ... etc., etc.

Hate CC (CloudCrap) and cannot wait to dump it.

My #1 feature requirement for Affinity Publisher is EPUB export.

Virtually everything we produce from InDesign these days is output to both PDF (for print) and to EPUB.

Is EPUB output going to be included in Affinity Publisher?

If not, there is no reason for me to be here.

Should I still be here and follow this application's progress?

What is the best way to follow Affinity Publisher status updates?

Is there an RSS feed? Email list?

I want to be on the Publisher beta (or alpha) testing team.