You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Publisher - Sneak Preview

TonyB

I've been waiting for this since the first Designer beta and first publisher mention. Most of my current work is advanced indesign and I have great hope on Publisher. Could be the final push for a complete Affinity workflow (Designer is great and use it a lot, but not as integrated with indesign as Illustrator, specificaly copy and pasting vectors)
Main fear is how good is going to be on hardcore advanced paragraph and text styles, grep styles, and tables. Oh my, I do a hell-a-ton of tables and indesign is great on that (A lot of corporate reports, catalogs and data visualization).

At current versión, text management on Designer is relatively meh! Nice to know improving is coming on that, and Hey Publisher! I'm looking for you! Wanna be betatester fot you!

Also... you had to name it Publisher, as the Microsoft crap… tsch tsch tsch…

24 minutes ago, Daniel Gibert said:

Main fear is how good is going to be on hardcore advanced paragraph and text styles, grep styles, and tables. Oh my, I do a hell-a-ton of tables and indesign is great on that (A lot of corporate reports, catalogs and data visualization).

Hi Danile Gibert,

It unrealistic to expect all that from the word go. I also use inDesign for my work and I need all those features to be effective in what I do.

I would also add automation. To be honest I don't expect Affinity Publisher to be ready for that kind of work any time soon - 5 years from now or more.

What I would love to see though is for the developers to release an early Alpha release for us to start testing it and giving the developers an early feedback about features that work and features that can be improved upon. I don't care if it crashes every 5 mins or so. I think that would be super cool.

2017 27” iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 • Radeon Pr 580 8GB • 64GB • Ventura 13.6.4.

iPad Pro (10.5-inch) • 256GB • Version 16.4

2 hours ago, Diller said:

So then I guess we'll see the beta next winter. :(

Lets just take them at their word and not get upset if there is a delay. Coming in SUmmer? That is up until August 31st. Give them a chance to get it right and do a few rounds of in house alpha and beta testing.  

Affinity Designer 2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212 Affinity Photo 2.2.2075  beta 2.3.1.2212Affinity Publisher  2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212

Windows 11 Pro Version    22H2
OS build    22621.1928
Processor    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700 CPU @ 2.90GHz   2.90 GHz
Installed RAM    16.0 GB (15.7 GB usable)
System type    64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

yoda.png

18 minutes ago, Seneca said:

What I would love to see though is for the developers to release an early Alpha release for us to start testing it and giving the developers an early feedback about features that work and features that can be improved upon. I don't care if it crashes every 5 mins or so. I think that would be super cool.

I'd sign for that, too.

I'm not dreaming of a 100% copycat fo indesign but i'd love to migrate at least 70% of work to Publisher and let the heavy ones on indesign.

Thanks for the preview. It's another spunky, open, hold-us-to-it commitment (which I never doubted, but I know some have).

It's the missing element of the publishing triad among the competitors (raster, vector, page assembly). It's the differentiator. It needs to happen as soon as possible, but because the stakes are high, it needs to be done well. That's the challenge.

Contrary to popular myth, print is not dead. (Affinity's two classy workbooks are a case-in-point.) So don't make it excessively web-centric. Ebook is important, though.

Please have Parliament pass a law prohibiting Adobe from buying Serif.

JET

7 minutes ago, JET_Affinity said:

Contrary to popular myth, print is not dead. (Affinity's two classy workbooks are a case-in-point.) So don't make it excessively web-centric. Ebook is important, though.

Please have Parliament pass a law prohibiting Adobe from buying Serif.

JET

I asked the question on Facebook and they said it was NOT going to be a web publisher. 

Affinity Designer 2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212 Affinity Photo 2.2.2075  beta 2.3.1.2212Affinity Publisher  2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212

OS build    22621.1928

yoda.png

9 minutes ago, Rick G said:

Lets just take them at their word and not get upset if there is a delay. Coming in SUmmer? That is up until August 31st. Give them a chance to get it right and do a few rounds of in house alpha and beta testing.  

I agree with the statement from Rick, because there are other construction sites that need to be done.

Affinity Photo 2.4:         Affinity Photo 1.10.6: 

Affinity Designer 2.4:    Affinity Designer 1.10.6:

Affinity Publisher 2.4:   Affinity Publisher 1.10.6:    

Windows 11 Pro  (Version 23H2 Build (22631.3296)

3 minutes ago, dkaiser said:

Give it to us... Now :D

whip-gif-5.gif

HAHAHA Love the graphic

OS build    22621.1928

yoda.png

@TonyB

I noticed in the YouTube version (which has a slightly better quality) items that bleed seem to be clipped at the page edge and there doesn't seem to be bleed indicators. 

So is the demo based upon artboards (couldn't tell in the video) or pages? If using the artboard mechanism present in AD, will it be rectified to show items off the artboard that bleed?

Will bleed indications be in the initial release?

Thank you, Mike

8 hours ago, MikeW said:

Usually this only happens once...then the person has learned to package if moving a publication and/or to keep publication resources in a relative path beneath the publication path and move/copy the whole shebang. Q is the same as ID. As is PagePlus, Viva Designer, or any other layout/design application that can link resources instead of just embedding them. The same will apply to APub and, if linked resources make it to AD, then to it too.

Maybe I had a difficult experience in the past. I was taught to embed the links, and then later, I was told I don't need to do that, just package them. And I had no idea what embedding even did. At least with packaging, I could see a new route folder was created for fonts and links, so that much made sense to me.

7 hours ago, TonyB said:

Well spotted. I can't tell you much but you will be both shocked and amazed :)

(Pauly Shore) Wick - ked! 

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

8 hours ago, TonyB said:

Digital Publishing will be on the roadmap of free features updates. 

HTML 5 responsive sounds interesting but I haven't seen it used successfully in publishing yet.

Will Publisher be used for websites? I asked that specific question and was told no ...

OS build    22621.1928

yoda.png

On 14/12/2017 at 5:44 PM, Sam Neil said:

I guess it would be good if this is addressed now and not after the initial release.

11 minutes ago, Sam Neil said:

I would have thought that's a Must!

If you were to quote the posts to which you’re replying, it would be easier to see what your comments refer to.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

12 minutes ago, Alfred said:

If you were to quote the posts to which you’re replying, it would be easier to see what your comments refer to.

Sorry Alfred you are right. I meant the inclusion of the Spellchecker, etc... is a must.

8 minutes ago, Sam Neil said:

Sorry Alfred you are right. I meant the inclusion of the Spellchecker, etc... is a must.

Thanks, Sam. For what it’s worth, I completely agree with you!

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Thank you Serif for making these applications! The monthly subscription Adobe has is a serious drain. That and the "bugginess" of the apps. This soon to be complete trio will be all I need for my creative hobby. I don't like paying for apps I will never use. Adobe apps get expensive really fast. The 12 month contract lock in adobe has is also financially and practically a PITA.

Thanks again for bringing in high quality challengers to the market. @TonyB

• Staff
3 hours ago, MikeW said:

@TonyB

So is the demo based upon artboards (couldn't tell in the video) or pages? If using the artboard mechanism present in AD, will it be rectified to show items off the artboard that bleed?

Will bleed indications be in the initial release?

Thank you, Mike

It was using spreads/pages, not artboards. I still need to make it show bleed correctly but will get that resolved prior to launch :) 

I hope that the people at affinity will act as always: No copy XPress or InDesign. They will share with us in this forum the best an practical way to do the day by day routines in a publishing application. No doubts about that!!!

I do not like some ways to do the publishing stuff in InDesigner.

Graphic designer from Bilbao (Spain) FreeHand forever. Affinity Designer rocks! - Diseñador gráfico de Bilbao (España). FreeHand forever. Affinity Designer ¡mola!

I like how the Place Image Tool serves as an image place holder for the future and not immediate image insertion like in Designer.

Is it too early to ask how the menu at 0:23 came up?

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

14 minutes ago, pixelschubsen said:

We are desperate waiting for an After Effects killer too ;) 

I don't think that there are plans in this direction in the near future, because on the Mac there are FCP X and Motion - so this would mainly be for Windows. I think a DAM (as a replacement for Lightroom) has higher priority.