You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Can't open Designer image in Photo

Error message says: the file contains features from a later version of Affinity.

How do I solve the problem?

When we were offered a free upgrade to Version 1.6 I could only successfully upgrade on my Macbook Pro, but for some reason I could not upgrade on my iMac, which is what I use for all graphic work. Is there a way I can upgrade for free at this point? And would the upgrade allow me to open the image I need in Photo?

36 minutes ago, gumbo23 said:

for some reason I could not upgrade on my iMac

What error message(s) did you get? As long as you are logged in to the Mac App Store with the Apple ID that you used when making the original purchase, you should be able to download and install the latest version on any iMac or MacBook.

Affinity Photo 1.6 will open any Affinity Photo or Affinity Designer files saved from version 1.6 or earlier.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

20 minutes ago, Alfred said:

What error message(s) did you get? As long as you are logged in to the Mac App Store with the Apple ID that you used when making the original purchase, you should be able to download and install the latest version on any iMac or MacBook.

Affinity Photo 1.6 will open any Affinity Photo or Affinity Designer files saved from version 1.6 or earlier.

I talked with Apple, and it was something to do with not having the correct account Apple ID. Once I'd signed in properly I could reinstall Photo with the latest version.

• Staff

Hi gumbo,

Assuming you are not using any Beta version that means you are trying to open a file created in version 1.6 in the older 1.5 version, no matter the program - Designer or Photo. So to make it work you must upgrade both Designer and Photo apps to the latest 1.6 version. If you have bought both apps for your MacBook, open the App Store app on your Imac, go to the Purchased section (if you haven't installed them on it already) or to the Updates section in case they are already installed and click the Install or Update button from the list below. Make sure you are signed in with the same Apple ID used to buy the apps on your MacBook. If for some reason the apps or updates don't appear on the respective list (Purchased or Updates section), sign-out then sign in again in the App Store app.