You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Text Frame text management

I've used DTP and graphics software for years, and I simply cannot figure out how your Frame Text works. It's not apparently like Photoshop, Word or Publisher. I can't find anything on it in the tutorials and Help and Support seem always to double-back to here.

The little I can find does not seem to work as it says. Artistic Text works fine. But although I can type text into a frame, I cannot figure out how to modify it after that. I can't even select a word or a phrase to italicize it, say, or to correct a spelling error. Can you direct me to some help on this?

I found the Affinity Designer tutorial on Artistic, Frame, and Shape Text useful for learning more about how Frame and/or Artistic Text work in Affinity Photo.

Edit: Basically, though, you should be able to select the layer containing the text frame, and if you have the move tool or the text frame tool selected the frame will be visible and the text will be editable.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

11 hours ago, RCS said:

But although I can type text into a frame, I cannot figure out how to modify it after that. I can't even select a word or a phrase to italicize it, say, or to correct a spelling error. Can you direct me to some help on this?

You need to be in text entry mode to modify the text itself. Two of the ways to do that are:

1. With the Move tool active, double-click somewhere on the text. The pointer should change to the 'I-beam' text entry cursor at that point.

2. With either the Frame Text or Artistic Text tool active, click anywhere within the Frame Text's bounding box. You can do this 'blind' (without the bounding box being visible) by noting that the cursor changes to the I-beam when you hover over the bounding box.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

This, I think, is the problem. I had tried what everyone else suggested; the problem was that I was never getting the cursor for entering text. I never intentionally rasterized the text I had typed, and never was warned that that was going to happen. I presume it is something the Assistant does under certain circumstances (without warning!) or possibly I used the key combination Ctrl+Enter (since that was suggested somewhere in the Help info, along with various combinations with the Esc key. 

I had to completely retype the material I had set in AP -- in Ms Word. What I have learned from this is simply NOT TO USE AP for Frame Text!!! It's too unpredictable, and I have other options.

However I do like the photo functions, and have virtually ceased using Photoshop.

4 hours ago, RCS said:

I presume it is something the Assistant does under certain circumstances (without warning!) or possibly I used the key combination Ctrl+Enter (since that was suggested somewhere in the Help info, along with various combinations with the Esc key. 

There are a few options in the Assistant manager that might possibly result in rasterizing text, but there is also an option to alert you when the Assistant takes an action. Check your settings to make sure they are what you want (or disable the Assistant if you prefer).

I am not sure what you saw in the Help that suggested using the keyboard shortcut other than to intentionally convert a vector or text object to curves, but that isn't used in combination with the escape key. I seems most likely that you inadvertently typed the keyboard shortcut with the text layer selected at some point & did not notice that you had. One way to prevent that is to disable the keyboard shortcut or change it to something else you are not likely to type by accident. 

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7