You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Bought New MacBook Do I need to rebuy the app?

To whom it may concern, 

I just bought the Affinity Designer App with my old MacBook Air and the Mac crashed a week after I bought the Affinity Designer App. I bought a brand new Mac and now when I go to download the new Affinity Designer App with the same exact Apple ID it is saying I have to purchase it again. Do I really have to buy it again?

• Staff

Hi cmcgui1460,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

No, if you already have purchased it you don't have to buy it again. Make sure you are signing-in with the same Apple ID used to buy the app originally. I(f the button says purchase, sign out and try to sign in again. If this also doesn't work do the following:

1. Make sure you are  signed-in with the same Apple ID used to buy the app.

2. Open the Terminal app. Copy and paste the following command and press Enter:

open $TMPDIR/../C

This will open a Finder window. 

3. Drag the **com.apple.appstore** folder that's inside there to the Trash. This folder is just a cache. It will be recreated as soon as you run the Mac Store app again.

4. Run the Mac Store app and try to install Affinity Designer - does the install button appear now? If it still doesn't work, reboot your system and check again.

If you still have trouble with this it's better to contact Apple support directly to see what's going on.

3 hours ago, MEB said:

Hi cmcgui1460,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

No, if you already have purchased it you don't have to buy it again. Make sure you are signing-in with the same Apple ID used to buy the app originally. I(f the button says purchase, sign out and try to sign in again. If this also doesn't work do the following:

1. Make sure you are  signed-in with the same Apple ID used to buy the app.

2. Open the Terminal app. Copy and paste the following command and press Enter:

open $TMPDIR/../C

This will open a Finder window. 

3. Drag the **com.apple.appstore** folder that's inside there to the Trash. This folder is just a cache. It will be recreated as soon as you run the Mac Store app again.

4. Run the Mac Store app and try to install Affinity Designer - does the install button appear now? If it still doesn't work, reboot your system and check again.

If you still have trouble with this it's better to contact Apple support directly to see what's going on.

Ah, got it! Thanks. That was the issue.

• 7 months later...

Hi, Norman Kline,

This is probably something you need to talk about w. Apple. I suspect you will have prove that you are the same person that had a previous account. I'm surely not a support person, but it seems you must use the same e-mail account, and set each new Apple device to the same account when first using the new device. Perhaps you did as I've done, forgot the password, and been locked out while trying to type in what I supposed might be the pass code. In my case, I was able to get to them and reset the password w/o deleting the account.

Did you happen to save the billing info e-mail from the orig. purchase? That might be useful.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet