You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Takes minutes to boot

How do you know that the reason is these hundreds of fonts? Do the Affinity apps boot faster when you disable fonts or remove them from the system? … :/

Well, you could try to reset the app, but the procedure seems different for the Mac and the Windows versions. So you would have to provide more information on your system. :)

Cheers, Alex

The fact that the number of fonts affects the startup time of Affinity Apps has been said by the Devs here in the forum.

But for the to last minutes... that must be an insane amount of them.

Best regards!

3 hours ago, A_B_C said:

Do the Affinity apps boot faster when you disable fonts or remove them from the system?

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

15 hours ago, firewater said:

I have hundreds of fonts installed

If you have more than a few hundred fonts that you use regularly, install and run a font manager so that you can keep the number of permanently installed fonts to a minimum, with the others being loaded (i.e. installed temporarily) as and when you need them. The Affinity apps automatically update the font cache when you load/install or unload/uninstall any fonts.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

The question is, if loading hundreds of fonts is really necessary, when I just want to draw only shapes.

Why do not they load in the background after the start?

Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

Yes, but it is known by choice Text tool.

But the application must boot up, user must select or create a new project, and only then can he want to work with the fonts, that could be uploaded in the meantime.

On 12/14/2017 at 5:08 AM, Alfred said:

If you have more than a few hundred fonts that you use regularly, install and run a font manager so that you can keep the number of permanently installed fonts to a minimum, with the others being loaded (i.e. installed temporarily) as and when you need them. The Affinity apps automatically update the font cache when you load/install or unload/uninstall any fonts.

Which font managers do people recommend? I need to get my precious collection under control for this same reason.

2019 MacBook Pro 16” | Affinity Designer 2 | Affinity Photo 2 | Affinity Publisher 2

2018 iPad Pro 12.9” | Apple Pencil 2 | Affinity Designer for iPad 2 | Affinity Photo for iPad 2 | Affinity Publisher for iPad 2

Years with Affinity: 5 ❤️ https://www.instagram.com/cealcrest/

FEATURE WISH LIST  Vector Mesh Tool    Shape Builder Tool   🥚True Vector Brushes   🥚Vector Pattern Fill  🥚Studio Link in All Apps

APP WISH LIST  Publisher   🥚2D Animation/Video

10 minutes ago, Cealcrest said:

Which font managers do people recommend? I need to get my precious collection under control for this same reason.

I like and use MainType from High-Logic, but it's currently only available for Windows. 

Alfred spacer.png

• 1 month later...
On 12/14/2017 at 4:29 AM, A_B_C said:

How do you know that the reason is these hundreds of fonts? Do the Affinity apps boot faster when you disable fonts or remove them from the system? … :/

Well, you could try to reset the app, but the procedure seems different for the Mac and the Windows versions. So you would have to provide more information on your system. :)

Cheers, Alex

I know for sure because it loaded up fine right before I imported my font collection into my computer.

On 12/14/2017 at 7:01 AM, Mithferion said:

The fact that the number of fonts affects the startup time of Affinity Apps has been said by the Devs here in the forum.

But for the to last minutes... that must be an insane amount of them.

Best regards!

It is a lot of fonts, but if any type of person is gonna have a lot of fonts in his computer, it's gonna be the type of person who uses Affinity. So I believe they should do a better job at this.

On 12/14/2017 at 9:08 AM, Alfred said:

What would be the use of such a program? I'm not familiar with them. I take it I'd have to remove many fonts, therefore I wouldn't be able to test them from Affinity on my designs, right?

On 12/14/2017 at 11:30 AM, Pšenda said:

The question is, if loading hundreds of fonts is really necessary, when I just want to draw only shapes.

Why do not they load in the background after the start?

I so profoundly agree with this. Fonts should be loaded when called for, or slowly in the background.

12 minutes ago, firewater said:
On 14/12/2017 at 1:08 PM, Alfred said:

What would be the use of such a program? I'm not familiar with them. I take it I'd have to remove many fonts, therefore I wouldn't be able to test them from Affinity on my designs, right?

When you're using a font manager, you uninstall most of your fonts rather than removing them completely. When you want to use a font which is present on your machine but is not currently installed, you load it via the font manager and it then becomes available for use in any Windows application. Many programs won't 'see' the font until you close the program and reopen it, but the Affinity apps can use newly loaded/installed fonts in any new or reopened document without the need to relaunch the app itself.

Alfred spacer.png

6 minutes ago, Alfred said:

When you want to use a font which is present on your machine but is not currently installed, you load it via the font manager and it then becomes available for use in any Windows application.

Are these uninstalled fonts visible to the Affinity Apps with some sort of marker to say they are uninstalled or do you have to remember what fonts you have uninstalled?

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

3 minutes ago, carl123 said:

Are these uninstalled fonts visible to the Affinity Apps with some sort of marker to say they are uninstalled or do you have to remember what fonts you have uninstalled?

As far as the Affinity apps (and any other programs on the same machine) are concerned, the uninstalled fonts might as well not exist. However, since an Affinity app's font cache is updated when it detects a change, you can immediately use the newly loaded fonts in a new or reopened document.

Unavailable fonts are listed in a pop-up when you open the document, but they might not all be listed if there are too many of them, and there's currently no way to view the list again without closing and reopening the document.

Alfred spacer.png

Thanks, no good to me then, there is no way I could remember what fonts I have uninstalled, whilst in Affinity and scrolling through my available fonts.

Someone needs to design a font manager where all fonts are shown in the application you are using whether they are installed or not and if you click to use an uninstalled one the program immediately loads it so it is available to use from them on.

That way I could uninstall all my fonts downloaded over the years and start again from scratch thereby only adding fonts I actually use now to my system

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

2 minutes ago, carl123 said:

there is no way I could remember what fonts I have uninstalled, whilst in Affinity and scrolling through my available fonts

As I see it, all we really need is a resource manager like the one in PagePlus.

Alfred spacer.png

• Staff
27 minutes ago, carl123 said:

Hi carl123,

Affinity apps don't make any distinction between fonts that are not present on the system and ones that are simply deactivated. That's where font managers come in. Depending on how well font managers are integrated with the system (and the OS) they may or may not manage this for you. For example FontExplorer X Pro activates missing fonts automatically when you open a document with missing fonts in Affinity Apps (on the Mac) as long as theses fonts are installed and managed by FontExplorer. 

Hi MEB

That sounds worth looking into.

I'm on Windows though so will have to find something that integrates well with the Affinity apps and is Windows based

7 minutes ago, carl123 said:

I'm on Windows though so will have to find something that integrates well with the Affinity apps and is Windows based

On Win you can give the free Nexus Font a try. - Another one (multiplatform) is FontBase though I've never tried that one so far.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

• Staff

FontExplorer is also available for Windows but i don't know how well it's integrated there. Here's a screenshot of the Font Requests interception options on the Mac version so you can have an idea (for Affinity/generic apps). It also includes specific plugins for all Adobe apps and QuarkXPress which should be used instead of the generic options displayed below when available.

fontexplorer.png