You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Locking or hiding elements or objects

Hi guys any plans for locking or hiding selections? (as opposed to layers)

When working on large complicated files, I often need to hide or lock items temporarily. In fact the most useful thing I find I use all the time is the ability to lock everything except my current selection. Ie: select an object, keyboard shortcut lock everything else, make adjustments, unlock all, done. I can't tell you how much time I've saved using this over the years...  would be a great feature for AD too! Maybe I should have posted this in the feature request section...?

Yes, it is a great feature to implement.

When working in 3D I often "Hide Unselected" or perform a "Solo" edit (in fact hides everything except the object I'm working on).

Another possible addition would be to only display in full rez/fill the selected object, showing everything else in outline.

Also, being able to set specific layers to show in outline is very useful.

Having a command to turn all the layers, besides the active one, to outline is also very useful.

all good suggestions... I know in Blender hitting the "slash" key on the numpad hides everything and brings your object up to fill the screen. After you edit, hitting slash again toggles everything back. including the previous view and zoom you had before hitting the slash key.

For me, I guess the locking everything but your object solution I like because sometimes you want to see everything as you independently edit your object...

• 5 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Hi Paekke,

Do you know you can press ⌥ (option/alt) and click on a layer in the Layers panel to display it isolated from the rest?

Nope I didn't.. Thanks MEB for this one :) How ever.. This only get's me half way.. Say I wan't to isolate an object, then modify it with som extra shapes, corners, or what have you. It then take's me back to all of the objects in the scene.  :rolleyes:

You can only edit the object you selected. As soon as you click outside it (on the canvas) or create new objects, you quit that mode.

That's only what we have for now...

I can't edit anything.. I returns to canvas as soon as I try to select a node. Can't really see any need for this, as it is.

• 2 years later...

I know this is an old thread, but I'm trying to switch from Adobe Illustrator where I can lock any object on a layer, as well as locking the layer.

I can't find a way to lock individual objects - has this still not been implemented?

Affinity Designer has the same brilliant ease of use I had before I switched to Apple, and used DrawPlus. It would be a shame not to use it for work, rather than play, because of such a small thing.

I need to be able to do it so as not to disturb completed objects while working around them. Important when importing AI PDF files for testing.

• 2 months later...

BrucieNB - did you find a way to lock individual objects? Is it similar to Illustrator, in that it truly locks the object and it cannot be affected by, for example, the node tool?  ...    Isolation mode is fine, but if everything else is invisible it is hard to make changes in your object except by trial & error.

iMac running 10.12.6