You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Text Styles Suggestions

Hi,

as I can see, you have made some changes in Paragraph / Character styles. Thank you. They should work as they have to (I didn’t try them yet), but I have some more suggestions about them. Here they are:

·       Space Before/After in milimeters;

·       Leading in points (please, do not use Word schema for it);

·       Paragraph Justification in %, not pixels;

·       Leading overwrite should be named as “Leading” and moved from “Position and Transform” to “Spacing” instead of existing “Leading”;

·       in Position and Transform please add “inter word spacing” (or name it as you wish) that will control the amount of space between words;

·       in Position and Transform please add character shading;

·       Bullets and Numbering must be added;

·       Paragraph and Character shading and framing must be added;

·       Paragraph Rules must be added;

·       as I can see Space Before acts the same as in Quark and InDesign. PLEASE, PLEASE, add “first patagraph override” (or something like that) which will enable to move the paragraph down for a certain amount of space because there are situations when this is needed. Like in novels, stories… when a Chapter / Title doesn’t start at the top of the margin.

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

...as I can see Space Before acts the same as in Quark and InDesign. PLEASE, PLEASE, add “first patagraph override” (or something like that) which will enable to move the paragraph down for a certain amount of space...

+1

For a screen shot from Ventura, which Petar & I have used in the past (well, I still have need to once in a while). in the screen shot, which I see I snipped off the upper part of the page, the heading begins down the page about 3" without any stupid tricks:

capture-001571.png.49dd70e848da850924e2044125c1cb4a.png

And while we are picking on about every other layout application, Can I add side-by-side paragraphs, Petar?

capture-001572.png.4511d00bf8062ca3eee22d683d41aa6b.png

*      Space Before/After in milimeters;

There is a preference for using mm for all text units, or you can use mm in a specific field by typing "mm" after the number. Otherwise, we aim for horizontal text units to be the same as document units and vertical units to be points. We don't plan to let you pick the units differently for each control.

*       Leading in points (please, do not use Word schema for it);

You can already specify leading in points. Our leading is very flexible.

*      Paragraph Justification in %, not pixels;

I'm not sure what you mean by this. Currently word and letter spacing are in per-mille, not pixels.

*       Leading overwrite should be named as “Leading” and moved from “Position and Transform” to “Spacing” instead of existing “Leading”;

It is called "Leading override" because it is a character attribute which overrides the paragraph attribute. So it is in the right place and has the right name. The paragraph Spacing section already has Leading options.

*       in Position and Transform please add “inter word spacing” (or name it as you wish) that will control the amount of space between words;

You can control word spacing from the Paragraph Justification section.

*      in Position and Transform please add character shading;

You can change the colour of text from the Colour and Decorations section.

*     Bullets and Numbering must be added;

*      Paragraph and Character shading and framing must be added;

*      Paragraph Rules must be added;

These will all be added for Publisher.

*      Space Before;

Thanks for the suggestion. We'll consider this.

@Dave Harris I am, as many others, an "old school" and we are used to work in measurements units that are identical in Quark and InDesign. Any change you make in Designer, Photo and Publisher will make a confusion and will keep us away from using them as it should. Please, have this in consideration because, as we suppose, you make these apps for us, end customers. You must respect and acustom to some standards from the titans in layout software (Quark and Adobe) and have in mind that there are too many layouters and designers that don't want these kind of changes.

I am sending you screenshots in attachment to see that even I select "mm" while opening New Document, measuremet units in some sections of "Text Styles" do not response to them. Those one mentioned in the qoute bellow.

On 12/14/2017 at 5:50 PM, Dave Harris said:

*      Space Before/After in milimeters;

There is a preference for using mm for all text units, or you can use mm in a specific field by typing "mm" after the number. Otherwise, we aim for horizontal text units to be the same as document units and vertical units to be points. We don't plan to let you pick the units differently for each control.

*       Leading in points (please, do not use Word schema for it);

You can already specify leading in points. Our leading is very flexible.

*      Paragraph Justification in %, not pixels;

I'm not sure what you mean by this. Currently word and letter spacing are in per-mille, not pixels.

*      in Position and Transform please add character shading;

You can change the colour of text from the Colour and Decorations section.

I don't mean text color, but text background color and text framing.

Leading - in pt nott like MS Word.png

New Document - set in milimeters.png

Paragraph Justuification - in px instead in mm.png

Space Before-After - in pt instead in mm.png

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

• 3 weeks later...
On 16/12/2017 at 10:14 AM, Petar Petrenko said:

I am sending you screenshots in attachment to see that even I select "mm" while opening New Document, measuremet units in some sections of "Text Styles" do not response to them. Those one mentioned in the qoute bellow.

Go to Affinity Designer > Preferences > User Interface and untick Show text in points. (This is what I meant when I wrote, "There is a preference for...")

I don't mean text color, but text background color and text framing.

As I said, paragraph and frame stroke and fill will be in Publisher. Character background colour is called Highlight in the Edit Text Style panel.

OK Dave I understand about paragraph and frame stroke and fill. Let see the problem with the units. As you can see from my previous post on the second picture, I set the units in Preferences into "mm", but if you see on the third and fourth picture the Justification still shows "px" and Space Before / After is in "pt". So, they don't reflect the changes from Preferences.

Getting "pt" for Space before and Space after happens because you still have Show text in points ticked. This is a global Preferences setting, not a document setting.

On Mac, the justification units are always percentages of the text size, never absolute units like mm or px. It sounds like this is a Windows-specific bug. I'll get it logged to be fixed.

2 hours ago, Dave Harris said:

Getting "pt" for Space before and Space after happens because you still have Show text in points ticked. This is a global Preferences setting, not a document setting.

On Mac, the justification units are always percentages of the text size, never absolute units like mm or px. It sounds like this is a Windows-specific bug. I'll get it logged to be fixed.

Show text in points is unchecked.

Thank you, Dave.