You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

AD: Way to make 'canvas' conform to placed objects

I'm used to a graphics program that automatically sizes the 'canvas' (file aspect ratio and dimensions) to a placed object. For example, in those programs, I can start with any size (h & w) window, place a screen shot and click once to make the file's dimensions expand or contract to conform to the screen shot.

Is there a similar feature in Affinity Designer?

That sounds like a way to begin. I'm hoping for something that will easily resize an existing file - that is, a file in already in progress -  when a new object  is larger/smaller. Note that I don't want to resize the new object... I want the 'canvas' to resize itself to the new object.

Believe me, it's unendingly useful to be able to change the dimensions to fit imported material. It's all relative anyway in vector, right? 

It would appear that no such facility is in Designer - at least highly experienced users are instead offering alternative workflows. I'll put together a wishlist entry and find the right forum here.

How about...

Select all (or whatever you need) and hit Artboard from selection.

If you do that from within an already existing Artboard it's a little more complicated.

It'll make the new artboard at the right dimensions but all the elements will remain in the first artboard.

So.... drag the first artboard into the new one, while it's still selected hit the delete key, and select "keep objects". Should work.

Looks promising, JimmyJack, but I think I'm not achieving the goal.

I selected all, clicked on the Artboard tool, clicked on "Size" and picked "selection," then clicked "Insert Artboard." It made the entire workspace white. 

However, "Move Tool" > "Document" reports the right size for the object I want to encompass. It appears that Artboard1 (if that's the original one) is right on top of the new artboard. And I'm baffled by the huge area of white.

The actual work area -- the document I want to work on -- is surrounded by a teal border, but I can't find in the help file what that means.

4 hours ago, OldDave said:

I'm used to a graphics program that automatically sizes the 'canvas' (file aspect ratio and dimensions) to a placed object. For example, in those programs, I can start with any size (h & w) window, place a screen shot and click once to make the file's dimensions expand or contract to conform to the screen shot.

Is there a similar feature in Affinity Designer?

Designer is primarily a "Page" based program, so is really based around pages.

An image program, is based around images (which traditionally, you would place on a page), which is why you could do what you want in Affinity Photo. Document > Clip Canvas but not Affinity Designer. 

These days there is some considerable overlap between the two programs, but not in this case. Sorry

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

Ah, I see. Makes sense.

I need to supply clients with a file where the fonts are available on a layer. After some experimentation, it appears that only Designer's PDF export will work.

Meanwhile, I purchased AP, but shelved it quickly because I could not fathom the interface. Does Photo have an export format in which the fonts are on a separate layer or exist as a separate object?

The idea is for the client to take my version in English and translate the text into Japanese. (The clients don't have either Designer or Photo - and wouldn't buy it until there is a Japanese version.)

You can do pretty much everything in Photo that you can in Designer and vice versa. There are differences but certainly you can use layers and export the text on a different layer as you do in Designer

It is also easy to swap between the two, i.e. create something in Designer, load the file  into Photo to edit something and then load back into Designer.

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

4 hours ago, OldDave said:

Looks promising, JimmyJack, but I think I'm not achieving the goal.

I selected all, clicked on the Artboard tool, clicked on "Size" and picked "selection," then clicked "Insert Artboard." It made the entire workspace white. 

However, "Move Tool" > "Document" reports the right size for the object I want to encompass. It appears that Artboard1 (if that's the original one) is right on top of the new artboard. And I'm baffled by the huge area of white.

The actual work area -- the document I want to work on -- is surrounded by a teal border, but I can't find in the help file what that means.

I not sure where you left the rails. (or even if there are rails ;))

Can you post a file with some elements you would like to "fit" to and get the white out result and perhaps I can do a quick vid. Or at least a more complete step by step.

2 hours ago, OldDave said:

The idea is for the client to take my version in English and translate the text into Japanese. (The clients don't have either Designer or Photo - and wouldn't buy it until there is a Japanese version.)

Both Designer and Photo come with a Japanese language option for the user interface, accessed via the Preferences dialog.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

1 hour ago, JimmyJack said:

I not sure where you left the rails. (or even if there are rails ;))

Can you post a file with some elements you would like to "fit" to and get the white out result and perhaps I can do a quick vid. Or at least a more complete step by step.

Rails? Flying blind...

Can't put together the file right now - will pick this up in the (No. American) a.m.

2 hours ago, toltec said:

You can do pretty much everything in Photo that you can in Designer and vice versa. There are differences but certainly you can use layers and export the text on a different layer as you do in Designer

It is also easy to swap between the two, i.e. create something in Designer, load the file  into Photo to edit something and then load back into Designer.

Ok, then - I'll have to learn to deal with Photo's UI. Promising workflow here, though, bouncing between the two, like the (very) old Corel days, Photo & Draw.

8 hours ago, OldDave said:

I'll pass that along, though I don't know the pricing for mainland Japan.

Prices are determined by Apple’s pricing matrix for the Mac App Store (MAS). The Affinity apps are sold in the MAS for 49.99 USD, making them Tier 50 products, so the current price for customers in Japan is 6000 JPY.

Alfred spacer.png

49 minutes ago, OldDave said:

May I assume a similar cost for Windows? 

Yes, you may. Serif have chosen to set their prices in US dollars and leave Apple’s pricing matrix to do the rest, so that Windows and Mac customers pay exactly the same amount in any given country.

Alfred spacer.png