VIPStephan

[AD 1.6] Non-standard fonts converted to curves in exported PDF

I’ve seen this being reported before and I can confirm that in AD 1.6 it is still occurring that some fonts aren’t embedded but converted to curves on PDF export. When I changed the font from Carlito to Arial and exported it (using the same settings as before) Arial can be highlighted in the exported PDF while Carlito can’t because it is converted to curves (see attached sample). It isn’t even replaced by a default fallback font; this is making it even more laborious to import/convert into Adobe Illustrator.

My export settings are: PDF/X-3:2003, use document resolution, embed all fonts.

test.pdf

Thanks for the files! Unfortunately I'm still unable to reproduce this. I've set my presets as mentioned and also fiddled about with the Embed Font options and the font is getting embedded without a problem.

What version of macOS are you using? Do you have any sort of font management utilities that you use?

font_test2.pdf

Screenshot 2017-12-14 08.29.00.png

I have a mid-2012 13" MacBook Pro with OSX 10.11.6 (El Capitan) and am using FontExplorer X Pro 4.2.3 for font management.

And now that you mentioned that, I have the suspicion that it only embeds fonts that are stored in /System/Library/Fonts or /Library/Fonts while the non-standard fonts are stored in a custom fonts directory. Could that be the culprit?

OK, after some testing it seems like it, indeed, just embeds fonts that are stored in /System/Library/Fonts or /Library/Fonts. I copied a font file to /Library/Fonts and quit FontExplorer X, so that it wouldn’t interfere, and when I exported the AD file to PDF, the fonts were embedded and editable. It should respect other font locations, too.

Hi VIPStephan,

Unfortunately my trial version of FontExplorer has expired, however I passed it on to development. They said that they're not sure if this is our bug, or is something that FontExplorer themselves would need to fix, or create a plugin for as it looks like they use those to make Adobe applications work.

Have you tried contacting FontExplorer?

OK, they were saying that FontExplorer activates and deactivates fonts system-wide regardless of where they are stored; also, usually it’s not necessary that applications check whether fonts are in the system fonts directory. And they said that FontExplorer doesn’t change the functionality of the fonts, and therefore it can’t cause errors. A plug-in is only necessary for automatic font activation during program start-up.

Then they were asking me which font formats (PostScript/TrueType/…) were causing problems and as I performed several tests with different fonts I found that the issue seems to occur pretty randomly. For example, I exported a PDF with Open Sans Regular and it was converted to curves the first time. Then I changed the font a few times in AD, trying others (without changing their location in the system), and when I changed it back to Open Sans again, it suddenly worked. Another time I exported a PDF with Oxygen Regular and in the PDF it would convert the font to curves, and on a later try, despite having Oxygen Regular selected, it would show Oxygen Italic in the PDF instead, but it was highlightable (meaning it was not converted to curves). Very strange behavior.

The only times where it is reliably not embedding fonts seems to be with PostScript fonts. These are always converted to curves, as far as I can tell.

I’m at a loss. Can’t reproduce this reliably. All I can say is that sometimes fonts aren’t embedded for whatever reason. :(