You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi Team,

I just purchased Affinity Photo. I have some issues, though I like the software so I purchased it.

I have the following issues. Can someone help me on the same ?

1.) The Develop Persona seems to be a bit Slow

2.) I am migrating from Lightroom and I like to set white and black points using clipping. Do we have clipping so that I can set back and White points (brightness) in Develop ?

3.) I always save my files as TIFF files. Here is says export TIFF which is fine. When I open the TIFF file and keep editing it and when I hit save and Export Dialog box comes and I need to keep waiting for the dialog box to go. Can we have this process run in background and I can continue to edit the files ?

4.) I have lots of plugins in Photoshop cc ( Nik Filters and Neat Image). I cannot see them in the Plugins Menu. How can I get the same here ?

5.) Are there any recommended additional plugins/filters/presets with work great with Affinity Photo ?

Thanks

Krishna

1. The Develop Persona does not display thumbnails included in RAW files as do some apps. Instead, it loads all the RAW data & renders a default working image from that. This takes longer than with apps that start with thumbnails, & the develop engine is not (yet) that well optimized for speed. Hopefully, this will be improved in later versions.

2. Clipping can be displayed but I do not think there is a way to set black & white points like in Lightroom.

3. It is customary to save your work in the native Affinity format & only export to other formats as needed. This maximizes the preservation of all the non-destructive features of the app. If you are exporting to TIFF (or any other non-native format), there are options for continuous export (refer to the builtin help for how that works), but aside from that exporting cannot run as a background process, probably because it would cause confusion about which edits are included.

4. There are quite a few topics devoted to plugins & even a video tutorial for installing the NIK collection. If you search the forums on either "plugins" or "NIK" you should find everything you might want to know about that.

5. See #4 above.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• Staff

Hi Krishna Prasad Kotti

1. This depends a little of what camera/RAW format you are using. We are continually improving this to increase loading speeds.

2. You can find the clipping controls on the top right of the application interface. There's no way to set the black and white points as in Lightroom in Develop Persona. You can however use the Levels Adjustment in Photo Persona in a similar way: press and hold ⌥ (option/alt) while adjusting the sliders.

4. If you already have the plugins installed in the Adobe Photoshop Plugins folder you only have to go to Affinity Photo Preferences, Photoshop Plugins section, then in the Plugin Search Folders filled click the Add button and point/browse to that Photoshop Plugins folder. Tick Allow "Unknown" plugins to be used and if you are using a Mac computer press the Authorise Global button on the bottom right then Authorise again in the Finder windows that will open (this button doesn't exist on the Windows version). Close the Affinity Preferences window and restart Affinity Photo. The recognised plugins should then appear in the Filters menu.

5. Check this page. I'm assuming you are using a Mac. If not go to the menu on top to get the Windows list instead.

Regarding Point 3

I currently use Lightroom plus Photoshop and in future it could be Lightroom plus Affinity Photo. So when you open lightroom to Affinity Photo, the image is made into TIFF (this is recommended way for Photoshop as well). So I wish to use TIFF file format to make my Edits in Affinity Photo

I think it will be helpful if we can have that feature of export/save TIFF files in background.

Can we include that ?