pixelstuff

PDF Import Still Needs Work

Hi pixelstuff,

This isn't a bug with the PDF import, Illustrator does the exact same thing. The line objects inside that PDF are 0.003px (possibly been marked as hairline), so they are barely visible. If you keep zooming in on the PDF you will notice those lines don't actually appear to get bigger, it is just that Acrobat and Chrome view those lines at a consistent size no matter what the zoom level - which is a trait for hairline objects.

If you open the PDF in AP, Select all the curves and Group them, apply a Stroke of 0.4 to the Group - you get something you may be able to work with.

You can then ungroup the curves if you want to.

blanco.jpg

Due to the ongoing Brexit negotiations, punctuation, spelling and grammar will be used sparingly until further notice.

On 12/13/2017 at 3:43 AM, Sean P said:

Hi pixelstuff,

This isn't a bug with the PDF import, Illustrator does the exact same thing. The line objects inside that PDF are 0.003px (possibly been marked as hairline), so they are barely visible. If you keep zooming in on the PDF you will notice those lines don't actually appear to get bigger, it is just that Acrobat and Chrome view those lines at a consistent size no matter what the zoom level - which is a trait for hairline objects.

Visibly it's not the same in Illustrator or Photoshop though.

This is what I get when importing into Adobe Illustrator or Photoshop.

Adobe Illustrator-Photoshop Import.png

This is what I get when importing into Affinity Designer or Photo.

Affinity Designer-Photo Import.PNG

None of the settings I've tried on the import dialog seems to fix it. Also no matter how far you zoom into Designer or Photo it doesn't show the missing lines or text.

On 12/13/2017 at 5:07 AM, carl123 said:

If you open the PDF in AP, Select all the curves and Group them, apply a Stroke of 0.4 to the Group - you get something you may be able to work with.

You can then ungroup the curves if you want to.

blanco.jpg

This does seem to work. So it seems like a rendering glitch in Affinity Designer and Photo. No matter how far you zoom in you can't see the lines and text between the arrows until you increase stroke to at least 0.1pt.

If you select one of these objects in Illustrator it shows up as having a 0.0028 pt stroke. That must be too small for Affinity Designer and Photo to recognize so they round it to zero during import. Maybe.

When working with another PDF that was created with Autocad, I also had problems with parts not being visible. Until I realized that there were layers in Affinity Photo and Designer that were made invisible. Maybe your issue is also related to unchecked layers in the Affinity applications?

On 15/12/2017 at 8:20 PM, pixelstuff said:

Visibly it's not the same in Illustrator or Photoshop though.

This is what I get when importing into Adobe Illustrator or Photoshop.

I presume you have 'Enhance thin lines' enabled in Illustrator. This enhances the extremely thin lines so they are visible. See my attached two screenshots showing illustrator with and without this option enabled. 

Unfortunately Affinity doesn't have this feature so the lines themselves are barely visible. What Carl123 has said is correct though. We round up/down values, so even though they've been rounded down to 0pt, they are not quite. You can adjust the amount of decimal places shown in Preferences.

EnhanceOn.png

EnhanceOff.png