You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Standalone license transfer to Windows Store

Do you have a Standalone license and want to move to the Windows Store?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Do you have a Standalone license and want to move to the Windows Store?

• Yes
    • No

In a previous post you said there are limitations on how many promo codes you can make, so you won't transfer standalone licenses to the store counterparts.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/uwp/publish/generate-promotional-codes

As you can see from the link above, the only limitation is 1600 promo codes max each 6 months.

Since the number all of us that does want to transfer their licenses is <<<< 1600, you should consider this

45 minutes ago, lugiank said:

Since the number all of us that does want to transfer their licenses is <<<< 1600, you should consider this

That's pure guesswork!  The number of people asking for it on this forum is a lot less, but what are you prepared to to bet that that wouldn't change the moment the promo codes were offered?  And what are you going to do about the 1601st person who wants one?  If you look at all the Ts & Cs from the link you provided you'll come across this little gem - "You forfeit revenue for your App or In-App Product if you give out Promotional Codes.".  I don't know what that means in practice, but it doesn't sound good :(

<edit>

Re-reading that last bit in context it looks like MS are just stating the bleedin' obvious i.e. you don't get revenue from stuff you give away - I wouldn't stake my business on it though! 

AP, AD & APub user, running Win10

11 minutes ago, IanSG said:

That's pure guesswork!  The number of people asking for it on this forum is a lot less, but what are you prepared to to bet that that wouldn't change the moment the promo codes were offered?  And what are you going to do about the 1601st person who wants one?  If you look at all the Ts & Cs from the link you provided you'll come across this little gem - "You forfeit revenue for your App or In-App Product if you give out Promotional Codes.".  I don't know what that means in practice, but it doesn't sound good :(

<edit>

Re-reading that last bit in context it looks like MS are just stating the bleedin' obvious i.e. you don't get revenue from stuff you give away - I wouldn't stake my business on it though! 

Well, Serif could just give promo codes to people who ask them to. SO VERY FEW PEOPLE

10 minutes ago, lugiank said:

Well, Serif could just give promo codes to people who ask them to. SO VERY FEW PEOPLE

Once again, how do you know what the numbers are? It could run to many thousands.

You need to ask yourself how you would feel if you were the 1601st person to request a promo code and were told, “You’re next in line, but I’m afraid you’ll have to wait six months!”

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• Staff

Hi lugiank,

The promo codes are mostly for app promotion and beta testing purposes. The app developers (and Microsoft) don't receive any money for the apps distributed this way. They are not intended to be used to transfer licenses between stores. Although 1600 might look a large number, don't forget part of these codes are used for the purposes mentioned above (app reviews/press/promo events etc) and testing so the actual number of codes available is actually lower than that.

What advantage do you expect from using the Windows store that you don't have now? I seriously don't get it. Ask the users of MS's Groove Music how they'd feel about a licence transfer.... after MS shut down the service and suggested they move to Spotify. MS doesn't care about any individual app. That's not their core business, unlike Affinity. I'll take my chances with the company that creates the software, thanks all the same. They're far more invested in its success.

Perhaps worth mentioning here is that if Serif distributed promo codes to users who bought the Windows apps from the Affinity Store, this would not transfer the license from one store to the other. Instead, those users would end up with two licenses, one for each store's version. I have no idea what the implications would be for that.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

On ‎12‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 3:40 PM, R C-R said:

Perhaps worth mentioning here is that if Serif distributed promo codes to users who bought the Windows apps from the Affinity Store, this would not transfer the license from one store to the other. Instead, those users would end up with two licenses, one for each store's version. I have no idea what the implications would be for that.

obviously the standalone license would be deactivated