You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi everyone! I've been looking into the possibilities with the Affinity suite, and whilst it's all very promising I do have one question regarding matters of an ICC profile nature. I suspect a fair few of you will either work alongside or will have transitioned from Photoshop, and one quite invaluable facility is the capacity to spot read the ink density of a CMYK image to meet with overall percentage limits for print saturation, which in my case tends to usually be 240%. Is there any such sampling tool in the Affinity suite which I'm missing, or a known adjustment layer process (maybe via soft proof) within Affinity by which you can ensure that your ink levels don't exceed that percentage space?

On 12/12/2017 at 7:35 PM, Fixx said:

In the info panel you set a reading set (or what it should be called) to display total ink:

Screenshot 2017-12-12 21.33.08.gif

That's great Fixx.. Kiitos! Couldn't find anything about it, and I've only just grabbed the trial version..

2 hours ago, Gavinr said:

That's great Fixx.. Kiitos! Couldn't find anything about it, and I've only just grabbed the trial version..

Something else you may not yet have discovered about the Info panel is if you click & drag on the target icon below the pointer arrow one you can set a sample point in the workspace that does not change as you move the pointer around. Clicking on the pointer arrow icon reverts that sampler to sampling whatever is under the pointer. You can also add as many samplers as you want to the panel.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

On 12/19/2017 at 0:25 PM, R C-R said:

Something else you may not yet have discovered about the Info panel is if you click & drag on the target icon below the pointer arrow one you can set a sample point in the workspace that does not change as you move the pointer around. Clicking on the pointer arrow icon reverts that sampler to sampling whatever is under the pointer. You can also add as many samplers as you want to the panel.

Hi R-C-R! Thanks for your input on this - yeah, once I became aware of the info panel the different aspects of it fell into place! That's a very handy thing to have when spotting out the darkest parts of your image for adjustment :o)

When I was first looking into AD I was unaware of the info panel's location within the menu system. I think perhaps I simply didn't expect it to be within a menu option called Studio - is that right or wrong of me? Probably neither.. I suppose it's just how Serif have elected to nest the menu.. lol.

2 minutes ago, Gavinr said:

When I was first looking into AD I was unaware of the info panel's location within the menu system.

I don't know if this is a typo or what, but only AP (Affinity Photo) has an Info Studio panel, at least on Macs.

4 minutes ago, Gavinr said:

I think perhaps I simply didn't expect it to be within a menu option called Studio - is that right or wrong of me?

"Studio" seems to be a catch-all generic name for all the panels in the UI ... except for the Tools panel, which has a separate entry in the View menu. O.o

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

2 hours ago, R C-R said:

I don't know if this is a typo or what, but only AP (Affinity Photo) has an Info Studio panel, at least on Macs.

"Studio" seems to be a catch-all generic name for all the panels in the UI ... except for the Tools panel, which has a separate entry in the View menu. O.o

yeah sorry - I've been all over Affinity Designer at the moment.. so AD just rolled off the keyboard instead of AP.. I suppose AD might have a need for info panel as well though if you can create all things vector in RGB as well as CMYK!? By that measure I'm surprised that it doesn't have an info panel in there somewhere.. Maybe next or latest release?

Got you on the Studio generic catch. Seems to be a holding place for all manner of buffoonery doesn't it.