You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Trying to replicate the process (link) to blur (bokeh) an image background and use a mask to retain sharpness of foreground. Desktop version seems to work fine. Ipad version mask requires precise tracing of foreground vs the general masking (black) and having image show properly per the desktop version. How can the ipad version behave like desktop version? Using an Ipad Air2. Does Affinity Photo run differently on iPad Pro?

• Staff

Hi Photoman821Ave and Weclome to the Forums,

I found it easier to use the Selection Tool brush in the Selections Persona before creating the Mask.  Using the above video as an example, once you've applied the Blur, you can then switch to the Selections Persona and make the selection of the dog, now if you invert this selection (2 finger tap the screen and select Invert) switch back to the Photo Persona and create the Mask.  You'll find everywhere expect the dog has the blur effect.  The benefit of using the Selection Persona is you have the Refine Selection option which can help tidy up the selection.  Also once you've created the Mask, if it needs any further tidying up, you can always paint to hide/show the mask as needed.

The iPad version does do some things a little different to the Desktop version and making selections with a finger vs a mouse will always be a little tricky.  I use an iPad Pro so have the option of using the Apple Pencil, which makes things a little for something like this.

Thanks Stokerg. I appreciate the feedback and guidance. Will follow through and work the image accordingly. I found the video very helpful, but couldnt translate process directly for iPad. Perhaps a new tutorial would help others as well. Affinity Photo (any platform) is fantastic. Used to use Photoshop (elements) and Corel X8, but Affinity does it all and more logically in work flow. 

Thanks for the guidance on iPad Pro. It would seem (of course, obviously) that the Apple Pencil becomes the “mouse” on iPad Pro vs being on a Mac or W10 device. 

• 1 year later...