You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Cmd-Shift-Arrow to select a line

The app seems to be missing the common keyboard selection controls:

Cmd-Left / Cmd-Right to move to the start/end of a line

Cmd-Shift-Left / Cmd-Shift/Right to select to the start/end of the line

Alt-Left / Alt-Right to move to the previous / next word

Alt-Shift-Left / Alt-Shift-Right to select the previous / next word

We use Ctrl-Left/Right for the start and end of the line, and Cmd-Left/Right for previous and next word. Alt-Left/Right should change kerning or letterspacing.

We're aware these are different to the Mac standard. Originally we followed the standard, but we had a lot of requests to change it to be more compatible with other apps. Eventually we plan to make it user-configurable.

Hi Dave,

Thanks so much for your quick response!

I'm surprised the current keyboard shortcuts (which I wasn't aware of, my bad) are because of requests to make Designer more compatible with other apps. In my experience, most apps follow the Cmd-key shortcuts, but I guess it depends on the apps one generally uses.

Having user-configuragle keys would be a super-useful (and peacemaking!) addition: let everyone choose for themselves and stop hassling you all.

For the record, I think Affinity Designer is a super product, even at this early version. Having used Adobe's suite of apps for years in my professional capacity as a Designer and now a Web Developer, I hardly use them at all now with such alternatives as yours. A big pat on the back for the team at Serif doing a sterling job for us hardened Mac users :)

On my machine, in both TextEdit and Pages, Ctrl-Left moves to the start of the line (which is the same as Affinity).

It's actually Adobe apps that we changed the keyboard to match. Specifically Illustrator and PhotoShop. If you are coming from them, I'm surprised you are surprised by our choices.