You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

RAW or JPEG in native Photos app - how can I tell?

Does anyone know how to differentiate RAW from JPEG in the native iPad Photos app? On the Mac app there is a little icon in the top left corner that displays "J" or "R" but on the iPad I can't see any way to tell. In Affinity it's fine, I get a little RAW label on them, but due to my workflow I need to be able to see it in Photos too.

My workflow:

1. Import photos directly to Photos app from SD, in RAW format

2. "Import from Photos" in Affinity Photo

3. Process RAW in Affinity and save JPEG back to the Photos library.

4. Delete RAW file from Photos and keep the processed JPEG.

At the end of this, I have two photos side by side in my Photos library, one RAW and one JPEG and I can't tell which is which...

If anyone has a better workflow using Affinity I'd be happy to hear it! It'd be great if we could import directly from an SD to Affinity as this would cut out the need to use Photos to store RAW files.

Hardware: iPad Pro 10.5 + Apple Pencil

Software: Affinity Photo for iPad

Thanks! Sorry that wasn't clear... yes you're right, once I've completed my workflow a single JPEG will remain in the Photos app. The problem I encounter is actually step 4 itself. After step 3 I have two images in Photos, a RAW and a JPEG, and I want to delete the RAW, but I can't tell which it is - especially if I've done minimal processing, or there's a string of similar images.

Just a small addition... I downloaded an extension for the Photos app called ViewExif. When I use it on any of the imported photos in the Photos app, it tells me they are JPEGs, yet when I view them in Affinity they are RAW (this is correct, I shoot entirely in RAW). Is the Photos app hiding the RAW files and only showing a JPEG copy?

I'd suggest trying FileBrowser app.

Images and files can be moved around both between and within devices (and cloud) - and (importantly) thumbs, file-types, file sizes, date and time are all clearly visible.

Using FileBrowser, RAW's can be accessed at their location (even if not on iPad) and opened directly into AffinPhoto.  (Bypassing the limited Import options of AP).

FileBrowser Lite is free, and (apart from Cloud sharing) has most of the full version capabilities.

FileBrowser-Screenshot-1.png

On 12/15/2017 at 7:23 AM, Glenn said:

I'd suggest trying FileBrowser app.

Images and files can be moved around both between and within devices (and cloud) - and (importantly) thumbs, file-types, file sizes, date and time are all clearly visible.

Using FileBrowser, RAW's can be accessed at their location (even if not on iPad) and opened directly into AffinPhoto.  (Bypassing the limited Import options of AP).

FileBrowser Lite is free, and (apart from Cloud sharing) has most of the full version capabilities.

FileBrowser-Screenshot-1.png

Is the a way to attach apple card reader and see the images from SD card?

was not be able to find it

photo works.... sorry, I was going to add that I have no experience of SD to iPad at all. I’m not surprised the Apple reader doesn’t show (given the closed-shop ethos of iOS) but Stratospherix might be worth asking.

I’m assuming then the Card Reader will import only to Photos? But the Photos app Library can still be accessed from FileBrowser. Would that not work?

• 2 months later...

I have the same problem with the same (almost)  workflow. I wanted to get away from the desktop ( and Adobe) and work mainly with the iPad Pro and Affinty, but apparently that doesn’t fit Apple’s vision:  No import into iPad without going through Photos, and no support for something as basic as the desktop app’s “i” button in iOS.

The Affinity part of the workflow works better than I hoped but the EXIF/metadata black hole of iOS/Photos/iCloud Photo Library has ruined everything. Third party apps like Exif Viewer help, but again everything falls apart when the file goes back to Photos and iCloud. 

I have to assume Apple is going to eventually phase out JPEG, only support its proprietary format, and eliminate RAW completely by making the workflow too burdensome. It’s not that Apple wants users to do it Apple’s way, they insist that Apple’s way is the only way.  

I use wd MyPassport Wireless Pro. Can insert SD card into that and transfer the files to Documents (Readdle free app) on the iPad. This preserves metadata and file names. I can use Share to Open in AP direct from HDD and Export to MyCloud app to get back on HDD. Alternatively I just put them in a folder in Documents (from wireless HDD) and use AP to Open from Cloud then choose Documents folder. Saves go straight to Documents folder.

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/