You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi All,

I am looking to purchase Affinity Photo Software to replace Adobe Photoshop. 

I have the below questions.

1.) Can we use Existing Photoshop Plugins ( Like Nik, Topaz, Neat Image etc) ?
2.) Can I save the image in a TIFF Format with layers in tact and continue to use the same ?
3.) Is Affinity photo 16 bit or 8 Bit  processing software ?
4.) Are the shortcuts in Photoshop same as Affinity Photo ?
5.) Are the future upgrades from Affinity Photo Free ?

Can someone help me to the right resource to learn Affinity Photo as well ?

• Staff

Hi Krishna Prasad Kotti,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :

1. Not all of them work (and this vary depending the OS you are using) but yes Affinity Photo does support Photoshop Plugins. This is still being expanded/worked on.

2. Yes, you can also include Affinity Photo specific data (layers, adjustments etc) in the TIFF file if you want.

3. Affinity is able to process images in 8/16/32 bits.

4. No all but you can customise them to suit your needs

5. Yes for minor updates (1.7, 1.8 etc), up to version  2.0 which is a paid upgrade.

Thank you for the Information.

Can you let me know what is a major upgrade for Affinity Photo ?

I wanted to use Luminar as a plugin for Affinity Photo, But I see that it is not supported in the list. Are there plans for it to be supported ?

I wanted to use tk panels plugin for Affinity Photo, I don't see that in the list. Is that not compatible ?

Also when I open a file which was saved as Tiff in Affinity Photo, its fine but when I open the same file in Photoshop it does not open the same way. Any way to have the file inter compatible ?

• Staff

Hi Krishna Prasad Kotti,

1. A ("major") upgrade is going from version 1 to version 2 or from v2 to 3 for example. Minor updates are what we offer for free between major versions like going from version 1.6 to 1.7 then to 1.8 an so on.

2. Regarding the plugins: there isn't a simple answer here - there's some cases where it does depend only on us but there's also others where we need plugin's developers support to make things works properly. There's also other considerations to take in account like some restrictions imposed by the App Store sandboxing policies which limits what plugins can do when called from other apps. Currently Luminar doesn't run on the Mac and although it starts on Windows there's also issues outputting the result back to the app. Only someone from the dev team is able to tell you if Luminar will run or not in Affinity Photo.

3. No, tk panels are not compatible. They rely on automation and other advanced API functions not supported by Affinity Photo.

4. Not sure to what differences you are referring to without more details - are you saving/exporting the TIFF file with Save Affinity layers ticked? If that's the case the Affinity layers are only editable when the TIFF file is opened in our application. Adobe Photoshop doesn't have access to them.

5. If you already have the plugins installed in the Adobe Photoshop Plugins folder you only have to go to Affinity Photo Preferences, Photoshop Plugins section, then in the Plugin Search Folders filled click the Add button and point/browse to that Photoshop Plugins folder. Tick Allow "Unknown" plugins to be used and if you are using a Mac computer press the Authorise Global button on the bottom right then Authorise again in the Finder windows that will open (this button doesn't exist on the Windows version). Close the Affinity Preferences window and restart Affinity Photo. The recognised plugins should then appear in the Filters menu.

1 minute ago, MEB said:

Hi Krishna Prasad Kotti,

1. A ("major") upgrade is going from version 1 to version 2 or from v2 to 3 for example. Minor updates are what we offer for free between major versions like going from version 1.6 to 1.7 then to 1.8 an so on.

2. Regarding the plugins: there isn't a simple answer here - there's some cases where it does depend only on us but there's also others where we need plugin's developers support to make things works properly. There's also other considerations to take in account like some restrictions imposed by the App Store sandboxing policies which limits what plugins can do when called from other apps. Currently Luminar doesn't run on the Mac and although it starts on Windows there's also issues outputting the result back to the app. Only someone from the dev team is able to tell you if Luminar will run or not in Affinity Photo.

3. No, tk panels are not compatible. They rely on automation and other advanced API functions not supported by Affinity Photo.

4. Not sure to what differences you are referring to without more details - are you saving the TIFF with 

Thank you for the information. It is useful.

Regarding Saving as TIFF file. Currently I am having Affinity Trail and I saved a image as TIFF format from Affinity Photo with Layers Intact. When I open it back in Photoshop I only see it as a single layer..

Is this because Affinity Photo is saving it in a different format ?