You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Questions about Microsoft Store version

Hello,

I have few questions about buying Affinity Photo on the Microsoft Store.

The current deal and automatic updates out of the box are nice, but I don't have a strong trust towards the MS Store and whether it will last or not.

1. Is it possible to use the beta versions posted on the forum if I buy the app through MS Store?

2. Is the MS Store update for the application available right at the moment when the release gets released elsewhere? Or is there some delay?

3. What if MS Store would be discontinued; is there some contigency plan with Affinity, that they would try to transfer our licenses to the version they provide?

King regards

PK

• Staff

Hi P K,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

1. Yes, you can use the Betas.

2. We can push updates faster to the non-appstore version but Ideally yes, we try to keep releases synchronised.

3. It's unlikely this will ever happen. Not only Microsoft makes money from the Store itself (they receive a part to store/distribute/update the apps) it's also an important part of their strategy for the OS itself.

Hello,

I thought the licenses between normally downloadable application and store application are not transferable; or are the betas excluded from this?

I've also read in the other forum posts that version 2.0 will be a paid upgrade. Will we need to buy completly different Affinity Photo app from the store once 2.0 is released?

On ‎11‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 10:35 AM, MEB said:

Hi P K,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

1. Yes, you can use the Betas.

2. We can push updates faster to the non-appstore version but Ideally yes, we try to keep releases synchronised.

3. It's unlikely this will ever happen. Not only Microsoft makes money from the Store itself (they receive a part to store/distribute/update the apps) it's also an important part of their strategy for the OS itself.

3) In a previous post one of you said Affinity store will have longer life than the Microsoft one

• Staff

Hi P K,

The Betas will check if there's a legitimate retail version installed. If there's one they will run/work as expected, if not they will refuse to run.

Regarding version 2.0, it's still to soon to know how all this will develop. There may be changes to the stores that allow for paid upgrades (or not) so we will have to wait and see. We are still far away form v2.

Hi lugiank,

I know exactly to what post you are referring to. I'm just saying i don't believe the Microsoft Store will disappear anytime soon. Apple and Microsoft are two tech giants with a large impact on the market. Their app stores are probably the future of software distribution (or at least an important part of it i believe) so i think we will not have to worry about it. The Affinity Store is under our own control thus the reason we can assure it will be around as well.