You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Dimensions on drawings made in Designer

I am new to this forum. I am a P.C. user so I hope it is alright for me to post here.

I have used Serif Draw Plus for many years and being a Builder (now retired) I found Draw Plus ideal for dealing with small designs such as extensions, staircases, alterations etc. which require technical drawings with the facility for inserting dimensions. Other CAD programs will cope admirably with this type of work but they have the disadvantage of being over complicated to use for this type of work whereas Serif products will do all that I require with accuracy and ease. I have looked at the free trial for Designer and although it seems very powerful and similar in operation to Draw Plus I am unable to find any facility for adding and updating dimensions to a drawing as can be done from connector tool>dimension tool in Draw Plus.

My question is: can Designer mark dimensions on drawings? and if so can anyone give me some guidance in this matter.

Thanks MEB, that would explain why I was unable to find such facilityO.o. A pity as far as I'm concerned because that was the main use I had for DrawPlus. I will have to carry on using DrawPlus which by todays standards would probably be considered by many to be rather 'clunky' even though I find it very adequate for my needs. I will keep my eyes open for any upgrades to Designer as it seems to have some other impressive capabilities but for now, following a very close lightning strike which spelt sudden death for my DPX6 and fried my computer, I am making do with my previous copy of DPX4

28 minutes ago, Happy Harry said:

for now, following a very close lightning strike which spelt sudden death for my DPX6 and fried my computer, I am making do with my previous copy of DPX4

If you start a new thread in the CommunityPlus Forum and choose ‘Customer Services’ as the product category, someone at Serif should be able to arrange for a fresh download if you bought the download version of DPX6. They may be able to offer you a download even if you purchased a disc which has been lost or damaged.

Alternatively, you may wish to consider purchasing a copy of the last version, DPX8. As a ‘legacy’ product, it’s only £20/$25 now.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• 3 months later...

Hi Group,

Like Harry, see quote below, I'm a Windows Affinity user that's moved on from Draw Plus 8. I too miss the 'Dimensions on drawings' feature of DP8 that is so useful within my small metal/wood work projects. So I'd like to add my name to a request for this facility be bumped up the priority list for inclusion in Affinity as soon as possible.

In all other respects I'm very impressed with Affinity and look forward to making continued use of it. Well done team.

On 10/12/2017 at 4:56 PM, Happy Harry said:

I am new to this forum. I am a P.C. user so I hope it is alright for me to post here.

I have used Serif Draw Plus for many years and being a Builder (now retired) I found Draw Plus ideal for dealing with small designs such as extensions, staircases, alterations etc. which require technical drawings with the facility for inserting dimensions. Other CAD programs will cope admirably with this type of work but they have the disadvantage of being over complicated to use for this type of work whereas Serif products will do all that I require with accuracy and ease. I have looked at the free trial for Designer and although it seems very powerful and similar in operation to Draw Plus I am unable to find any facility for adding and updating dimensions to a drawing as can be done from connector tool>dimension tool in Draw Plus.

My question is: can Designer mark dimensions on drawings? and if so can anyone give me some guidance in this matter.

• 4 years later...

Welcome to the forums @Madhulika

No, there are currently no dimensioning tools in the Affinity applications.

There are measurement tools in Designer V2 but they don’t add anything to the document, they’re just for measuring.

Serif don’t tell us about their future plans, so we won’t know if this sort of thing becomes available until it becomes available.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...