You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Vignette - how to apply?

Hi,

I'm new and I've been trying to apply the Vignette but it does not seem to be working. I watched the tutorials on layers and also gone through a search on this forum but I don't seem to be able to apply it.

I tried using the Live Filter method. It seems only the Vignette will not apply. When I click on the other filters in the options it seems to work.

What am I doing wrong?

I am using the Windows version and was prompted to update to the 1.6.2.97

Would appreciate any advice or guidance. Thanks!

Well there are several ways to create vignettes, so try out some of them and also take a look how the layer options, modes and settings etc. do influence it's appearance ...

... and so on. - Play around and see if you can reproduce one of these for your photo.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

• 2 months later...

After downloading my paid version last night (Windows version, on a Asus UX490) I had no results using any available instructions over a 2 hour period.  The only way I could get a vignette was if I loaded a unprocessed RAW file and the first thing I did was apply the vignette.  No results at all with JPEG, TIFF, or any partially worked files.

Loading the same files in Photo Director 9, or ACDsee ultimate I was able to produce a vignette on the various files.

I love what I can do with Affinity Photo, and I really liked the quality of Affinity's Vignette.

What do we need to do to work around this flaw?

27 minutes ago, PeteThailand said:

After downloading my paid version last night (Windows version, on a Asus UX490) I had no results using any available instructions over a 2 hour period.  The only way I could get a vignette was if I loaded a unprocessed RAW file and the first thing I did was apply the vignette.  No results at all with JPEG, TIFF, or any partially worked files.

Loading the same files in Photo Director 9, or ACDsee ultimate I was able to produce a vignette on the various files.

I love what I can do with Affinity Photo, and I really liked the quality of Affinity's Vignette.

What do we need to do to work around this flaw?

It seems to work OK, see a rather overdone vignette below.

vig.thumb.jpg.431b7a735cd24ce8bfee0ab93971efa8.jpg

Did you select the image layer before going Layer > New Live Filter Layer > Vignette Filter ?

If it still wont work can you press Print Screen so we can see what is going on.

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

1 hour ago, toltec said:

It seems to work OK, see a rather overdone vignette below.

vig.thumb.jpg.431b7a735cd24ce8bfee0ab93971efa8.jpg

Did you select the image layer before going Layer > New Live Filter Layer > Vignette Filter ?

If it still wont work can you press Print Screen so we can see what is going on.

Thanks for the FAST help, after I updated Photo this morning the vignette tool came to life, I don't know what the update was about but the program seems to have sorted it's self out.  Thanks for the assist!

Pete